Bo Nix finishes 3rd in Heisman

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

greenyellow

Bo Nix finishes 3rd in Heisman

Post by greenyellow »

As many expected, Bo Nix wasn't able to take home the Heisman Trophy, finishing in 3rd place behind Daniels and Penix.
GDuck
Three Star Recruit

Re: Bo Nix finishes 3rd in Heisman

Post by GDuck »

It’s amazing how much things changed the last weekend. Penix is undefeated and may have been injured but stats weren’t overwhelming and he won when it counted.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

For the second year in a row, the Heisman winner is chosen despite beating nobody. The Heisman has become a popularity award akin to the Nobel Peace Prize.
webfoots2001
Two Star Recruit

Post by webfoots2001 »

Phalanx wrote:For the second year in a row, the Heisman winner is chosen despite beating nobody. The Heisman has become a popularity award akin to the Nobel Peace Prize.
So you wanted Penix to win?
ElPatoLoco
One Star Recruit

Post by ElPatoLoco »

Ya. Me too. I would say No to Penix winning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Yes, the winner of the Pac 12 championship game (and a playoff participant) should have won.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

Phalanx wrote:For the second year in a row, the Heisman winner is chosen despite beating nobody. The Heisman has become a popularity award akin to the Nobel Peace Prize.
Sad isn’t it?
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Post by QuackininBama »

I think Penix should have won as well. If the Heisman is "The best player in the country" then it should include making the players around you better as well. Penix did that, not to mention going undefeated. Now it appears just racking up useless stats while beating no competitive teams is good enough to win.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

I'm honestly not sure who should have won. All had great seasons.

I'd have to look at a few relevant things in order to make a more informed decision.

1. Offensive line protection. How much time did they have to throw on average? Oregon had the superior O-Line. Daniels was on the run a LOT. Penix stayed in the pocket and took a beating a lot but still completed a great percentage of his throws.

2. Did they have a running game? A balanced attack helps take the pressure off the QB. Oregon had the best by far. I'm not sure about LSU, and UW didn't until the second half of the season.

3. Quality of receivers. UW has a clear edge here and as good as Troy Franklin and company have been for Oregon, I'd still put them third behind LSUs guys.

4. Defense. How long was their offense on the field? Time of possession is a big factor. Also, how many snaps did each QB get? Bo sat a lot during garbage time.

5. Competition. I think the Pac-12 was the best overall conference this year, but the SEC was a close second.

6. Was there east coast bias? I have to ask because it's a consideration almost every year.

Based on that, I'd have to almost flip a coin between Penix and Daniels. I love what Bo has done the past two years, but he's also been working in a system that's more suited to his abilities, as well as having the more talented supporting cast.

Thoughts?
John 3:36
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

SuperDuck wrote:I'm honestly not sure who should have won. All had great seasons.

I'd have to look at a few relevant things in order to make a more informed decision.

1. Offensive line protection. How much time did they have to throw on average? Oregon had the superior O-Line. Daniels was on the run a LOT. Penix stayed in the pocket and took a beating a lot but still completed a great percentage of his throws.

2. Did they have a running game? A balanced attack helps take the pressure off the QB. Oregon had the best by far. I'm not sure about LSU, and UW didn't until the second half of the season.

3. Quality of receivers. UW has a clear edge here and as good as Troy Franklin and company have been for Oregon, I'd still put them third behind LSUs guys.

4. Defense. How long was their offense on the field? Time of possession is a big factor. Also, how many snaps did each QB get? Bo sat a lot during garbage time.

5. Competition. I think the Pac-12 was the best overall conference this year, but the SEC was a close second.

6. Was there east coast bias? I have to ask because it's a consideration almost every year.

Based on that, I'd have to almost flip a coin between Penix and Daniels. I love what Bo has done the past two years, but he's also been working in a system that's more suited to his abilities, as well as having the more talented supporting cast.

Thoughts?
1 - OL Protection. Daniels doesn't get to claim all the rushing yards and then bag on the OL so that point means nothing to me.
2 - You can absolutely give credit to Daniels being the rushing attack for LSU but you don't get to claim that a weak RB room is a disadvantage when it comes to stat-padding for Daniels.
3 - Quality of OL, RB and now WR is touching on everything else and would start to hurt players for being on a good team and this clearly wasn't an issue when Joe Burrow had 2 of the greatest College WRs to throw to. Straight up between Odunze, Nabers and Franklin its parsing hairs based on system. I also think all 3 QBs had 2 - 1K yard WRs off the top of my head.
4 - Again, this does nothing for me with choosing between QBs.
5 - Competition is a big aspect to being the most outstanding player in my opinion.
6 - Yes of course there was. Penix won the Far West and Mid-West regions and lost the East/South and NE.

As far as determining who has the better supporting cast, the argument is clearly 3-0 in favor of Penix over Bo. His offensive system suited him better in those crucial games just as the offensive system in LSU helped favor Daniels.

I don't like to say it but yes, Penix should have won on the back of putting up solid numbers and going 13-0 against a difficult schedule while being the one who made plays late in numerous crucial games to seal wins. I can't think of a single Heisman moment that Daniels had to win a game the way I can with Penix.