Dwayne Polee to transfer...

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

woundedknees
All-American

Dwayne Polee to transfer...

Post by woundedknees »

IIRC, since the listed reason is a family health issue, the NCAA could grant a waiver for Polee to play immediately... This leaves St. Johns with 1 returning scholarship player.

http://www.redstormsports.com/sports/m- ... 11aab.html

"Red Storm head men's basketball coach Steve Lavin announced that rising sophomore forward Dwayne Polee II (Los Angeles, Calif./Westchester) plans to transfer to another institution before St. John's summer classes begin."

"I really enjoyed my experience at St. John's and I'm going to miss the staff and New York. Right now I feel it is best to be close to my family and help us get through a health issue," said Polee II.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/colle ... ser_t.html

"The health issue appears to involve his mother although the severity is not known."
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

greenyellow

Re: Dwayne Polee to transfer...

Post by greenyellow »

Sucks that he has to transfer due to that since it sounds like he really liked it there. Oregon may be a possible destination, but I think he'll end up at a school in SoCal or the Bay Area.
uostudent
Senior

Post by uostudent »

I'm skeptical...

I think it has more to do with Lavin recruiting four 4 star small forwards in the 2011 class than the health of his mother...

Maurice Harkless will likely be St. John's starting SF. Amir Garrett has the ability to be an immediate contributor (assuming his doesn't go the pro baseball route).

Wouldn't be surprised if Polee ends up at San Diego St. Tremendous athlete, but has some work to do as a shooter.
“If everybody in this room just want to be real with themselves, this game could have went either way,” he said. “We turned the ball over a lot. We beat ourself. Just be real with yourself right now. We beat ourself.”
-Jameis Winston after Oregon's decisive 59-20 victory over Florida State in the Rose Bowl
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Considering Polee is from the LA area (Westchester HS), and his father is Director of Basketball Operations at USC, you are probably right.

Before switching to St. Johns, Polee was a verbal commit to the Trojans. IIRC a coaching change at USC was involved.

uostudent
Senior

Post by uostudent »

woundedknees wrote:Considering Polee is from the LA area (Westchester HS), and his father is Director of Basketball Operations at USC, you are probably right.

Before switching to St. Johns, Polee was a verbal commit to the Trojans. IIRC a coaching change at USC was involved.
One of my friends played HS basketball with Polee....he thought that Polee was going to go to Oregon (partly because Polee is big into a certain activity that is quite popular in Eugene :lol: ). Ultimately Polee chose St. John's because of the Big East coverage and Lavin's proven ability to send players to the league.

Tim Floyd hired Polee's dad as Director of Basketball Operations as a way to get Polee to commit. About a year ago, Polee's father resigned from his position at USC when it was clear that his son was not going to USC.

Cal is a possibility for Polee too. Mike Montgomery is a great coach, but arguably the worst recruiter in the conference. Cal should finish in the top 3-4 in the Pac 10 next season and Polee would have a chance to play immediately.
“If everybody in this room just want to be real with themselves, this game could have went either way,” he said. “We turned the ball over a lot. We beat ourself. Just be real with yourself right now. We beat ourself.”
-Jameis Winston after Oregon's decisive 59-20 victory over Florida State in the Rose Bowl
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Zagoria tweeted a suggestion that San Diego State may be the destination...

ducksvb6
Three Star Recruit

Post by ducksvb6 »

SDSU wouldn't be a surprise. Fisher's MO at SDSU has been recruiting transfers.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Honestly this could be a blessing in disguise for him in the end. I really doubt he'd play more next season with all those incoming freshmen.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

And Polee lands at San Diego State University... Great pick up for the Aztecs.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011 ... -transfer/

"Polee said he intends to plans to apply for a hardship waiver allowing him to play next season without sitting out a year, as NCAA transfer guidelines require. Such waivers are rarely granted, however."

duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

It's amazing what one good season can do for recruiting. Before this past season, nobody cared about San Diego State basketball.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

duckgrad99 wrote:It's amazing what one good season can do for recruiting. Before this past season, nobody cared about San Diego State basketball.
They've had a couple good years so not real surprising they are getting some good players now. Also, it's fairly close to Polee's family, which is a big draw for him.