Jamil Wilson to OREGON

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

woundedknees
All-American

Re: Jamil Wilson to OREGON

Post by woundedknees »

He mentions the Scales family in the news conference, as well as bonding with one of the Oregon coaches who had recently lost a family member being a factor.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

OregonMAX
Three Star Recruit

Post by OregonMAX »

If John Wall really wanted to come here, would it still be possible to open up a spot for him?
Also, how does Ben Voogd leaving affect the amount of scholarships we have?
"Huard's gonna go back to throw the ball. Sets up, looks, throws towards the corner of the endzone. It is... INTERCEPTED! INTERCEPTED! THE DUCKS HAVE THE BALL! Down to the 35! The 40! KENNY WHEATON'S GONNA SCORE!!! KENNY WHEATON'S GONNA SCORE!!! 20! THE 10! TOUCHDOWN!!! KENNY WHEATON, AN INTERCEPTION!!! THE MOST IMPROBABLE FINISH TO A FOOTBALL GAME!!!"
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

OregonMAX wrote:If John Wall really wanted to come here, would it still be possible to open up a spot for him?
Also, how does Ben Voogd leaving affect the amount of scholarships we have?
I think that Oregon is done with recruiting since Wall has dropped Oregon from consideration and all 13 scholarships are now filled, unless someone transfers. Singler and Jacobs filled the ones occupied by Odia and Dorsainvil. Wilson is now filling the one left by Voogd. The only way I could see a scholarship opening up would be to have Wiley drop his since he's an in-state kid and his family could possibly afford the tuition if he wasn't on scholarship. I consider this highly unlikely though since having more players would cause some PT issues that Kent probably doesn't want to have to deal with and Kent seems to like the group he'll have next year.
dd10snoop28
Senior
GM: New Jersey Nets GM

Post by dd10snoop28 »

If I were coach the the lineup would be like this:

PG:Sim
SG:Humphrey
SF:Wilson
PF:Crittle
C:Dunigan

2nd unit of:
Porter
Longmire
Wiley
Teondre
Catron

That's pretty sick. Good mix of shooting/inside presence in Starting lineup and a more of fast-pace with 2nd unit.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

dd10snoop28 wrote:If I were coach the the lineup would be like this:

PG:Sim
SG:Humphrey
SF:Wilson
PF:Crittle
C:Dunigan

2nd unit of:
Porter
Longmire
Wiley
Teondre
Catron

That's pretty sick. Good mix of shooting/inside presence in Starting lineup and a more of fast-pace with 2nd unit.
You really want our two best players on the bench (LL and TP)?
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

I think we see something more like this:

1st Unit

PG: Porter
SG: Humphrey
SF: Longmire
PF: Catron
C : Dunigan

2nd Unit

PG: Sim/Brown
SG: Williams
SF: Wiley
PF: Wilson/Jacob
C : Crittle

I think that's how the season will start. Porter & Catron being the two Seniors will be given the initial starting jobs. Porter won't have to be "the man" & his game will improve a whole lot. I think Catron will start also because we will need a post presence coming off the bench. If you start both MD & JC, you have no low post presence coming in with the second unit. I also don't see Wilson beating out Longmire, initially. I think that will change as the season goes on but I bet Wilson takes the place of Catron, not Longmire. We also have WAY too many Wing players. Someone out of Wiley, Williams, Wilson, Longmire, & Humphrey will be riding the bench a ton.
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:I think we see something more like this:

1st Unit

2nd Unit

I think that's how the season will start. Porter & Catron being the two Seniors will be given the initial starting jobs. Porter won't have to be "the man" & his game will improve a whole lot. I think Catron will start also because we will need a post presence coming off the bench. If you start both MD & JC, you have no low post presence coming in with the second unit. I also don't see Wilson beating out Longmire, initially. I think that will change as the season goes on but I bet Wilson takes the place of Catron, not Longmire. We also have WAY too many Wing players. Someone out of Wiley, Williams, Wilson, Longmire, & Humphrey will be riding the bench a ton.

The problem with that though is that no true point guard is starting. Porter isn't the greatest ball handler. I also don't think Humphrey is ready to start yet. I would probably go with a starting lineup of:

Sim
Porter
Dunigan
Crittle
Wilson

Longmire is good, and I think would make a good 6th man. Catron doesn't deserve to start after this season.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:I think we see something more like this:

1st Unit

2nd Unit

Yikes, I sure hope Wilson plays over Catron. Catron has been the ultimate disappointment this season.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
roth
One Star Recruit

Post by roth »

I think we see something more like this:

1st Unit

2nd Unit

Look while I think Porter is a good player what EK and a lot of fans need to realize is offense is NOT everything. If it was then the Providence Friars would be a top 25 team and not on the bubble. And Porter is unable to gaurd taller gaurds. Today I was watching the Oakland- North Dakota State game and it came to my attention that Jermaine Jones who TORCHED porter and the ducks for 30 points only averages 9 per game. Not to meniton: Darren Collison going for above 50% shooting in every game against TP and the ducks. Hackett torching TP as well, Nic Wise (etc you all get it) TP should come off the bench and give the ducks lighting off the bench. He'd be a great 6th man and our 2nd unit would be about a little more offense then defense. I think it should look like this

5- Dunnigan
4- Crittle
3- Wilson
2- Longmire or Humphrey depending on how much he improves
1- Sim

2nd unit

5- Catron or Jacob (do remember he is crittle's height)
4- The other one so Jacob or Catron
3- Theondre or Wiley
2- whoever losses the Humphrey vs Longmire battle
1- TP

I know EK will start catron and TP but i think skill is more important then seniority
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

Assuming EK is still here, I think Porter starts. He loves Porter. I would be shocked if he isn't a starter in his senior season. I also doubt Humphrey starts over Sim or Longmire at the other guard position. I bet Ernie goes with this starting lineup, even though I don't agree with it:

Porter
Longmire
Dunigan
Catron
Wilson
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

If Jacob is as good as he was billed coming out of HS (4* LA. State POY) the hunch is at some point next year he takes over the starting spot from Catron. Put Wilson at the 3 and that makes us allot taller and more athletic up front, with Wilson 6'7 Jacob 6'8 and Dunnigan 6'10ish. Though with the way Wilson is said to handle the ball he may even be able to play 2 then outside of Porter we could go big with Longmire in the game, or at times go with Sim, Wilson, Jacob, Crittle and Dunnigan and hopefully that helps fix UO deficiency on D.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

Remember guy, those units aren't what I think the best lineup would be, it's what I think Kent puts out there. Believe me, those 2 units are FAR different from what I would like to see. Those are just what I think Kent goes with to start the season.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

buckmarkduck wrote:If Jacob is as good as he was billed coming out of HS (4* LA. State POY) the hunch is at some point next year he takes over the starting spot from Catron. Put Wilson at the 3 and that makes us allot taller and more athletic up front, with Wilson 6'7 Jacob 6'8 and Dunnigan 6'10ish. Though with the way Wilson is said to handle the ball he may even be able to play 2 then outside of Porter we could go big with Longmire in the game, or at times go with Sim, Wilson, Jacob, Crittle and Dunnigan and hopefully that helps fix UO deficiency on D.
It's hard to get excited about big men JCs lately after seeing how Franz, Ivan, and others have turned out recently.

But then again, he could be the next Robert Johnson.

buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Last i checked none of those flops were state players of the year. They were what they were, tall guys who we hopped would develop a game, with the exception of Ivan who could have been very good if not for his head problems. Also another positive is that Jacob will only be a SO in class not a JR. He got a medical RS for his 1 year at Georgia due to injuries early in the season.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

buckmarkduck wrote:Last i checked none of those flops were state players of the year. They were what they were, tall guys who we hopped would develop a game, with the exception of Ivan who could have been very good if not for his head problems. Also another positive is that Jacob will only be a SO in class not a JR. He got a medical RS for his 1 year at Georgia due to injuries early in the season.
True, but both Ivan and Franz came in pretty hyped up... All I'm saying is I won't buy into the hype of a big man ever again as long as we have Kent (especially JCs!). He doesn't know how to use them, it's as simple as that.

I do like what Jacob brings, and he could be big for us.