Timbers first MLS home game

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Anyone go? It was really fun.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
goducks
Freshman

Re: Timbers first MLS home game

Post by goducks »

A little far for me! ; ) But, I read about it, great to get a victory in their first home game! We are going to watch OL (Olympique Lyonnais) take on OM (Olympique de Marseille) in May at Stade Gerland in Lyon! ; ) Now that should be a great match!!

Notice the plane that we flew on?
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

I watched it from the comfort of my couch with a dog on each side of me. Wish the weather was nicer because there seemed to be quite a few empty seats. Still looked like an awesome atmosphere though. Thought the crowd singing the national anthem was pretty cool. Hilarious that one of the execs got tossed out too. Question becomes, will it continue to be like that? I will definitely be attending a few of the games though.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Well, at least Portland and Seattle have a rivalry again (sorry hockey fans) and I think at least as long as Portland remains competitive this year, they should continue to have good crowds because the pnw does seem to have a fair amount of people who have played and follow soccer. Sounds like Timber Joey is a little weak though, so how about they upgrade from a stock saw to David Moses from the Tulalip Reservation and his hot saw - it will sure put out a lot of noise!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDwyOj6ICq4&NR=1
desertfan
Three Star Recruit

Post by desertfan »

The atmosphere looked incredible on TV, (that national anthem/tifo WOW :o ) I can only imagine what it was like in person. As a casual soccer fan its pretty sweet to see crowds like that for matches in the US. The first Seattle/Portland match should be pretty intense, seems like a pretty awesome rivalry. Between the Blazers, Ducks and now the Timbers, sports fans in the state of Oregon really know how to support their teams.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

desertfan wrote:The atmosphere looked incredible on TV, (that national anthem/tifo WOW :o ) I can only imagine what it was like in person. As a casual soccer fan its pretty sweet to see crowds like that for matches in the US. The first Seattle/Portland match should be pretty intense, seems like a pretty awesome rivalry. Between the Blazers, Ducks and now the Timbers, sports fans in the state of Oregon really know how to support their teams.
Oh it was wild. Best soccer game I've ever been to in my life. I was in the Timber's army too, the first row so I can a lot of ESPN 2 exposure :).

Honestly though, it's not even close to the atmosphere in Autzen. Insanely fun and loud, but Autzen is on its own pedestal.

TheMaehlMan
Junior

Post by TheMaehlMan »

Not a soccer fan, but thought that the Timbers Army was pretty sick! Kornheiser and Wilbon talked about it on PTI, and Wilbon alluded to how awesome Northwest fans are in general.

Going to miss the Maehl Man
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

TheMaehlMan wrote:Not a soccer fan, but thought that the Timbers Army was pretty sick! Kornheiser and Wilbon talked about it on PTI, and Wilbon alluded to how awesome Northwest fans are in general.
I've heard and read a lot about how impressive Portland's fan support. One site named "Timber Joey" as their favorite mascot ever. That's high praise for an expansion team.
Elduderino
Senior

Post by Elduderino »

"Timber Joey" is an awful mascot name. I'm sorry, hate to be negative, but what? "Timber Jim" and "Lumber Jack" weren't available?

I guess they get points for simplicity? Otherwise I thought the Timbers Army was super cool, especially the National Anthem. Looked like a good time.
AKA: CAgrown
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Elduderino wrote:"Timber Joey" is an awful mascot name. I'm sorry, hate to be negative, but what? "Timber Jim" and "Lumber Jack" weren't available?

I guess they get points for simplicity? Otherwise I thought the Timbers Army was super cool, especially the National Anthem. Looked like a good time.
I think they name the mascot after the actual name of the person playing him. The previous guy was named "Timber Jim" since his real name was Jim Serrill. The part that people liked about Portland's mascot is the cutting of the log after every goal by the Timbers with a chainsaw.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

greenyellow wrote:
Elduderino wrote:"Timber Joey" is an awful mascot name. I'm sorry, hate to be negative, but what? "Timber Jim" and "Lumber Jack" weren't available?

I think they name the mascot after the actual name of the person playing him. The previous guy was named "Timber Jim" since his real name was Jim Serrill. The part that people liked about Portland's mascot is the cutting of the log after every goal by the Timbers with a chainsaw.
It indeed is, our mascot is actually a real person. Jim was there though tonight, him and Joey were splitting that log!

Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

yea, but why use a wimpy stock saw? haha
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Duck07 wrote:yea, but why use a wimpy stock saw? haha
I'm surprised they're still able to use a gas-powered saw in Portland. By now, I would have thought the environmentalists would make him use one powered by biofuel or revert to a hand saw. :lol:
duck55
Senior

Post by duck55 »

greenyellow wrote:
Duck07 wrote:yea, but why use a wimpy stock saw? haha
I'm surprised they're still able to use a gas-powered saw in Portland. By now, I would have thought the environmentalists would make him use one powered by biofuel or revert to a hand saw. :lol:
Or a Beaver with sharp teeth ;)
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Timbers kinda sucking it up, but that game against Galaxy was magical.