Speculation: Texas and Texas A&M to the Pac-10.

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

GoDucksIn09
Senior

Re: Speculation: Texas and Texas A&M to the Pac-10.

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

I personally do not like the idea of expansion.. or the loss of the round robin. Just because the SEC and Big XII are doing it does not mean everyone else has to. I look at the SEC and look at their OOC and about puke. Teams like Florida and Alabama should be purely ashamed of themselves putting teams like Troy.. and Charleston Southern on their schedule every year. The SEC is a great football conference and the top teams can literally beat anybody across the country yet they schedule like they are afraid of scheduling tough OOC teams. To me the round robin is the only true way of defining a true champion. Before the round robin we lost out on possibly playing in the Rose Bowl.. because we did not play the top team as I am sure other teams in conference can say the same thing. If a Pac 10 team wants to play in the NV it is quite simple... go undefeated and will be there. Now that is very difficult in our conference but least we know when we get there we didnt play patises 4x to get there. I truly agree the Pac 10 system is not broken.. so do not fix it. Iffff Texas and Texas A and M would join that sure would make it interesting but I would prefer the round robin which we would have to sacrifice.
ducksrock
Senior

Post by ducksrock »

GoDucksIn09 wrote:I personally do not like the idea of expansion.. or the loss of the round robin. Just because the SEC and Big XII are doing it does not mean everyone else has to. I look at the SEC and look at their OOC and about puke. Teams like Florida and Alabama should be purely ashamed of themselves putting teams like Troy.. and Charleston Southern on their schedule every year. The SEC is a great football conference and the top teams can literally beat anybody across the country yet they schedule like they are afraid of scheduling tough OOC teams. To me the round robin is the only true way of defining a true champion. Before the round robin we lost out on possibly playing in the Rose Bowl.. because we did not play the top team as I am sure other teams in conference can say the same thing. If a Pac 10 team wants to play in the NV it is quite simple... go undefeated and will be there. Now that is very difficult in our conference but least we know when we get there we didnt play patises 4x to get there. I truly agree the Pac 10 system is not broken.. so do not fix it. Iffff Texas and Texas A and M would join that sure would make it interesting but I would prefer the round robin which we would have to sacrifice.

Very well stated....
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

I don't want the Texas schools in the pac-10. For starters, they don't make sense geographically. I mean what's next, adding Rutgers to the pac-10?
nehalem
Four Star Recruit

Post by nehalem »

Unfortunately the honor and integrity of the round-robin system will be over run by the moneyed-
interest-morlocks; similiar to the attack on helms-deep. Only this time, their is no sunrise reprieve.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Morlocks were cave dwellers in "The Time Machine", by H.G. Wells.

Orcs overran Helm's Deep, in Tolkien's, "The Lord of the Rings".

Not to be the lit police.

Analogy is still pretty valid, in either case.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

nehalem
Four Star Recruit

Post by nehalem »

I knew I was going to hear from you on that. I liked the way moneyed-interest-morlocks sounded, instead of moneyed-interest-orcs. I always try not to mix my movie metaphors but sometimes I just can't resist. Just glad somebody know's who the morlocks are.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Orcs are the restless minions of moneyed interest corporate hacks, IMO.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

mikfot
Two Star Recruit

Post by mikfot »

Wow, wounded! You're...............you're...................intelligent! :D :D :D
wheaton4prez
Senior

Post by wheaton4prez »

I do like the tidiness of round robin. But, there are benefits to expanding also ($17+ million more a year if we can get two BCS bids). So, if we're going to do it, I think Texas and A&M would be the best we could ask for. Wouldn't be worth it for lesser teams, imo.

I don't see why we would need to start scheduling cupcakes like the SEC. Why couldn't a Pac-12 schedule tough OOC games as before and include regular big-time match-ups between Oregon, Texas and USC?
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

shear_j wrote:
ducksrock wrote:
Hoagduck wrote:I'd take SDSU and SJSU if it meant death to the round-robin.
Just for interests sake, why do u not like the round robin format? What possible basis can you have for your position? What? You dont want every Pac 10 team to play every other Pac 10 team? That isnt a conference....That is as bad of an idea as the BCS....Always a dispute as to who the best team in the conference is...That makes zero sense to me....For the purpose of joining other leagues in playing substandard preseason games/teams...If that's it, it has my opposition...I say, make the other conferences fall in line and play a round robin...That makes alot more sense...Hell, why dont we just schedule Linfield for every game next year....Sure, we would be undefeated...But, we might as well change our name to Boise State....IMO, the NCAA needs to require a round robin format and create some rules that do not allow other conferences to play patsy schedules...I dont believe in beating up on little kids....Do U?
Unfortunately this will never happen because the NCAA loves to hype teams like Fla and Texas who played Troy, Charlston South., FIU, ULM (whoever the hell that is) UTEP, and UCF. They don't want their biggest stars to lose out of conference because it might take some of the hype and thus viewers away from the sport.

Do I agree with them, I dont know. I think people are going to watch Florida whether they are undefeated or not. But in the end, it doesn't matter. They will never change what they do because it works for them. Do I think we should do what they do? I dont know, I mean Fla has won two of the last four NC's so its obviously working. I just dont think I want to stoop to their level
I believe you are talking about The University of Lousiana-Monroe.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
echo31
Five Star Recruit

Post by echo31 »

The NCAA should just make a rule that says that wins against FCS schools don't count towards bowl eligibility. That would cut down on the scheduling of patsies a bit although SEC teams would still have their pick of teams from the Sun Belt and Conference USA to choose from.
ducksrock
Senior

Post by ducksrock »

echo31 wrote:The NCAA should just make a rule that says that wins against FCS schools don't count towards bowl eligibility. That would cut down on the scheduling of patsies a bit although SEC teams would still have their pick of teams from the Sun Belt and Conference USA to choose from.
Well, rule them out also....lol
Destroyer77
Five Star Recruit

Post by Destroyer77 »

ducksrock wrote:
Hoagduck wrote:FIVE extra losses spread across the conference. That seals it as to why the round robin is a bad idea.

So, it is ALL about wins and losses....and the publics perception? Whatever happened to INTEGRITY? Has this generation lost that concept?
If so, that is degrading to the entire sport of football.

The chances of the Ducks ever making it to a NC game are slim at best....And yet, we are willing to compromise our Integrity (strength of schedule) for a slim shot at playing in maybe ONE NC game? Is it worth the price? If so, maybe we all need to re-evaluate our priorities in life...

Integrity? Bwaahahahahaha