Major/Minor League Ducks

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

oregontrack
All Pac-12

Re: Major/Minor League Ducks

Post by oregontrack »

Even though I don't think Pulfer is entirely a lost cause, right now we do have to take him at his word; as such, I'd say Anderson, Boer, McGough, and Pulfer are gonzo.

I thought Kuedell might get picked by now. At least Serna and Marder should be back.
ImageImageImageImageImage
BillM
Two Star Recruit

Post by BillM »

Pulfer will be interesting. I know he said he's already leaving, but the 19th round isn't exactly a slam-dunk. I think he may have heard he'd be going higher. If I were Horton, I'd get into his ear and preach the benefits of a college degree and a run at Omaha...
Amen to this . . . He could be the team leader too. Last time I heard him on an interview, he did reiterate that his plan was to go, but he also said that if he were to return, he'd love to lead the team. Either way, good luck to Danny!
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Nice to see he basically got drafted by his hometown team. I think we lose just about everyone drafted, besides maybe Marder.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

Kuedell goes in the 38th round, #1168 to Minnesota.
cordy02c
Senior

Post by cordy02c »

serna goes in 42nd round to cleveland
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

cordy02c wrote:serna goes in 42nd round to cleveland
I sort of wonder now if that makes Serna return since going in the 42nd round doesn't exactly get him the biggest payday. I think he could earn a lot more if he comes back for another season.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

Agreed.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

Apparently I looked over this quote after the Civil War:
"I feel like I've had enough learning under George (Horton) and I feel like I'm ready," Serna said after the Ducks' regular-season finale against Oregon State. "Certainly, a lot is going to be missed here, but at the same time, I can't wait to move on to the next chapter of my life."
http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.s ... ht_uo.html
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

With what seems like all the JRs being drafted, there aren't going to be many SRs left on this team, especially ones that I think can really replace those that are leaving.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

The thing about that is, though, is that every team in the Pac-10 is going through similar upheaval. We stress over our line-up, but so is everyone else, we just don't see them do it. Oregon State, for instance, loses just about everyone from their team. Their #1 starter is going to be a freshman (sophomore-to-be) that got shelled quite a bit this year. At least we've got Jones and (hopefully/I assume) Kuedell back starting, and we started five freshmen every single game down the stretch + Altobelli + I would assume Marder + guys like Kuresa and Hoffman, who should take a big leaps as sophomores.

And a pretty good crop of incoming freshmen. The MLB Draft is BRUTAL on teams all across the country, the best programs nationally are the ones who never take off a recruiting cycle. Have to constantly reload in this sport...
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

oregontrack wrote:The thing about that is, though, is that every team in the Pac-10 is going through similar upheaval. We stress over our line-up, but so is everyone else, we just don't see them do it. Oregon State, for instance, loses just about everyone from their team. Their #1 starter is going to be a freshman (sophomore-to-be) that got shelled quite a bit this year. At least we've got Jones and (hopefully/I assume) Kuedell back starting, and we started five freshmen every single game down the stretch + Altobelli + I would assume Marder + guys like Kuresa and Hoffman, who should take a big leaps as sophomores.

And a pretty good crop of incoming freshmen. The MLB Draft is BRUTAL on teams all across the country, the best programs nationally are the ones who never take off a recruiting cycle. Have to constantly reload in this sport...
If Keudell does come back, then I think the pitching will be fine, but I'm not confident that he will.
cordy02c
Senior

Post by cordy02c »

he kept his word pulfer signed with d-backs today
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

greenyellow wrote:
oregontrack wrote:The thing about that is, though, is that every team in the Pac-10 is going through similar upheaval. We stress over our line-up, but so is everyone else, we just don't see them do it. Oregon State, for instance, loses just about everyone from their team. Their #1 starter is going to be a freshman (sophomore-to-be) that got shelled quite a bit this year. At least we've got Jones and (hopefully/I assume) Kuedell back starting, and we started five freshmen every single game down the stretch + Altobelli + I would assume Marder + guys like Kuresa and Hoffman, who should take a big leaps as sophomores.

If Keudell does come back, then I think the pitching will be fine, but I'm not confident that he will.
Have you seen something to suggest he'll sign? Serious inquiry; I don't always get around to checking the Register-Guard online, so I'm often late to the party. I didn't see Pulfer or Serna say they'll go pro until days after they were quoted in the RG/Oregonian, respectively.

Kuedell was picked so late I would think that an entire year of starting Fridays or Saturday and proving he could be a top-flight college starter would really boost his stock. A guy like Pulfer won't likely improve his draft position by coming back, so it makes sense that he'd take the money and start his pro career; I think Kuedell could really jump up with a solid season. 38th round draft picks don't often make a lot of money playing short season rookie ball, so coming back for his degree would also, one would think, play a role.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

Kudos, by the way, to Pulfer for signing. He wasn't the first Horton recruit, but he did commit early and was (IMO) the face of Oregon baseball alongside Tyler Anderson for 3 years.
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

Boer signed with the Twins.