Watched Burfict closely and came away fairly unimpressed

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

UofDuck
Senior

Watched Burfict closely and came away fairly unimpressed

Post by UofDuck »

This is not a "bag on a guy" post, but during the Mizzou game I watched him to see his play - wondering if he will be a first rounder. Honestly, the kid gives up on a lot of plays as soon the the ball goes the other way. Many, many times he gave very little effort in persuit, or if blocked and he might not make a play just stopped. I was really surprised. There were a few gains made when the play turned and came back towards him, but he was already stopped by then and not effective. Seems like he has brilliant flashes, and then takes a lot of plays off. Not an NFL LB thing to do. I wonder about his real character even more now. I was actually surprised because it was such a big game. And then he pulled the old "ankle" injury to sit for a while (my assumption here of course). It is odd how every time he looks tired, he finds a way to the bench for treatment.
Quack_12
Four Star Recruit

Re: Watched Burfict closely and came away fairly unimpressed

Post by Quack_12 »

Yeah VB got a big head or some because I remember that play when he came thru the middle and tried to put his shoulder in the RB and just completely missed. They talked him up big time in the offseason and he didn't go do what he did last year. AZI ST is trying to be just like Oregon way to much it's kinda sad.
Black_and_Yellow
One Star Recruit

Post by Black_and_Yellow »

I didn't watch him that closely, but I saw the behavior you speak of. I also saw him being the same out of control player. I saw an ASU player talking smack right in a Mizzou player's face, it was beyond normal trash talking. The camera was zoomed in close enough to tell that the ASU player was yelling violently (screaming) in the other guys face mask. Then saw the crazy guy was #7, Vontez Burfict.

I also saw #7 dive late onto piles and over a tackled player a couple times. It is one of the things he seems to like to do. It is totally a look at me behavior and he seems to only occasionally get called for the penalty (late hit, unnecessary roughness). There is a clip of him diving onto a pile well after the play is over in one of the PAC-12 commercials, which is funny and ridiculous.

I also saw him being lazy on some plays. I wasn't even trying to watch Burfict, I was just seeing a guy being lazy and low and behold its #7. And I agree that he seems to be using "injuries" to get a rest.

He still exhibits the erradict behavior that has got him in trouble in the past.
ImageImageImage
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

He looked like a completely different player in that game. I was surprised to see his regression.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
Bud Lee
All Pac-12

Post by Bud Lee »

He looked very impressive and explosive as he jumped around and hyped himself up before the snap…after the snap not so much.

He’ll still go in the 2nd or 3rd round though….probably to the Raiders.
Quack_12
Four Star Recruit

Post by Quack_12 »

Raiders already have TP for there 3rd pick maybe 4th to seattle.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

I think some team will end up taking a chance on him in like the 2nd round but will get absolutely burned by his character flaws and lack of growth as a FB player. He really doesn't seem all that different from his FR year.
Zyme
All Pac-12
GM: New York Knicks GM

Post by Zyme »

Bud Lee wrote:He looked very impressive and explosive as he jumped around and hyped himself up before the snap…after the snap not so much.

Perfect fit. Crazy athletic, no work ethic or character.
DASL1 Rings: '93, '94

K's HOF:
Mark "Wholly Mammoth" Eaton | Retired 2002, age 44: 24 min/8pts/8reb/1stl/2.5 blks/1 TO
Michael "Sweet Home" Ansley | Retired 2007, age 42: 33 min/16pts/8 reb/1.5stl/.5 blks/.5 TO Lifetime .550 shooting %
Gheorghe "Ghiţă (Ghitza, Little George)" Mureșan | Retired 2008, age 36: 35Min/16.2pt/12.2reb/2.1ast/1.6stl/2.9blk/1.3TO (.461/.715/.000)
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

Bud Lee wrote:He looked very impressive and explosive as he jumped around and hyped himself up before the snap…after the snap not so much.

Glad you saw it too Bud. He looks a little out of shape to me too.
Last edited by UofDuck on Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheMaehlMan
Junior

Post by TheMaehlMan »

Even Arizona State fans were unimpressed with Burfict's play against Mizzou, so I don't think this game is a perfect example of him. He's not a top 15 pick like some think, but he is a dangerous player.

Going to miss the Maehl Man
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Don't kid yourselves, the kid will be a top 20 pick. Is he crazy? Sure, but you get him on a team with stud dline and he will dominate until he gets kicked out of the game.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

TheMaehlMan wrote:Even Arizona State fans were unimpressed with Burfict's play against Mizzou, so I don't think this game is a perfect example of him. He's not a top 15 pick like some think, but he is a dangerous player.
Dangerous, as in he may snap and go berserk to the point he needs restraint from his own teammates.
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

buckmarkduck wrote:Don't kid yourselves, the kid will be a top 20 pick. Is he crazy? Sure, but you get him on a team with stud dline and he will dominate until he gets kicked out of the game.
Nobody in the NFL can live on raw talent alone. You HAVE to work hard. It is a profession. JaMarcus didn't and....
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

I've never heard one bad thing about his work ethic, just mental. He may have had a avg game, but he's still awesome as just a pure player. If Romanoskie(SP) can play for 15 years in the NFL so can this guy. Most LB aren't all there, in fact I've met Tj Ward a few times and he's nice but crazy. As someone who played football through college, I can tell you a lot of guys are a bit nuts. You have to be to want to throw your body against another guys at full speed. If we where all smart we would have done something safer. :lol:
Black_and_Yellow
One Star Recruit

Post by Black_and_Yellow »

The problem with Burfict isn't that he is agressive, mean, or violent on the field. You could say the same things about Ray Lewis, Warren Sapp, and pretty much any great defensive player. The difference between Burfict and those guys (really insert any great defensive player) is that they channel their nastiness and are mentally focused.

Burfict seems to make his best plays when he emotionally out of control (getting stupid penalties).
ImageImageImage