Oregon Spring Game (April 27 Sat 1 PM)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

buckmarkduck
All-American

Re: Oregon Spring Game (April 27 Sat 1 PM)

Post by buckmarkduck »

I think the ncaa also passed it. Why not just make the helmets larger, lot more protection under the helmet, rather than wearing that ugly padding on the outside.make everyone look like space balls
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

The youtube replay I caught had me thinking Novosad looks good, Moga is fast AF, Jay Harris looks to be the real deal and the Defense is going to be one of our most elite ever.
ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducks5ever »

I was able to watch the first half of the game.

All the QB's looked like they knew what they were doing and had control of the offense.

Not sure what happens to the DB depth chart. Specifically what would happen to Jalil Florence and Dontae Manning when we brought in all those transfers and the younger players (Dakota Fields/Flowers) looked like they could play too

Jordan James and Jay Harris looked like the top 2 backs. Have to wonder where that leaves Noah Whittington.

Ferg had some uncharacteristic drops. Hope he can clean that up before the season.

Overall excited for next season. There's serious talent on this team.

Did anyone have any takeaways on how the ILB depth is behind Bassa/Jacobs? I don't recall seeing much LB play since the DL was so dominant.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Here's a 30+ minute highlight/recap of the Oregon Spring Game:
73duck
Three Star Recruit

Post by 73duck »

The QB room has come a long way since 2021.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Hodgepodge of thoughts...

Jay Harris looked like a future starter, and Limar looks faster than in the fall.

The starting OL will be good, but I've worried about the depth and the scrimmage definitely seemed to confirm that some. That unit might only be as good as they are healthy.

Kenyon Sadiq looks ready to make plays. I'm not super high on the tight end room overall, as I think the recruiting has been poor and Ferguson lost quite a bit of athleticism by bulking up. Hopefully Sadiq can be a dude as a route runner and blocker on top of occasional ball carrier.

The defensive line is full of studs. The linebackers are like the OL - fantastic starters and questionable depth. Overall, I think these groups look great as a defensive unit. The DBs have talent to spare.

Justius Lowe needs a shout-out at WR. He was one of those guys who got a scholarship because the numbers were in his favor, and he was an in state kid with good speed. But he's really turning into a wide receiver. Sky appears to be the limit. Kasper also looks like he's taken a step forward, so the future at the position is looking good.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Our talent just looked elite all day long on both sides of the field. IDK if I could say that about a past spring game.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
lmduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by lmduck »

UOducksTK1 wrote:Our talent just looked elite all day long on both sides of the field. IDK if I could say that about a past spring game.
Totally agree and even though it was a glorified scrimmage the team looked prepared and intense.

Rarely could say that under Cristobal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

How can you tell if the talent is elite in a spring game? When the DLine is pressuring the QB is is a great pass rush or bad OLine play? Legit question, cause I remember the 2009 Spring Game and thinking that OLine was awful, which they were and the main reason the ducks lost to Boise St in the opener, but what about this spring game is giving so many people confident that the talent/team is really good?
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

OregonFan4Life wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:16 am How can you tell if the talent is elite in a spring game? When the DLine is pressuring the QB is is a great pass rush or bad OLine play? Legit question, cause I remember the 2009 Spring Game and thinking that OLine was awful, which they were and the main reason the ducks lost to Boise St in the opener, but what about this spring game is giving so many people confident that the talent/team is really good?
Of all the units to get screwed in a spring game, it's a mixed hodge-podge 1st and 2nd (and 3rd) team OL. What I thought was good at least was things like Connerly vs Burch matching up and that's where you can get an idea of progress.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

OregonFan4Life wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:16 am How can you tell if the talent is elite in a spring game? When the DLine is pressuring the QB is is a great pass rush or bad OLine play? Legit question, cause I remember the 2009 Spring Game and thinking that OLine was awful, which they were and the main reason the ducks lost to Boise St in the opener, but what about this spring game is giving so many people confident that the talent/team is really good?
Eye ball test. Size, speed, aggression, amount of depth (with some exception like StevensTechU said about OL), etc.

5 stars do make a difference lol.

UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Duck07 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:24 am
Of all the units to get screwed in a spring game, it's a mixed hodge-podge 1st and 2nd (and 3rd) team OL. What I thought was good at least was things like Connerly vs Burch matching up and that's where you can get an idea of progress.
It's very true^ Easily the most exposed unit typically in spring games. We have enough coming back where I'm not super worried about our starting OL. Our depth though could be a problem.. Strother and Iuli should add some experience. But outside of them and maybe Rodgers, we have almost 0 experience behind our starting 5.

UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

pezsez1 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:51 pm
- the season starts in 18 weeks. We don’t have a game next Saturday. Injured players will have time to heal.

Lanning didn't give any specific injury updates in his postgame statements, but he also seemed confident that guys would have time to get healthy by the start of the season. Hopefully that's the case.
Dontae Manning, Kobe Savage, Traeshon Holden, and Jurrion Dickey were all players I saw got hurt. Was there anyone else?

Dickey is in a boot, but hard to know if cautionary decision or a significant injury.

lmduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by lmduck »

Dan commented after the game that he did not think any of the injuries were serious.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Thanks for the replies guys, I could tell the front seven is good especially with guys like Burch who looks like an adult playing middle school football with his size/speed, but for the first 3 quarters I couldn’t tell if the struggles in the passing game was the QB/WR’s or just great play from the secondary.

As good as the defense was, did anyone else feel slightly concerned about the interior run defense? It wasn’t bad by any means but thought it could’ve been better and it only worries me cause of how many teams the ducks will face that run a slow, boring, power run offense all game long. Is Harmon a need for this team?