paduck
One Star Recruit

Re: Dixon hurt

Post by paduck »

greenyellow wrote:
Brophdog88 wrote:
Biggus Duckus wrote:
paduck wrote:
Biggus Duckus wrote:BTW, Dixon absolutely sucked today. I'm starting to get the feeling that he's never going to be more than a serviceable backup like Clemens.
I think that assessment is a little hard on Dixon. He threw what, 6 passes? I'm a lifelong Steelers fan, and the coaches have put him in a tough position with 1st and 2nd down runs for a lot of 3rd and longs. They are calling plays so that he doesn't lose the game with turnovers. Aka a lot of quick passes and screens so he really doesn't have to sit in the pocket for a long time or make a ton of reads. I think if the Steelers had a decent o-line and Dixon was giving the freedom to go down the field more often he would be playing a lot better. He's no Roethlisberger but he hasn't had enough time to prove himself.
Even with the conservative playcalling he fumbled twice today, one which was a turnover. Not good considering how few plays he was in.
He got blindsided on the turnover fumble, thats on the O-Line, and Batch came in and first snap fumbled the snap, I'll allow blame on theat one for Dixon but their Offensive Line sucks, he has no time to throw
They were lucky to get the win in today. To win by only 8 even after the Titans turned it over IIRC 7 times, I think there are more problems than just the QB spot. The Steelers are blessed to have a great defense that will keep them in games until the offense gets moving again with Big Ben.
Bottom line is the Steelers don't trust their backups enough to do anything other than basically run, run, pass with a mixed in screen every now and again. Their O-line is not good, so to let the opposing team bring everyone up for the first 2 downs and then pin their ears back on third is a recipe for disaster. The defense is flat-out dominant if guys like Polamalu and Farrior can stay healthy. 2-2 without Roethlisberger was the goal, and they're already there. If they beat Tampa Bay and go 3-1 without him things are looking GOOD for when he comes back because they can go back to being a team that can air it out with anybody and THEN go to the ground game with Mendenhall, who I feel is going to be very good. What I'm trying to say is: to blame Dixon is a vast stretch.
gofightingducks
All Pac-12

Post by gofightingducks »

The O-line is terrible and the coaches are depending upon the defense to win games. They are not allowing the back-up QB's to do anything. Yeah the Steelers have won both games but the coaching is terrible. I don't think with that line things will be much better when Ben is back.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Anyone know the extent of his injury?

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Steeler's just announced Dixon tore the lateral (outside) meniscus cartilage in his left knee... Leftwich was just re-signed.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Mond ... ?GT1=39002

Is Joey an option?
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

gofightingducks
All Pac-12

Post by gofightingducks »

Dixon will be out 3 weeks, which means he won't play again this season since Ben will be back in 2. :(
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

woundedknees wrote:Steeler's just announced Dixon tore the lateral (outside) meniscus cartilage in his left knee... Leftwich was just re-signed.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Mond ... ?GT1=39002

Is Joey an option?
Really sucks for Dixon. Just when he gets a chance to play some serious minutes, he gets hurt.
JTinKC
Three Star Recruit

Post by JTinKC »

Bottom line is the Steelers don't trust their backups enough to do anything other than basically run, run, pass with a mixed in screen every now and again.

This is true. I kept thinking to myself how hard is it to defend when you know they are going to run on first and second down and forced to throw on third.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Looks as if Dixon's injury is more serious than previously thought. May miss the whole year now and go on injured reserve.

http://blog.oregonlive.com/nfl/2010/09/ ... ery_m.html