Potential players who sit out bowl game

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

OregonDucks
One Star Recruit

Re: Potential players who sit out bowl game

Post by OregonDucks »

StevensTechU wrote:
SuperDuck wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:I haven't seen Ferguson on any draft list. JPJ would be a top 4 round pick if he came out, so theoretically him.

We'll see what Ty Thompson is made of in this game. The "He's come a long way and been so loyal" crowd will finally have their day in court against the "The offense stinks when he's in and he won't win us a natty" bunch.
I'm not sure that this one game against a highly ranked opponent would really be a fair assessment of what the Ducks have with Ty. He's never started a game in college. That, plus likely playing a top-10/12 team on national TV would be a LOT of pressure on him. That would be even more so if he has starters sitting out the game.

Hopefully Bo plays, but that remains to be seen.
You don't know what kind of quarterback you have until you see them under pressure. Playing with 90% of the first string against quality competition is the ideal scenario for seeing if he's the guy in 2024.

+ Who cares if Oregon loses a bowl and finishes the season with 3 vs. 2 losses?

Yay, we finished the 2023-24 season ranked #10!
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

StevensTechU wrote:
SuperDuck wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:I haven't seen Ferguson on any draft list. JPJ would be a top 4 round pick if he came out, so theoretically him.

We'll see what Ty Thompson is made of in this game. The "He's come a long way and been so loyal" crowd will finally have their day in court against the "The offense stinks when he's in and he won't win us a natty" bunch.
I'm not sure that this one game against a highly ranked opponent would really be a fair assessment of what the Ducks have with Ty. He's never started a game in college. That, plus likely playing a top-10/12 team on national TV would be a LOT of pressure on him. That would be even more so if he has starters sitting out the game.

Hopefully Bo plays, but that remains to be seen.
You don't know what kind of quarterback you have until you see them under pressure. Playing with 90% of the first string against quality competition is the ideal scenario for seeing if he's the guy in 2024.
Totally agree, though I’m not expecting a great game, just want to see some signs of greatness from Ty. Depending on the opponent no doubt he may have struggles and a couple of picks, but that won’t meant he won’t improve and look way better against a weak Hawaii team.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

droop10 wrote:
greenyellow wrote:With Oregon now out of the CFP race and relegated to just a NY6 bowl (likely the Fiesta Bowl,) the question now comes as to who plays in the game. There's probably going to be a few people who hit the transfer portal but those are likely people who aren't contributing much. Here's who I could see legitimately sit out and prepare for the NFL:
Bo Nix
Bucky Irving
Troy Franklin
Terrance Ferguson
Ajani Cornelius
Brandon Dorlus
Khyree Jackson
I hope Bo opts out. Nobody cares about the NY6 bowl result, and I’d like to see Ty get a shot to at least prove himself. I have a feeling they’re taking a transfer for next season, but at least give the kid a go. I’ll always be about using the bowl games to get young players playing time over winning a meaningless game. That said, if a guy really wants to stick with the team and play one last game, I can’t fault him.
Yup, bowl game really means nothing. This should be a fully experimental game IMO.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
alxtw
Five Star Recruit

Post by alxtw »

I'd love for every starter to play and finished strong but I'd rather the NFL bound guys sit out and prevent a serious injury. (Even with insurance purchased, the long term dent to the wallet will be larger)

Hoping our opponent will have just as many, if not more, impact players sitting out of the bowl game.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

I don't know what you guys are talking about. This is going to be a NY6 bowl game, hopefully against a great team. Why would players not want that exposure after playing all those garbage teams in the Pac 12? It makes zero sense to work that hard all season to get to this point and then just throw it way. Injuries can happen any time; why would you play all those games during the season, but then cite potential injury now?

For some reason I thought NIL would negate some of this petty Sewell-like thinking. You're getting paid now, so play the games!
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

alxtw wrote:I'd love for every starter to play and finished strong but I'd rather the NFL bound guys sit out and prevent a serious injury. (Even with insurance purchased, the long term dent to the wallet will be larger)

Hoping our opponent will have just as many, if not more, impact players sitting out of the bowl game.
For that reason, I think Georgia is the better matchup than Alabama. McConkey and Bowers are already beat up and almost certainly sitting out of the bowl. Alabama would have its QB and most of its weapons.
DmoneyDuck
Freshman

Post by DmoneyDuck »

The CFP or Bust mentality is mind-boggling ... this will be just the second NY6 Bowl Game for the Ducks in nine (9!) seasons and some just want to toss it in the trash. No thank you.

I'm excited for a big time bowl game and I hope our players are as well.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Literally Michigans C won every award and was 1st team all American, and went in the 5th round to Seattle. I’m guessing he can make as much in NIL as he can going in the 4-5 round.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

DmoneyDuck wrote:The CFP or Bust mentality is mind-boggling ... this will be just the second NY6 Bowl Game for the Ducks in nine (9!) seasons and some just want to toss it in the trash. No thank you.

As playoffs expands, bowl games lose a lot of luster. Plus so many players tap our before bowl games these days making it even less attractive.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
JIDuck97
Four Star Recruit

Post by JIDuck97 »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
DmoneyDuck wrote:The CFP or Bust mentality is mind-boggling ... this will be just the second NY6 Bowl Game for the Ducks in nine (9!) seasons and some just want to toss it in the trash. No thank you.

As playoffs expands, bowl games lose a lot of luster. Plus so many players tap our before bowl games these days making it even less attractive.
Bowl games lost their luster the moment players started opting put. It's been that way for a while now. They are an extra fun game to play and for fans but the moment big name players don't the games just lose their shine. Still root for your team but playoffs didn't cause this by comparison.