Canzano's Lyles Interview

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

karlhungis
All Pac-12

Re: Canzano's Lyles Interview

Post by karlhungis »

TheMaehlMan wrote:Apparently Lyles has been backtracking on certain statements while talking with Isaac and Big Suke. I did not listen to the interview, but apparently it made Canzano's little shoe entry look absolutely hilarious.
Lyles even said that on the Clown's interview. He said that they had a case of rare Jordan's on display for all of the kids to look at. Not a specialized pair of shoes for Lache to keep.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
Zyme
All Pac-12
GM: New York Knicks GM

Post by Zyme »

I think this is worth digging up, as 1080 just did an interview with WL and he explicitly said that accusation was a load of crap. He was shown that shoe in a display case, never given or even handled.
DASL1 Rings: '93, '94

K's HOF:
Mark "Wholly Mammoth" Eaton | Retired 2002, age 44: 24 min/8pts/8reb/1stl/2.5 blks/1 TO
Michael "Sweet Home" Ansley | Retired 2007, age 42: 33 min/16pts/8 reb/1.5stl/.5 blks/.5 TO Lifetime .550 shooting %
Gheorghe "Ghiţă (Ghitza, Little George)" Mureșan | Retired 2008, age 36: 35Min/16.2pt/12.2reb/2.1ast/1.6stl/2.9blk/1.3TO (.461/.715/.000)
TheMaehlMan
Junior

Post by TheMaehlMan »

karlhungis wrote:Lyles even said that on the Clown's interview. He said that they had a case of rare Jordan's on display for all of the kids to look at. Not a specialized pair of shoes for Lache to keep.
That's priceless, I'm going to have to listen to the Crapzano interview later on.

Going to miss the Maehl Man
cesame
Two Star Recruit

Post by cesame »

The 1080 interview was great. Just great.

After failing multiple times of asking Lyles indirectly if he thinks Oregon knowingly cheated and Lyles saying no, they straight up ask him if he thinks they did and he again shuts them down and says no. By the end of the interview both hosts looked extremely disappointed and down.

Hell, Lyles even said the people at Oregon are "good people", although he is disappointed by the fact they sort of just threw him by the wayside when all this happened.

Listen to it if you get a chance. Lyles makes Oregon look good imo.

edit - also

Lyles himself said in the 1080 interview that he really thought Lache wanted to play for USC but it didn't happen because of the Carroll thing.
Last edited by cesame on Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zyme
All Pac-12
GM: New York Knicks GM

Post by Zyme »

cesame wrote:The 1080 interview was great. Just great.

After failing multiple times of asking Lyles indirectly if he thinks Oregon knowingly cheated and Lyles saying no, they straight up ask him if he thinks they did and he again shuts them down and says no. By the end of the interview both hosts looked extremely disappointed and down.

Hell, Lyles even said the people at Oregon are "good people", although he is disappointed by the fact they sort of just threw him by the wayside when all this happened.

Correct me if I am worng, but I heard him say that oregon had "good people", in reference to a question of oregon throwing him under the bus (which eh felt they had sort of) which to me says that he hurt by the actions of people running oregon (which I can understand), but differentiates from the school as a whole.
DASL1 Rings: '93, '94

K's HOF:
Mark "Wholly Mammoth" Eaton | Retired 2002, age 44: 24 min/8pts/8reb/1stl/2.5 blks/1 TO
Michael "Sweet Home" Ansley | Retired 2007, age 42: 33 min/16pts/8 reb/1.5stl/.5 blks/.5 TO Lifetime .550 shooting %
Gheorghe "Ghiţă (Ghitza, Little George)" Mureșan | Retired 2008, age 36: 35Min/16.2pt/12.2reb/2.1ast/1.6stl/2.9blk/1.3TO (.461/.715/.000)
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

I wonder if Lyles is aware that Oregon public records law required the Ducks to hand over all documentation from him to the media?

I've yet to see any quotes from Oregon that entering into business with Lyles was a bad idea... the only place I've seen that inferred is by media people (like Canzano) while citing off-the-record sources. Of course, I could be wrong...

I guess what I'm saying is that did Oregon really throw him under the bus, or did the media just make it seem that way?
Willie Taggart is a dick.
cesame
Two Star Recruit

Post by cesame »

Zyme wrote:
cesame wrote:The 1080 interview was great. Just great.

Correct me if I am worng, but I heard him say that oregon had "good people", in reference to a question of oregon throwing him under the bus (which eh felt they had sort of) which to me says that he hurt by the actions of people running oregon (which I can understand), but differentiates from the school as a whole.
I'd have to here it again. Just thought it was great that he still had nice things to say about the university despite what has happened to his reputation after all of this.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

That's true zyme, but at the same time he has said he provided UO with a lot more documents than we released to olive and that's why he feels we have thrown him under the bus. So yes we have to release all documents to the media, but there's nothing stopping us from slow playing them.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

It doesn't seem like the media has left Oregon with any options other than cutting ties with him and thereby "throwing him under the bus."
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
cesame
Two Star Recruit

Post by cesame »

Lyles said a lot of the information he gave Oregon was verbal via phone. Basically said he gave a lot of information to Oregon over the phone in conversation.
Sooth
Four Star Recruit

Post by Sooth »

Zyme wrote:I think this is worth digging up, as 1080 just did an interview with WL and he explicitly said that accusation was a load of crap. He was shown that shoe in a display case, never given or even handled.

how is it that the clown is not fired? if for nothing else, at least utter incompetence.

i didn't realizing being unbiased when covering home state teams meant going out of your way to make things up against the home state team.
wheaton4prez
Senior

Post by wheaton4prez »

pezsez1 wrote:I wonder if Lyles is aware that Oregon public records law required the Ducks to hand over all documentation from him to the media?

I've yet to see any quotes from Oregon that entering into business with Lyles was a bad idea... the only place I've seen that inferred is by media people (like Canzano) while citing off-the-record sources. Of course, I could be wrong...

I guess what I'm saying is that did Oregon really throw him under the bus, or did the media just make it seem that way?
I was yelling this as I was listening to Lyles in Canzano's interview.

I'm getting the impression that Lyles is basically just trying to wave the white flag in the face of the abuse he is getting from journalists. To some degree, I think that he has actually been convinced BY THE MEDIA that he did something wrong but doesn't really know himself what it is. Same thing with being "thrown under the bus." Unless there is some conversation or information we don't know about, it sounds like he doesn't realize that Oregon had to release those documents and was again convinced by the media that he was being thrown under the bus.
squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

Quackles wrote:
Zyme wrote:I think this is worth digging up, as 1080 just did an interview with WL and he explicitly said that accusation was a load of crap. He was shown that shoe in a display case, never given or even handled.

how is it that the clown is not fired? if for nothing else, at least utter incompetence.

i didn't realizing being unbiased when covering home state teams meant going out of your way to make things up against the home state team.
He's still employed because people still listen and read his articles. The newspaper industry is almost dead, and they need to get readers however they can. Canzano will create a story out of a nonissue because the Oregonian will pay him good money for the the readers it will create.
wheaton4prez
Senior

Post by wheaton4prez »

Sports journalism rewards hackery.

Go to any programs message board and ask if there is a local sports "journalist" that writes half-truths. Every one of them will have a name.
glazeduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by glazeduck »

squintsdd wrote:
Quackles wrote:

He's still employed because people still listen and read his articles. The newspaper industry is almost dead, and they need to get readers however they can. Canzano will create a story out of a nonissue because the Oregonian will pay him good money for the the readers it will create.
What he said. Unfortunately, the best way to react to sensationalism BS like this is to completely ignore it. The fewer callers and listeners Canzano has, the greater his chances of being fired. Alot of people think that if they call into the station angry, it'll make a difference - it doesn't, radio stations only care about whether or not you're listening.
wheaton4prez wrote:Sports journalism rewards hackery.

Go to any programs message board and ask if there is a local sports "journalist" that writes half-truths. Every one of them will have a name.
The sad reality is that this is becoming more and more the case with ALL journalism. For all of the wonderful things that the internet has given us, it has also killed (ok that's probably a little too harsh - I'll say grossly disfigured) professional journalism.

The business of media is no longer concerned with accuracy, prestige or clout - they care about viewers and website clicks. Professional journalism doesn't draw like sensationalistic hack pieces, so anyone in the industry trying to make a living like Canzano has had to adapt.