Worst/Hardest Power 5 Jobs

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Worst/Hardest Power 5 Jobs

Post by StevensTechU »

Was listening to a the "Until Saturday" podcast, which this week features Bralon Addison talking about the Civil War. On it, they talk for a moment about the worst/hardest jobs in Power 5 football. A number of factors come up, but I'm certain these schools make up the top of the list (no order).

Vanderbilt
Kansas
Oregon State
Washington State
Duke
Syracuse
Boston College
Northwestern
Rutgers
Wake Forest
Arizona
Illinois
Kansas State
West Virginia
Cal
Mississippi State
BYU
Indiana
Iowa State

Resources, recruiting base, expectations, competition, and other factors come into play (like having to live in Kansas). I'll take my own stab at this later.
Last edited by StevensTechU on Wed Nov 22, 2023 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Duck07
All-American

Re: Worst/Hardest Power 5 Jobs

Post by Duck07 »

I think you can win with Nerds, so some of those ACC jobs I think are more about "do you have a system players want to be a part of and can recruit" even if Syracuse, BC and Duke don't always get big-time booster support for football.

Arizona though is the one school on that list that is and has always been a school that could do so much more in recruiting because of where they are in between SoCal and Texas. Fisch might be on the way to finally doing it, or he might be on the way to a better job that will give him a 60M boost in pay.

I do get the overall point that when looking at those schools in the last say 30 years, the success they have is largely attributed to a specific coach than an overall period of sustained success.
One thing some of those places do have as far as making them more favorable in appearance is that the job security is higher.
squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

Duck07 wrote:I think you can win with Nerds, so some of those ACC jobs I think are more about "do you have a system players want to be a part of and can recruit" even if Syracuse, BC and Duke don't always get big-time booster support for football.

Arizona though is the one school on that list that is and has always been a school that could do so much more in recruiting because of where they are in between SoCal and Texas. Fisch might be on the way to finally doing it, or he might be on the way to a better job that will give him a 60M boost in pay.

I do get the overall point that when looking at those schools in the last say 30 years, the success they have is largely attributed to a specific coach than an overall period of sustained success.
One thing some of those places do have as far as making them more favorable in appearance is that the job security is higher.
I hope Fisch stays. I like him and what he's done there. I also would hate to go against him when he's coaching for a school that's more committed to football.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

I think Vanderbilt, OSU, and WSU have to be the toughest.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

StevensTechU wrote:Was listening to a the "Until Saturday" podcast, which this week features Bralon Addison talking about the Civil War. On it, they talk for a moment about the worst/hardest jobs in Power 5 football. A number of factors come up, but I'm certain these schools make up the top of the list (no order).

Vanderbilt
Kansas
Oregon State
Washington State
Duke
Syracuse
Boston College
Northwestern
Rutgers
Wake Forest
Arizona
Illinois
Kansas State
West Virginia
Cal
Mississippi State
BYU
Indiana
Iowa State

Resources, recruiting base, expectations, competition, and other factors come into play (like having to live in Kansas). I'll take my own stab at this later.

Just a thought. With football being the biggest source of income for most athletic departments, you would think that it would be the biggest area of focus, as far as trying to create a winning culture.

That said, because of the job quality, it's hard for these schools to keep a quality coaching staff because better programs will almost always poach them.

I was just thinking of James Franklin being one example. He got the Vanderbilt job, turned the program around pretty fast, and then he's gone to Penn State.
John 3:36
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

squintsdd wrote:
Duck07 wrote:I think you can win with Nerds, so some of those ACC jobs I think are more about "do you have a system players want to be a part of and can recruit" even if Syracuse, BC and Duke don't always get big-time booster support for football.

I hope Fisch stays. I like him and what he's done there. I also would hate to go against him when he's coaching for a school that's more committed to football.

I think people are having a hard time rapping their heads around the fact that the big 12 will no longer be a power conference. Fisch isn’t staying there. Especially if Florida fires Napier, which Fisch is an alum of and got his start under Spurrier.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

ARIZONA
ARIZONA STATE
BAYLOR
CINCINNATI
COLORADO
HOUSTON
IOWA STATE
KANSAS
KANSAS ST
OKLAHOMA ST
TCU
TEXAS TECH
WEST VIRGINIA
UCF
UTAH

Bunch of good teams for sure but nothing that screams power conference? Not sold on that assessment. Better than the ACC overall I think.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine