Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

new oregongridiron vids

Post by UOducksTK1 »

http://oregongridiron.com/program/nfl/nfl.html
2010 draft recap + 2010 pro day

http://oregongridiron.com/playerlife.html
2010 olympics

In case some of you haven't seen them yet.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
justducky0
Senior

Re: new oregongridiron vids

Post by justducky0 »

if anyone has ANY doubts about Nate Costa's knee strength look at the Olympic video and see the Tug-of-War competition.
Nate competes and puts immeasurable pressure on his knee. After seeing that I have no worries for the season. Nate Costa will be the starter.
MerDuck
Four Star Recruit

Post by MerDuck »

justducky0 wrote:if anyone has ANY doubts about Nate Costa's knee strength look at the Olympic video and see the Tug-of-War competition.
Nate competes and puts immeasurable pressure on his knee. After seeing that I have no worries for the season. Nate Costa will be the starter.
No one was worried about putting pressure on his knee, his knee problems have been with quick lateral movement and twisting (ala Dennis Dixon's Season ending injury...he was able to run and putt pressure on it, he just couldn't stop and turn quickly from side to side).......

I'm not saying he won't be our QB or that he shouldn't, just that putting pressure on his knee really shows us little....
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

My worry is when a dirty UW dlineman hits him low, not if he can lift weights or pull a rope.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

My worry is having James and Barner (and maybe Seastrunk will be ready to play early) that the coaches will be tempted to play 2 backs and triple option.

Unlike our regular option where the option is done at the mesh in the backfield. The triple option is done in the face of the defender who can lay a monster lick on the QB whether it is pitch or keep. I worry for either of our top 2 QBs running the triple option (they aren't exactly built like tanks) , and I think they should bring in Hawkins to run a Wild Duck package if they want to use that play more than occasionally.

Fly sweep yes, Dive plus Zone Read option yes, Triple option with Costhomas NO (at least not very often).
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

GrandpaDuck wrote:My worry is having James and Barner (and maybe Seastrunk will be ready to play early) that the coaches will be tempted to play 2 backs and triple option.

Unlike our regular option where the option is done at the mesh in the backfield. The triple option is done in the face of the defender who can lay a monster lick on the QB whether it is pitch or keep. I worry for either of our top 2 QBs running the triple option (they aren't exactly built like tanks) , and I think they should bring in Hawkins to run a Wild Duck package if they want to use that play more than occasionally.

Fly sweep yes, Dive plus Zone Read option yes, Triple option with Costhomas NO (at least not very often).
It's not in Kelly's nature to go to a triple option since that is a whole other offense and play package. Oregon doesn't have the backs and QBs to run a triple option so Kelly won't run it. Kelly knows what he has and what will likely work so he'll stick to the basic spread option runs and then the WR/Slot option runs.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

greenyellow wrote:
GrandpaDuck wrote:My worry is having James and Barner (and maybe Seastrunk will be ready to play early) that the coaches will be tempted to play 2 backs and triple option.

It's not in Kelly's nature to go to a triple option since that is a whole other offense and play package. Oregon doesn't have the backs and QBs to run a triple option so Kelly won't run it. Kelly knows what he has and what will likely work so he'll stick to the basic spread option runs and then the WR/Slot option runs.
I suspect you're right. Kelly ran several triple option plays at the end of last season, with great success against OS in particular, but he had Masoli who is built to take the punishment the triple option puts on a QB. I'll be holding my breath and closing my eyes if they use it with Costhomas.