6 pac10 teams in the tournament?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

6 pac10 teams in the tournament?

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Really? USC wouldn't have made it if they didn't win the tournament, and Arizona was a shocker...

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Re: 6 pac10 teams in the tournament?

Post by duckgrad99 »

Arizona getting in was ridiculous, especially after USC got in. Arizona didn't play well at the end, didn't win in the first round of the conference tourny, didn't beat impressive teams on the road, etc. I know there are snubs every year, but the fact that St. Mary's didn't get in is ridiculous. Most of the bubble teams had a better case than Arizona.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

It's almost like people are afraid of ending their consecutive tourney appearance streak. They get in because, "Well it's Arizona, we havta put them in".
uofo627
One Star Recruit

Post by uofo627 »

I agree with you guys on this, but who would you chosen to go in their place?
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

uofo627 wrote:I agree with you guys on this, but who would you chosen to go in their place?
St. Mary's.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

uofo627 wrote:I agree with you guys on this, but who would you chosen to go in their place?

St Mary's. They finished 26-6. Like the analysts said, who knew that teams they played like Oregon and Southern Illinios would have down years before the schedule came out? They also beat Providence, Kent State and San Diego State. I'm extra sensitive to snubs because Oregon has been snubbed in football and even basketball in terms of tournament seeding.
alabamaduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by alabamaduck »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:It's almost like people are afraid of ending their consecutive tourney appearance streak. They get in because, "Well it's Arizona, we havta put them in".

I disagree, if that was the case UK would be in the tournament too. I think the committee just realized that this season was a very strange one for the 'Zona with the Olsen situation and gave them the benefit of the doubt, sort of like when Michigan State got a 1 seed with like 7-8 losses because Mateen Cleaves had missed a large part of the season
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

Oregon State and Stanford made the CBI tournament. Washington State made the NIT. That means that every pac-10 team except for Oregon will be playing in a postseason game.
pudgejeff
Senior
GM: Sacramento Kings GM

Post by pudgejeff »

Arizona got in because it beat 4 conference champions...Kansas, Washington, Gonzaga, and the Big Sky or something like that champ.
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

pudgejeff wrote:Arizona got in because it beat 4 conference champions...Kansas, Washington, Gonzaga, and the Big Sky or something like that champ.
Agree! Arizona got in because they were without a doubt the best team in that 7-team bubble group and the only team in that group that would have a chance in that first round game.

St. Marys? Please. That is hilarious. They lost to Gonzaga all three times and just got blasted by 30 points in the tourney game by the same team that Arizona beat.
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

I disagree about Arizona. You also have to look at how a team finished the year. You also have to look at key victories away from home. You also have to consider the fact that Arizona went 9-9 in a down conference. Whether they will win in the tournament is irrelevant. Even if you don't think St Mary's should have been in, I think Arizona should have been out. Just my opinion.
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

duckgrad99 wrote:I disagree about Arizona. You also have to look at how a team finished the year. You also have to look at key victories away from home. You also have to consider the fact that Arizona went 9-9 in a down conference. Whether they will win in the tournament is irrelevant. Even if you don't think St Mary's should have been in, I think Arizona should have been out. Just my opinion.
I will agree that those last 7 or 8 teams were all pretty flawed and you could make a case that none of them should have made it. This is a year where I don't think any of those teams that were left out can say that "they were screwed".
pudgejeff
Senior
GM: Sacramento Kings GM

Post by pudgejeff »

The Pac-10 was not a down conference this year...I don't understand how people continue to say that.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

pudgejeff wrote:The Pac-10 was not a down conference this year...I don't understand how people continue to say that.
I never got it when people said the Pac-10 was down. Yes, a lot of good players left, but they left teams that still had lots of talent returning. While there was no elite team like last year (UCLA), there were still 6 solid teams that can compete in the tournament. I don't think that anybody except for Washington and UCLA can get to the 2nd weekend, but I think that every team has a realistic chance to get out of the first round.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

pudgejeff wrote:The Pac-10 was not a down conference this year...I don't understand how people continue to say that.
I just think it's down compared to the last few years. There's no "elite" team that will be in title contention, there was 3-4 really good teams. There wasn't a bevy of top draft picks like last year either. The Pac-10 was still very good, just not quit what it was the past couple years.