Civil War to continue? (EDIT: Civil War will continue)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

greenyellow

Re: Civil War to continue? (EDIT: Civil War will continue)

Post by greenyellow »

Looks like WSU and OSU will control the conference and the associated money now after the WA supreme court ruled in their favor. I can see the 10 departing teams continue fighting it so they don't get screwed out of conference revenue for this year.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Duck07 wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:
Duck07 wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:All you OS closet fans are going to have to make a decision. Are you with them in trying to steal 60m from the rest of the conference, or are you going to wake up?
Can you explain how they are stealing money in 23-24 when they are the only members? We left the PAC, by what right do we have to future payments? We weren't arguing 10 months ago when those payments went from 1/12 to 1/10 that USC and UCLA deserved those payments going to the B1G.

We haven’t left the pac. We are still fulfilling our signed contract which ends in 24. If you give notice to your job, do you still not expect to be paid for the time you worked? Or should only to 2 guys who do the least amount of work, who also no one wants to hire, get everyone’s checks?
Has it actually happened that the Pac2 has skipped a payment to the other 10 since the departures were announced?

All I've seen is the other 8 attorneys arguing that the Pac2 must continue to pay for 23-24 without saying a single thing about 24-25.
The 10 only want what is due to them this final year. No one wants anything beyond that. But if Oregon state keeps pushing, they can tie this up in court for years ensuring OS/WSU don’t get anything for a long time. And by then the legal fees will take most tod the money.

What I find comical is that they thing if they keep the pac 12 name, the bowls will all stick with them. The bowls are only tied to our conference because of the top 4/5 brands. They will all bail
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

StevensTechU wrote:I still don't like signing this when OSU is trying to withhold 2023-24 revenues from us. Just bad faith and no reason to throw them a bone.
I suspect it isn't for OSU, but for PR purposes. Over the years, we've seen legislators criticizing Oregon for not playing PSU and keeping that revenue in the State. I shudder to think what could happen if Oregon didn't make every effort to keep the Civil War game alive.

Re: the bowls - I don't blame the Pac 2 for trying to keep bowl ties alive. I don't think they are going to have enough to offer, but there are certainly some decent Mountain West teams that are currently underrepresented in bowls, so maybe there is room to negotiate there.
Everythingsducky
Senior

Post by Everythingsducky »

Phalanx wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:I still don't like signing this when OSU is trying to withhold 2023-24 revenues from us. Just bad faith and no reason to throw them a bone.
I suspect it isn't for OSU, but for PR purposes. Over the years, we've seen legislators criticizing Oregon for not playing PSU and keeping that revenue in the State. I shudder to think what could happen if Oregon didn't make every effort to keep the Civil War game alive.

Re: the bowls - I don't blame the Pac 2 for trying to keep bowl ties alive. I don't think they are going to have enough to offer, but there are certainly some decent Mountain West teams that are currently underrepresented in bowls, so maybe there is room to negotiate there.
Safe to assume the Rose Bowl will now be used solely as a venue for a playoff game? Would think it would be a key replacement game for the BIG championship as well, basically what the Rose Bowl determines (normally).