Offseason Discussion/League Improvements

You can talk about all sim related stuff here.

Moderators: UOducksTK1, Zyme, lukeyrid13, Oregon Ownage

Cellar-door
Senior
GM: Charlotte Hornets

Re: Offseason Discussion/League Improvements

Post by Cellar-door »

lukeyrid13 wrote:So we currently have the rule that we can't trade picks more than 4 years out and that supposedly covers pick swaps as well.

Is there any chance that might be altered? I know a team like the Magic shouldn't trade a pick that far out, but a pick swap 5-6 years down the line would be useful to have as an additional asset. We see that all the time now in the modern NBA with: Harden, Jrue Holliday, Paul George etc.
In the real NBA you can't trade your pick 2 years in a row though.

I'd be fine extending the timeline if we bring in the Stepien rule....can't have no pick 2 years in a row in the future.
Hornets GM
Craig
Senior
GM: Phoenix Suns GM

Post by Craig »

lukeyrid13 wrote:So we currently have the rule that we can't trade picks more than 4 years out and that supposedly covers pick swaps as well.

Is there any chance that might be altered? I know a team like the Magic shouldn't trade a pick that far out, but a pick swap 5-6 years down the line would be useful to have as an additional asset. We see that all the time now in the modern NBA with: Harden, Jrue Holliday, Paul George etc.
Wasnt this just voted on and not adopted?
SUNS GM
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

My post was from July….2021
Craig
Senior

Post by Craig »

Omg lol i assumed it was recent since cellar quoted it
SUNS GM
Cellar-door
Senior
GM: Charlotte Hornets

Post by Cellar-door »

Craig wrote:Omg lol i assumed it was recent since cellar quoted it
lol I missed it too, I just saw a new post and thought they both were new
Hornets GM
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

Right lol

I was confused too cause I had no recollection of writing that. And then finally saw the year lol
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Topic: Rating inflation

I feel like ratings haven't been too inflated up until maybe the last 5+ seasons or so. Drafts are a lot better and overall we have more stars, and the amount of depth in the league is very deep. There are players in FA right now that would have been starters a decade ago.

Personally, as ratings get inflated, my interest in any league generally dwindles. Naturally, sim leagues restart when rating inflation is so high (some people blame running out of draft names the reason for most league restarts, but my personal opinion is 80% of 'GMs losing of interest'/'league restarting' is due to inflation, not the names associated to players).

So I was curious, are there things we can do to help curb the problem? I had a random idea today of taking the current players in FA, and significantly dropping their ratings. That way, it doesn't hurt draft pick values. It might effect FA slightly, but there's still plenty of talent on rosters right now.

Personally it bothers me when guys like Bo Outlaw get MLE. And too much talent is available in leftover FA. Thoughts?

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
pistolpetejr
Senior
GM: Los Angeles Clippers

Post by pistolpetejr »

UOducksTK1 wrote:Topic: Rating inflation

I feel like ratings haven't been too inflated up until maybe the last 5+ seasons or so. Drafts are a lot better and overall we have more stars, and the amount of depth in the league is very deep. There are players in FA right now that would have been starters a decade ago.

Personally, as ratings get inflated, my interest in any league generally dwindles. Naturally, sim leagues restart when rating inflation is so high (some people blame running out of draft names the reason for most league restarts, but my personal opinion is 80% of 'GMs losing of interest'/'league restarting' is due to inflation, not the names associated to players).

So I was curious, are there things we can do to help curb the problem? I had a random idea today of taking the current players in FA, and significantly dropping their ratings. That way, it doesn't hurt draft pick values. It might effect FA slightly, but there's still plenty of talent on rosters right now.

Personally it bothers me when guys like Bo Outlaw get MLE. And too much talent is available in leftover FA. Thoughts?
Yeah I'm not gonna lie, the Bo Outlaw thing really surprised me. LaPhonso Ellis too. Both really hit it off this past TC.
---

PistolPeteJR
Craig
Senior

Post by Craig »

I'm not sure what there is to be done once it starts. Ideally it is managed from initial file creation through continuous draft generation, but once it's a thing, anything you do to course correct without "re-setting" is going to have quite variable impact on each team, which many will undoubtedly call "unfair."

I agree with the sentiment that inflation sucks, especially when it gets to a certain point, I just don't know what the answer is when it's reactive as opposed to proactive (and the proactive methods, while easier to identify, are so damn difficult to execute).

I'm not sure what dropping the ratings of the league's current scrubs really does, unless I'm missing something?

Separately, I think you can better solve the leftover FA thing if Day 5 isn't a combined sim with Day 4, whether that's combining Day 1/2 to keep it at 3 sims or just adding an extra FA sim or two. But if Day 5 is by itself, less guys fall through the cracks since people are able to focus their bids on that specific pool.
SUNS GM
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Craig wrote:I'm not sure what there is to be done once it starts. Ideally it is managed from initial file creation through continuous draft generation, but once it's a thing, anything you do to course correct without "re-setting" is going to have quite variable impact on each team, which many will undoubtedly call "unfair."

I agree with the sentiment that inflation sucks, especially when it gets to a certain point, I just don't know what the answer is when it's reactive as opposed to proactive (and the proactive methods, while easier to identify, are so damn difficult to execute).

I'm not sure what dropping the ratings of the league's current scrubs really does, unless I'm missing something?

Separately, I think you can better solve the leftover FA thing if Day 5 isn't a combined sim with Day 4, whether that's combining Day 1/2 to keep it at 3 sims or just adding an extra FA sim or two. But if Day 5 is by itself, less guys fall through the cracks since people are able to focus their bids on that specific pool.
Inflation is nearly inevitable and I actually think DASL is done well and prevents it longer than 99% of other leagues.

I think part of the issue with inflation is that the league has sooo many “good players” that even leftover FA market is full of solid role players and potentially starters. I think iteratively removing less talent from leftover pool, will help allocate the issue of the league getting too deep. It’s not fixing the problem necessarily but it’s stopping the bleeding.

pistolpetejr
Senior

Post by pistolpetejr »

I'm thinking out loud, but the NBA has diluted the talent pool via expansion... I'm not saying we should add more teams (don't even think you can in FBB), but the solution is basically to spread the talent pool more, perhaps?
---

PistolPeteJR
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

pistolpetejr wrote:I'm thinking out loud, but the NBA has diluted the talent pool via expansion... I'm not saying we should add more teams (don't even think you can in FBB), but the solution is basically to spread the talent pool more, perhaps?
Yeah and since we can't expand, we have to do the opposite. Maybe one team a year can volunteer for their team to all die in a plane wreck?

pistolpetejr
Senior

Post by pistolpetejr »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
pistolpetejr wrote:I'm thinking out loud, but the NBA has diluted the talent pool via expansion... I'm not saying we should add more teams (don't even think you can in FBB), but the solution is basically to spread the talent pool more, perhaps?
Yeah and since we can't expand, we have to do the opposite. Maybe one team a year can volunteer for their team to all die in a plane wreck?
Once every 3 years, you lose your 5th best player which factors in ability, potential and all
---

PistolPeteJR
dd10snoop28
Senior
GM: New Jersey Nets GM

Post by dd10snoop28 »

I mean, this might be too much work, but what if we dropped every players' rating in the league by 5 points and see what that does? By rating, I mean strength/inside/passing etc... things like that. Not the letter rating.

Potential issues:
1. any player already at the minimum rating will benefit since they can't be reduced. Solution: I think this is extremely rare
2. how much would 5 rating points change the inflation? I don't actually know, but the league ratings by 5% seems like it would help a lot

What other issues would there be ?? I can't think of any besides just the time that it would take to reduce every rating for every player by 5. thoughts?
Zyme
All Pac-12
GM: New York Knicks GM

Post by Zyme »

dd10snoop28 wrote:I mean, this might be too much work, but what if we dropped every players' rating in the league by 5 points and see what that does? By rating, I mean strength/inside/passing etc... things like that. Not the letter rating.

Potential issues:
1. any player already at the minimum rating will benefit since they can't be reduced. Solution: I think this is extremely rare
2. how much would 5 rating points change the inflation? I don't actually know, but the league ratings by 5% seems like it would help a lot

What other issues would there be ?? I can't think of any besides just the time that it would take to reduce every rating for every player by 5. thoughts?
That wouldn’t change the underlying issue, just make the players ratings grade drop. The existing current issue of a lot of B, B- to C+ players that can be starters or 6th men. The only long term solution i see is having weaker back end of draft classes to pull the ratings of the role players down or to cull the FA pool. Perhaps “retire” a number of older players at the end of seaons.
DASL1 Rings: '93, '94

K's HOF:
Mark "Wholly Mammoth" Eaton | Retired 2002, age 44: 24 min/8pts/8reb/1stl/2.5 blks/1 TO
Michael "Sweet Home" Ansley | Retired 2007, age 42: 33 min/16pts/8 reb/1.5stl/.5 blks/.5 TO Lifetime .550 shooting %
Gheorghe "Ghiţă (Ghitza, Little George)" Mureșan | Retired 2008, age 36: 35Min/16.2pt/12.2reb/2.1ast/1.6stl/2.9blk/1.3TO (.461/.715/.000)