educk big news?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

oregontrack
All Pac-12

Re: educk big news?

Post by oregontrack »

greenyellow wrote:
oregontrack wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:Sounds like someone from another D1 school who can play this year, not a HS kid. My usual source has heard rumblings but nothing concrete yet so he's not letting it out until the kid is a for sure.
Yep. Not a one-and-done, either, I don't believe.
Must be someone with a hardship case waiver and with close ties to the West Coast if the NCAA would allow a non-SR to transfer without having to sit out a year or having already gotten their degree.
He has sat out a year.
ImageImageImageImageImage
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

uostudent wrote:There are a few interesting transfer options out there:
Jason Carter- played his freshman year at Alabama. Highly regarded center - 6'8 230
Eric McKnight- 6'9 215 PF from Iowa St. Another big time athlete. 3 years of eligibility. Interesting player, somewhat raw.
Ty Armstrong- 6'9 225 PF from Auburn. Seems like a major project. 2 years of eligibility.
Carter has been reported to transfer to Chipola (Sound familiar, Duck Fans? Former home of Jeremy Jacob and the now departed Malcolm Armstead) JC.

http://www.jucorecruiting.com/?p=721

McKnight is reported to have landed at Florida Gulf Coast University, a member of that basketball hotbed, the Atlantic Sun Conference.

http://www.fgcuathletics.com/mbasketball/

"The Florida Gulf Coast University men’s basketball team added some depth and size to its frontcourt on Monday, landing 6-foot-9 Iowa State transfer Eric McKnight. He will have to sit out the 2011-12 season due to NCAA four-year transfer rules, but will have three years of eligibility."

Armstrong played sparingly in 2010-11 while rehabbing a surgically repaired ACL that was torn last summer. As a freshman, Ty averaged 6.6 minutes/game, shot 53.6%, on 24-46field goal attempts, while hitting only 50% from the foul line.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

No I think it a former 5* type
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

Hasn't been mentioned yet...

I'm not trying to set up some elaborate guessing game here, I was told I couldn't say, but if someone stumbles across the right name, I suppose it wouldn't be me spilling the beans... :)

Former 4/5 star, sounds about right.
briarduck
Senior

Post by briarduck »

Cool great news. A experienced high level recruit is what need, I can't wait to find out
who.
GO DUCKS!! WTD!
mdm0302
Freshman

Post by mdm0302 »

oregontrack wrote:Hasn't been mentioned yet...

I'm not trying to set up some elaborate guessing game here, I was told I couldn't say, but if someone stumbles across the right name, I suppose it wouldn't be me spilling the beans... :)

Former 4/5 star, sounds about right.
come on oregontrack!! people like you coming across this kinda of info and sharing it with us is what makes this board great!!!
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

Anyone care to share who the player is? We won't get on you if it's wrong or doesn't end up happening. :)
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

Ok -- I've seen it on another site now. I think that means its fair game.

It's Tony Woods, former 4-star center who signed with Wake Forest and played two years. Didn't light the world on fire by any stretch of the imagination, but he's a talented kid. Sat out a year, was going to transfer to Louisville but the assistant who was recruiting him left and he reopened his recruitment. Kentucky, Texas, and Oregon were finalists. Reportedly committed to Altman a little while ago.

I have no idea if he'll be able to go on the European tour, but he should be 100% good to go at the beginning of the season, assuming he keeps his commitment.

He does have a track record of... not being an angel.
TheMaehlMan
Junior

Post by TheMaehlMan »

It sounds like he has the talent to be potentially great, but needs to get his head on straight. Considering that he is able to play on day one could make this a great pickup if it pans out, he was also a 5 star player on Rivals.

Thanks for sharing oregontrack!

Going to miss the Maehl Man
Elduderino
Senior

Post by Elduderino »

oregontrack wrote:Ok -- I've seen it on another site now. I think that means its fair game.

It's Tony Woods, former 4-star center who signed with Wake Forest and played two years. Didn't light the world on fire by any stretch of the imagination, but he's a talented kid. Sat out a year, was going to transfer to Louisville but the assistant who was recruiting him left and he reopened his recruitment. Kentucky, Texas, and Oregon were finalists. Reportedly committed to Altman a little while ago.

I have no idea if he'll be able to go on the European tour, but he should be 100% good to go at the beginning of the season, assuming he keeps his commitment.

He does have a track record of... not being an angel.
Nice. Good looking out friend. Altman seems like the kind of cat that doesn't take too kindly to kids being "rebellion." (that's a Pac Man Jones reference)
AKA: CAgrown
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

Thanks oregontrack. Woods would be a really solid get!
mdm0302
Freshman

Post by mdm0302 »

thanks oregontrack!
TheMaehlMan
Junior

Post by TheMaehlMan »

If Woods pans out and can provide a legitimate threat down low, then that will do wonders for our outside shooting as well. Altman is building something special, and I'm very excited.

Going to miss the Maehl Man
uostudent
Senior

Post by uostudent »

From a basketball perspective, Woods would be a huge pickup. He's a big body - 6'11 250, who is a tremendous athlete. He has monster potential as a rebounder and defensive presence. I've seen him play a decent amount at Wake and I don't remember him having an established low post game. He seemed more raw on the offensive end. The best comparison that I can make is DeAndre Jordan. Woods would be an enormous addition and add a dimension that this Oregon team currently doesn't possess.

Off the court, I'm not sure how I feel about him coming here. He isn't a guy who smoked a little weed or got an MIP. Assaulting a woman is a very serious crime. I trust Altman's judgment and assume that he's done his homework on Woods, as have the other coaches who have recruited him. Supposedly his AAU coach is in his corner as is his ex-girlfriend (the assault victim).
“If everybody in this room just want to be real with themselves, this game could have went either way,” he said. “We turned the ball over a lot. We beat ourself. Just be real with yourself right now. We beat ourself.”
-Jameis Winston after Oregon's decisive 59-20 victory over Florida State in the Rose Bowl
briarduck
Senior

Post by briarduck »

uostudent wrote:From a basketball perspective, Woods would be a huge pickup. He's a big body - 6'11 250, who is a tremendous athlete. He has monster potential as a rebounder and defensive presence. I've seen him play a decent amount at Wake and I don't remember him having an established low post game. He seemed more raw on the offensive end. The best comparison that I can make is DeAndre Jordan. Woods would be an enormous addition and add a dimension that this Oregon team currently doesn't possess.

Off the court, I'm not sure how I feel about him coming here. He isn't a guy who smoked a little weed or got an MIP. Assaulting a woman is a very serious crime. I trust Altman's judgment and assume that he's done his homework on Woods, as have the other coaches who have recruited him. Supposedly his AAU coach is in his corner as is his ex-girlfriend (the assault victim).
I am looking forward to see this kid play, damn an actual center on this team sweet but damn he better not screw up off the court...we don't need that.
GO DUCKS!! WTD!