Oregon vs Washington State

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

cordy02c
Senior

Re: Oregon vs Washington State

Post by cordy02c »

well after that I hope Ernie is gone I mean we couldn't possibly play any worse then we did. I was hoping we would at least be competitive but I guess that was too much to ask.
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

Kent must really work the religion and graduation rate card with these recruits, because anyone in their right minds recognizes that he cannot coach. I'm still waiting to have a big man develop and consistently play well under Ernie.
roth
One Star Recruit

Post by roth »

I'm hoping he gets fired, I'm sorry but he had four returning starters last year and managed a bubble team. This year he gets an espnu 100 player and another 4* in humphrey and does NOTHING. And honestly I feel bad for the players. Usually a coach has a rotation that he uses. A lot of successful teams have this. Maybe its because one young player would be on one night and off the next but Kent never got his team into a rhythem and thats HUGE with a young team. Humphrey would get 8 minutes one game and 21 the next. Its time for ernie to go
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Please EK, if you love UO as much as we do walk away! Youve done more for UO bball than anyone but it's time for someone better to take us to that next level. Maybe MB can get you a job as recruiting coordinator for the football team and play to your strenth. ;)
ducksin2010
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducksin2010 »

The season is finally over!!! This is good news to me.

On the EK being fired for Few, this is what i have to say: Few has done great things with gonzaga, but he hasn't gotten them to the elite 8. He inherited a team that had already been to an Elite 8 and what did Ernie inherit? 1939 we won a national championship and that is it. We were not a power house, we are not a power house, and we should not expect to be a power house. I know it is tough for us oregon fans to understand that we can't always be the best team, but as FANS we need to lay off EK and see how this team pans out. We don't become a great team just because we get a different coach. There is a chance that we actually step back and become a team that goes to the dance 1 out of every 20 years!!! We've been spoiled and this it is ridiculous for us to think that we can just oust a coach because we had a bad year. Let's all just calm down and move on to baseball :D .
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

ducksin2010 wrote:The season is finally over!!! This is good news to me.

On the EK being fired for Few, this is what i have to say: Few has done great things with gonzaga, but he hasn't gotten them to the elite 8. He inherited a team that had already been to an Elite 8 and what did Ernie inherit? 1939 we won a national championship and that is it. We were not a power house, we are not a power house, and we should not expect to be a power house. I know it is tough for us oregon fans to understand that we can't always be the best team, but as FANS we need to lay off EK and see how this team pans out. We don't become a great team just because we get a different coach. There is a chance that we actually step back and become a team that goes to the dance 1 out of every 20 years!!! We've been spoiled and this it is ridiculous for us to think that we can just oust a coach because we had a bad year. Let's all just calm down and move on to baseball :D .

I disagree completely. For every good year Kent has had, he has had 4 poor ones. The elite 8's are nice, but Kents teams have underachieved more than they have had success. And why should we accept mediocrity? Nobody is saying we should be elite and that Kent hasn't helped the program. What was the excuse last season with the so called "great class" with Leunen, Hairston, Taylor, etc? It's not just about wins and losses either. It's about players and teams getting better and making adjustments. Kent is a poor coach regardless of the record. Just because he is better than what we have had in the past, by no means does it mean we cannot do better.
roth
One Star Recruit

Post by roth »

I completely agree with duckgrad99. A perfect example was tonight. Baynes was LIGHTING up the ducks on the inside yet they doubled down TWICE in the first half. I mean its one thing to make adjustments at halftime but a halfway decent coach would think to himself, "hmm Baynes has 12 points halfway through the first half we need to stop this." Instead Ernie let everything play out. The Ducks just need a fresh start and clean slate. This was obvious when they cut it to 12 after going on a 7-0 run which included 2 steals on consecutive plays but it seemed they lacked the confidence or momentum to keep it up. I think WHOEVER the coach is should go with the Texas A+M method of scheduling next year. Schedule a bunch of average to below average BCS teams next year (seton hall, providence, St. Johns, Colorado, Iowa State, N.C State,) and just LOAD up on those teams. Sure it won't give the Ducks a great SOS but it WILL give the ducks win. I mean A+M is going to go to the tourny this year with a VERY subpar SOS. Why not try something like that? Even if we don't get to the tourny it will put us on the bubble and give us a better shot in Dunnigan and Crittle's junior year.
echo31
Five Star Recruit

Post by echo31 »

droop10 wrote:This was the worst possible matchup in the tourney for them. Just the complete contrasting styles of play.
That's a two-way street. The contrasting styles didn't seem to hurt WSU.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

That game was rediculous. After a game like that, if you aren't convinced that EK is a terrible coach & needs to be fired then you never will be. It was almost funny seeing Kent get out coached for 50th time this season. Wazzu has about a fourth of the talent that we have & they DOMINATED us. Can you imagine of Tony Bennet had our players?

And please, lay off Porter. He's the only guy doing anything & giving it his all. Who do you think calls for "dribble around & chuck up a 3 at the end of the shot clock"?! Not TP, he's just doing what he's told to do. Without him we lose this game by 60. If he had a coach who actually knew what he was doing he would be a tremdous threat & a top scorer.
ducksin2010
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducksin2010 »

Does every one really think it is coaching and not execution by the players? Think about it, in the past we have been able to run an offense. We didn't just dribble around and jack up 3's. Maybe we have plays called and the players don't execute.
briarduck
Senior

Post by briarduck »

I thought Porter did a great job and I agree I don't know why he gets dumped on! He's also the only one who can consistently get a shot off and that's just sad but is that EK or execution?

I agree that the players just don't seem to run the offense, and have no clue how to make their own shots and is that EKs fault? We should be running the offense through guys like Williams, Wilson and Dunigan, guys that can create their own shots and help our shooters get open looks...

The whole game was just awful but I will say WASU played some great defense and made us look bad!

We are a young team and it showed all year!

GO DUCKS!!
GO DUCKS!! WTD!
briarduck
Senior

Post by briarduck »

duckgrad99 wrote:
ducksin2010 wrote:The season is finally over!!! This is good news to me.

I disagree completely. For every good year Kent has had, he has had 4 poor ones. The elite 8's are nice, but Kents teams have underachieved more than they have had success. And why should we accept mediocrity? Nobody is saying we should be elite and that Kent hasn't helped the program. What was the excuse last season with the so called "great class" with Leunen, Hairston, Taylor, etc? It's not just about wins and losses either. It's about players and teams getting better and making adjustments. Kent is a poor coach regardless of the record. Just because he is better than what we have had in the past, by no means does it mean we cannot do better.
Well said 99!

We have to build on our success, not rest on our lourals (sp?)! We have underachieved and I think we should be able to compete every night/year why should we accept less?
GO DUCKS!! WTD!
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

I think Porter gets dumped on because he is a one dimensional player. He shoots a bunch of threes and that's it. He doesn't play defense, turns the ball over too much, gets rejected when he tries to take the ball to the basket, averages like 1.5 assists per game, etc. Since he is such a streak shooter, I actually think he might be better coming off of the bench.
Elduderino
Senior

Post by Elduderino »

Players not executing is a part of it sure; but who ultimately is responsible for a team that has had all year long to learn how to execute?

It blows my mind that people try and defend this still. I understand the nostalgia of retaining EK, and to a point I understand the apathy towards how good the program should be (although our rodent friends to the north disagree with not being able to become a basketball power), but to retain EK would be nothing short of settling on mediocrity.
AKA: CAgrown
duckfan96
Senior

Post by duckfan96 »

I find it hard to believe that Porter does not get more assists. As easy as he gets to the basket at times. Is that EK's fault? Or is it Porters fault for just chuckin up shot after shot. I guess EK could pull him from the game. Has EK done a bad job this year ...oh yea. He flops around lineups so much there can never be any fluidity. Has EK led the UO basketball team to places it had never reached before(other than the stone ages) ...YUP. I think EK should be replaced on the fact that he just seems out of touch with it. No emotion. Not because of his record or what all the fans are saying....cause if we all remember MB would be toast by now if UO listened to alot of people. They wanted MB canned years ago. :roll: