Dunigan

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

RanDux
Senior

Dunigan

Post by RanDux »

With hard work he has raised his prospects to a mid-second round pick. I wish he had worked that hard while he was at Oregon.
http://www.registerguard.com/web/sports ... s.html.csp
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Re: Dunigan

Post by UOducksTK1 »

RanDux wrote:With hard work he has raised his prospects to a mid-second round pick. I wish he had worked that hard while he was at Oregon.
Ernie Kent.

I know it sucks to blame the lack of success on someone else, but it's partially the truth.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

If Dunigan truly wasn't in danger of ineligibility when he chose to leave, one has to wonder what might have been, had he stayed and put in the effort with the rest of Altman's 2010-11 team.

Water under the bridge at this point.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

uostudent
Senior

Post by uostudent »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
RanDux wrote:With hard work he has raised his prospects to a mid-second round pick. I wish he had worked that hard while he was at Oregon.
Ernie Kent.

I know it sucks to blame the lack of success on someone else, but it's partially the truth.
I wouldn't just blame Ernie here. Big Mike is a good guy, but he didn't work very hard (on the court) once he got to Eugene. He had a soft body (looks far more muscular now) and didn't seem interested in expanding his game. I think Mike expected to come into college and dominate because he was bigger than everyone else. DeAndre Jordan was kind of the same way at Texas A&M (though far more raw and a better athlete).
“If everybody in this room just want to be real with themselves, this game could have went either way,” he said. “We turned the ball over a lot. We beat ourself. Just be real with yourself right now. We beat ourself.”
-Jameis Winston after Oregon's decisive 59-20 victory over Florida State in the Rose Bowl
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

uostudent wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:
Ernie Kent.

I wouldn't just blame Ernie here. Big Mike is a good guy, but he didn't work very hard (on the court) once he got to Eugene. He had a soft body (looks far more muscular now) and didn't seem interested in expanding his game. I think Mike expected to come into college and dominate because he was bigger than everyone else. DeAndre Jordan was kind of the same way at Texas A&M (though far more raw and a better athlete).
Definitely, but it would have helped to have a coach who would coach him and push him.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
Boom
All Pac-12
GM: Houston Rockets

Post by Boom »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
uostudent wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:
Ernie Kent.

Definitely, but it would have helped to have a coach who would coach him and push him.
You gotta remember that the NCAA places regulations on how much time coaches can spend with their players... And Dunigan was barely here for two years... So that gave him one off season to work on his body?

I think Dunigan benefited significantly by going overseas... I doubt he would have made this type of progress at Oregon or a different school.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

On KEZI's 11 PM sportscast in Eugene, they were reporting that Dunigan said Jeremy Jacob had transferred. KEZI debunked that rumor by calling either the athletic department or Altman and they said JJ hadn't filed any transfer paperwork and was very much still with the team. I wonder where Dunigan got the idea that JJ had transferred.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

Might have just confused JJ with one of the 7 or 8 players who have transferred.

I don't necessarily blame EK for Dunigan's bust factor, either. At some point, you just gotta put in the work. Ernie was here for a long time, and a lot of players developed just fine.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Autzenoise
Five Star Recruit

Post by Autzenoise »

oregontrack wrote:I don't necessarily blame EK for Dunigan's bust factor, either. At some point, you just gotta put in the work. Ernie was here for a long time, and a lot of players developed just fine.
I very rarely bag on Ernie, but even I have to admit that his development of players was below average at very best :(

EDIT: I do agree that from what I heard from people around the program he was very lackadaisical about his work ethic while here.
"Canzano is to sports, what Jerry Springer is to news…"
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

While it doesn't rank up there with some of the incidents around the AD, the duck shooting incident eemed to indicate a certain lack of focus, and/or discipline.

http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindducksb ... ayers.html

Josh Crittle, Mike Dunigan, and Teondre Williams... All departed, post Kent.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

Autzenoise wrote:
oregontrack wrote:I don't necessarily blame EK for Dunigan's bust factor, either. At some point, you just gotta put in the work. Ernie was here for a long time, and a lot of players developed just fine.
I very rarely bag on Ernie, but even I have to admit that his development of players was below average at very best :(

EDIT: I do agree that from what I heard from people around the program he was very lackadaisical about his work ethic while here.
Indeed, but plenty of players did improve by leaps and bounds while they were here. If he wanted to, Dunigan could have been one of them.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Autzenoise
Five Star Recruit

Post by Autzenoise »

oregontrack wrote:
Autzenoise wrote:

Indeed, but plenty of players did improve by leaps and bounds while they were here. If he wanted to, Dunigan could have been one of them.
I think the problem was that Ernie had only one style of "mentoring". The kids that needed that kind of leadership and support flourished, while the ones that may have needed a little more stern mentoring, or a little more push didn't get it which resulted in not progressing as much as they could have.

Like any kind of good leader, he needed to be able to change his style to accommodate each individual player. As a retail manager for years, one of the first things you learn about leading people is understanding that you need to first understand what each person needs to be motivated. I think not being able to do this was a large part of Ernie's downfall.
"Canzano is to sports, what Jerry Springer is to news…"
Boom
All Pac-12
GM: Houston Rockets

Post by Boom »

oregontrack wrote:
Autzenoise wrote:

Agreed, I think most all players improved while they were at Oregon... You just didn't see it until their junior-senior years.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Most guards and wings improved, but not one big improved in there time at UO. In fact some of them where better as FR than as SR.
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

buckmarkduck wrote:Most guards and wings improved, but not one big improved in there time at UO. In fact some of them where better as FR than as SR.
Chris Christopherson?