Moderators: UOducksTK1, Zyme, lukeyrid13, Oregon Ownage

offtheheezy
Senior
GM: Vancouver Grizzlies

Re: Hardcap Penalties

Post by offtheheezy »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
offtheheezy wrote:
Craig wrote: Is there a way to get around bidding on guys you may not get though? Like if I'm $5mil under the hard cap and offer a $5mil contract to two different players cause i'm not sure I'll get either one - if it won't let you put in bids that add up over, doesn't that restriction come a bit too early in the process?
If you have bird rights on both of them then you wouldn't be allowed to submit two $5M bids if you're $5M under the hard cap.

If you're $5M under the soft cap, then you can put any number of $5M bids on anyone without bird rights, since one of them signing would eliminate the rest of your offers
Yes it would?
If you have bird rights on two players and submit $5M bids on both of them while being only $5M under the hard cap, there's a legitimate chance you go over the hard cap. These are the type of offers that were explicitly rejected from me by Ownage when I tried to put them in.

What will happen then if both sign? One just go back to the pool?
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

offtheheezy wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:
offtheheezy wrote:
Craig wrote: Is there a way to get around bidding on guys you may not get though? Like if I'm $5mil under the hard cap and offer a $5mil contract to two different players cause i'm not sure I'll get either one - if it won't let you put in bids that add up over, doesn't that restriction come a bit too early in the process?
If you have bird rights on both of them then you wouldn't be allowed to submit two $5M bids if you're $5M under the hard cap.

If you're $5M under the soft cap, then you can put any number of $5M bids on anyone without bird rights, since one of them signing would eliminate the rest of your offers
Yes it would?
If you have bird rights on two players and submit $5M bids on both of them while being only $5M under the hard cap, there's a legitimate chance you go over the hard cap. These are the type of offers that were explicitly rejected from me by Ownage when I tried to put them in.

OH sorry, yes. I read salary cap the first time. :roll:

No you are correct. So in your case, we would consider that 10 mil of bids, which would invalidate the bids because it would send you over. So the website would not allow you to submit those bids.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
The Bean Regime
Senior
GM: Minnesota Timberwolves GM

Post by The Bean Regime »

offtheheezy wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:
offtheheezy wrote:

Yes it would?

Well if Ownage already declined them then there's no harm in the page doing the same.
offtheheezy
Senior

Post by offtheheezy »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
offtheheezy wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:
offtheheezy wrote:

Yes it would?

OH sorry, yes. I read salary cap the first time. :roll:

No you are correct. So in your case, we would consider that 10 mil of bids, which would invalidate the bids because it would send you over. So the website would not allow you to submit those bids.
:lol: yeah, for salary cap I think you can put up to like 15 total offers for the same cap space as long as none of them use bird rights.

Also the one situation where you could submit $5M bids on two bird rights guys while only $5M under the hard cap would be if you have 14 players on the roster, since then you're guaranteed only one of them can sign. So roster space would also have to be stored
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Honestly this would eliminate all FA hard cap issues.

Then for the rest of the regular season, if a transactions causes you to go over (reg season fa signing or trade), we would just cancel the transactions.

So technically, never have to give out a penalty ever again!

offtheheezy
Senior

Post by offtheheezy »

UOducksTK1 wrote:Honestly this would eliminate all FA hard cap issues.

Then for the rest of the regular season, if a transactions causes you to go over (reg season fa signing or trade), we would just cancel the transactions.

+1, best solution is always prevention over punishment :lol:
The Bean Regime
Senior
GM: Minnesota Timberwolves GM

Post by The Bean Regime »

ALMOST.

if someone signs enough big deals on resignings that they're at like <12 players and cannot sign enough mins to reach 12, then one could still go over.

Maybe at that point going over the HC should get a reward. Free +2 to a stat! :lol:
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

offtheheezy wrote: :lol: yeah, for salary cap I think you can put up to like 15 total offers for the same cap space as long as none of them use bird rights.

Also the one situation where you could submit $5M bids on two bird rights guys while only $5M under the hard cap would be if you have 14 players on the roster, since then you're guaranteed only one of them can sign. So roster space would also have to be stored
Along that same thought...

I was also thinking if a team is 5 mil from the hard cap and offers a guy with bird 5 mil (But only has 6 guys on roster). The game should also not allow such a bid.

So for each roster spot you dont have, we should subtract the min (330k) from your available bid space). SO in that case. 5 guys * 330 = ~2mil.

So he could only offer a guy up to 3mil, since he'd need at least 2 mil to sign minimum FAs after offseason FA.

UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

The Bean Regime wrote:

ALMOST.

if someone signs enough big deals on resignings that they're at like <12 players and cannot sign enough mins to reach 12, then one could still go over.

Maybe at that point going over the HC should get a reward. Free +2 to a stat! :lol:
Ha! Literally just posted the same scenario.

offtheheezy
Senior

Post by offtheheezy »

The Bean Regime wrote:

ALMOST.

Not if the validator takes into account roster space and always allocates (12-N)*322817 under the hard cap additionally. But this one would be in question since technically you can have the person make trades after FA to get around it prior to the start of the season
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Gosh we all said the same thing at once, this is getting gross. Delete the thread ownage..

offtheheezy
Senior

Post by offtheheezy »

UOducksTK1 wrote:Gosh we all said the same thing at once, this is getting gross. Delete the thread ownage..
:lol:
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

lukeyrid13 wrote:This conversation is far too nerdy for me
I thought you were overreacting at first, but nope. :lol:

offtheheezy
Senior

Post by offtheheezy »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
lukeyrid13 wrote:This conversation is far too nerdy for me
I thought you were overreacting at first, but nope. :lol:
If you want to make it nerdier, you'd have to also make sure there's enough rookies left in FA for everyone to get to 12 if you had like half the league doing this half rookie roster things :P. Shouldn't be a problem though, but the nerdiness would never end :lol:
dd10snoop28
Senior
GM: New Jersey Nets GM

Post by dd10snoop28 »

We don't have any bad actors in this league so any additional penalties are dumb. Penalties/laws are made for the bad actors; not for GM's who are doing things out of good intent (I have seen no evidence of purposeful ill intent).

Additionally, this isn't a pervasive issue in the least. Have I been the only person to go over hardcap recently? the other cases were so minimal I don't even remember off the top of my head.

Either way: the proposed solution above would solve accidental mistakes made by gm's.