Beavers Lose To Arizona

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

SuperDuck
Senior

Beavers Lose To Arizona

Post by SuperDuck »

That could come back to bite us, as they went from likely being ranked in the Top-10 to probably dropping to #15-20.

Three weeks ago we had a ranked WSU, highly ranked USC, highly ranked Utah and OSU left on our schedule. We thrashed Utah and beat WSU, but they weren't ranked. USC will likely stay about where they are at #24.

You'd think we'd get a bid to the playoffs if we run the table and beat UW in the Pac-12 championship game, but things are tight at the top, so there's no guarantee that will happen.

Texas and Oklahoma are in a similar situation. Whichever one wins out, if that happens, would win the Big-12 and likely be in because the conference is in a 5 way tie for first right now, so their remaining SOS should be good.

Florida State will almost certainly be in if they win out.

Georgia is almost a lock - even with a close loss, unless maybe if it's in the SEC championship game.

That leaves one slot remaining and either Michigan or Ohio State will almost certainly get it.

That would come down to the Committee choosing between the Big-12 and Pac-12 champion. If it's Texas, they'd almost certainly be the choice because they would have avenged their only loss, plus they beat Alabama on the road.

It's gonna' be tight.
John 3:36
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Re: Beavers Lose To Arizona

Post by Tray Dub »

I think we'd get in over Oklahoma, very close with Texas. Could come down to style points.

Beavs losing didn't help but it always seemed unlikely they'd reach us unscathed.
squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

Tray Dub wrote:I think we'd get in over Oklahoma, very close with Texas. Could come down to style points.

Beavs losing didn't help but it always seemed unlikely they'd reach us unscathed.
No worries, I'm predicting a Texas loss against Kansas state.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

But we beat Colorado, the best team on the planet right now despite the rankings!

That said, we're in if we run the table. We have the look of a championship-caliber team and everyone can see it. There's just no way the committee passes us up right now if we're the one-loss champs of the toughest top-to-bottom conference.

Oregon State ran into a buzzsaw at Arizona and lots of people (myself included) saw it coming. But the Beavers should fatten up a bit on Colorado and Stanford before facing UW.

Washington will take care of business against USC and then gets Utah in Seattle -- that should be two wins.

The only real question mark in the remaining Pac-12 schedule is UW vs OSU in Corvallis. I predict the Beavers win that game. The Huskies would still be a Top 10 team and the Beavers would likely move into or near the Top 10 as well. That would set us up to beat two Top 10 teams in our final two games of the season.

Utah also has a great chance of winning three of its last four games and finishing in the top 15. I also think Utah could lose two and still finish just inside the top 25.

The only thing that I could see derailing us would be Washington having a complete meltdown and losing two games before the CCG. They've looked vulnerable in recent weeks, but Penix is due for some big games.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Oregon is getting plenty of love without rooting for the bitter beavers or huskies to win. We will be fine if we just win out.
Last edited by buckmarkduck on Sun Oct 29, 2023 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
pdxduck2013
Five Star Recruit

Post by pdxduck2013 »

If we win out and are conference champs, we'll be in the playoff. That won't even be up for debate. That would mean we've beaten more ranked teams than anyone AND avenged the loss against current #5 Washington. Don't over think it.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

pdxduck2013 wrote:If we win out and are conference champs, we'll be in the playoff. That won't even be up for debate. That would mean we've beaten more ranked teams than anyone AND avenged the loss against current #5 Washington. Don't over think it.
This.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
bellsduck
Senior
GM: Utah Jazz

Post by bellsduck »

There most certainly are scenarios even with Oregon winning out that they don't get in. As much as I don't want that to be true it just is. And if you don't recognize that then you haven't watched the way the Pac12 is looked at compared to other leagues.
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

bellsduck wrote:There most certainly are scenarios even with Oregon winning out that they don't get in. As much as I don't want that to be true it just is. And if you don't recognize that then you haven't watched the way the Pac12 is looked at compared to other leagues.
You’re referring to how they’ve historically been viewed. Most of the media has mentioned that the PAC is the strongest conference in the nation this season. They are clearly viewed as stronger than the Big 12, which is what it would come down to if deciding between 2 1 loss teams. I don’t see any way this season that a team that doesn’t win its conference goes ahead of a team with the same record that did. There just isn’t a dominant team this year, which is usually what gets a team a pass when it slips up.