Which future opponents should we play? (2023 edition)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Which future opponents should we play? (2023 edition)

Post by DuckzRule »

Right now, while my biggest wish for the Ducks is to finally play against Alabama to finally put an end to the wishes multiple people had for the matchup, I also had the idea of Oregon facing off against LSU but for another completely different motive.

Bo Nix vs. Jayden Daniels

While it is extremely unlikely the Ducks and Tigers play this season, I would love to see that QB matchup to see who actually is the better Heisman candidate, plus getting another shot at the Tigers after that disastrous kickoff game against them in 2011.

Other personal opponent ideas for our Ducks would be, by conference:

ACC: Stanford, California, Clemson and Miami
Big 12: All four Pac-12 newcomers and Kansas State
SEC: Everyone except Vanderbilt and Kentucky

I also want to see Washington State and Oregon State (the latter of which is getting more likely to be added into the schedule).
buckmarkduck
All-American

Re: Which future opponents should we play? (2023 edition)

Post by buckmarkduck »

We are going to play a far mor difficult schedule going forward. I’d rather just play a mid tier Big 12 team and a couple MWC teams, rather than scheduling a SEC team. And we need to never schedule a road game against any of the OOC teams.
DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Post by DuckzRule »

buckmarkduck wrote:We are going to play a far mor difficult schedule going forward. I’d rather just play a mid tier Big 12 team and a couple MWC teams, rather than scheduling a SEC team. And we need to never schedule a road game against any of the OOC teams.
You're not wrong though, but I feel Oregon will still schedule a road game no matter what.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

California is the lifeblood of this program. Need to keep games in California. Also, Utah and Arizona.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Chattanooga, Georgia St, and North Alabama, but definitely not New Mexico St
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

Oregon St is the most important to me, other than that just line them up.
pudgejeff
Senior
GM: Sacramento Kings GM

Post by pudgejeff »

Alan wrote:Oregon St is the most important to me, other than that just line them up.
Oregon should never play Oregon State again in football. It will always be a no reward, big loss situation for Oregon and be Oregon states most important game. Sad to say, but it’s time to move on.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

pudgejeff wrote:
Alan wrote:Oregon St is the most important to me, other than that just line them up.
Oregon should never play Oregon State again in football. It will always be a no reward, big loss situation for Oregon and be Oregon states most important game. Sad to say, but it’s time to move on.
100% agree, plus with their recent antics I don’t want anything to do with them but that’s probably just me.
duckpoint
Three Star Recruit

Post by duckpoint »

OregonFan4Life wrote:Chattanooga, Georgia St, and North Alabama, but definitely not New Mexico St
So you want the SEC to share the cupcakes with pink frosting and rainbow sprinkles?
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

pudgejeff wrote:
Absolutely. Lose Lose situation. Don't care if we ever play halloween high school again.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

DuckzRule wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:We are going to play a far mor difficult schedule going forward. I’d rather just play a mid tier Big 12 team and a couple MWC teams, rather than scheduling a SEC team. And we need to never schedule a road game against any of the OOC teams.
You're not wrong though, but I feel Oregon will still schedule a road game no matter what.

No top 10 teams go to non power 2 schools. We need to stop it. Don’t schedule at anywhere that isn’t a power 2 conference
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

OregonFan4Life wrote:Chattanooga, Georgia St, and North Alabama, but definitely not New Mexico St
Well played!
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

buckmarkduck wrote:
DuckzRule wrote:

No top 10 teams go to non power 2 schools. We need to stop it. Don’t schedule at anywhere that isn’t a power 2 conference
I don't really see the B1G 10 as far more difficult. There may be the off year where you get both OSU and Michigan, but outside of that, I don't see anything that makes it stronger than the PAC-12. There's a reason OSU and Michigan can just waltz into the Big Game undefeated every year. Also, Georgia travels to Georgia Tech every other year. Washington will travel to Wazzu. Although it's not imminent, I suspect Bedlam will be back within a few years. If other big rivalries were broken up by conference realignment, I'm sure those schools would find a way to keep it going. The only recent instance I can think of with that not happening is Texas A&M - Texas, but I think we all know that whole move was little brother A&M trying to distance itself from Texas. If the roles were reversed, I suspect they would have figured something out.

I absolutely think they should continue the Civil War. It's nice to have the little semblance of tradition remaining in college football, and there should be no reason to duck the Beavers. With the 12 team playoff, you can lose that non-conference game and still know you'll be in with a conference championship. I just think with 12 teams in the mix, there should be no reason for cowardly scheduling. If a matchup with an inferior OSU team is the reason you don't make the top 12, then you probably didn't deserve to be in it in the first place.
webfoots2001
Two Star Recruit

Post by webfoots2001 »

If Oregon isn’t good enough to beat a G5 team an hour bus ride away from Eugene they probably aren’t good enough to be competitive in the playoffs that year anyway. Moving to the B1G was the right choice for Oregon football but that doesn’t mean they should abandon 100+ years of tradition.