NBA Lockout

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

ncduck
Senior

NBA Lockout

Post by ncduck »

Is it me, or does it seem like every other day the owners offer a deal that is in turn rejected by the players?

At some point, shouldn't the players do some work?

I think the season is lost. I have a poor(er) opinion of the Players Association after all of this.
Duck07
All-American

Re: NBA Lockout

Post by Duck07 »

ncduck wrote:Is it me, or does it seem like every other day the owners offer a deal that is in turn rejected by the players?

At some point, shouldn't the players do some work?

I think the season is lost. I have a poor(er) opinion of the Players Association after all of this.
Yes, they do offer another deal. One that they continue to tell the players will get worse and worse each passing day. That sounds to me the exact words and stance that a group of owners who are telling us they are all broke would take. Don't you think so? I think the farce of the economic situation has been shown now and this is why the players are taking this stance. They've asked the owners to open the books since they claim they are so broke and they refuse to. Why take them at face value, especially now, when you would think a poor owner wouldn't want to miss any revenue if were told so many of them are close to bankruptcy?

Personally, I loathe David Stern and his cronyism. He gets way too much credit for expanding the nba overseas when in fact he had nothing to do with it: It was all from Yao Ming. Stern cannot get credit for a guy from China playing in the NBA, that's just the law of randomness. He merely exploited an oppurtunity that anybody in his position would have done. Now, he's put the league in a position to have a 42 game season (or possibly none) and rake in the post-season money. He's forcing his way to cutting 2 teams from the league and I think it was stupid for the players to disband. The NFLPA told them it was a bad idea on their part because it cut away their ability to do things.

The good news though is that I will be watching more college ball this year.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

The longer this goes on, the less I could actually care. The NFLPA was smart enough to know that losing games meant losing money so eagerly worked on getting a new deal. The NBAPA could sure learn a thing from them. Most players should be outraged that they can't come to some sort of agreement to split the $4 billion in revenue the NBA makes annually. I also blame this on the owners as well since those in the bigger markets (LA, Chicago, NY) are trying to bully those in smaller markets (i.e. OKC, Milwaukee, Sacramento) that have a hard time with the way the NBA is structured as of now.
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

Screw the NBA. They couldn't have picked a worse time for this to happen. Everyone involved is selfish.
cordy02c
Senior

Post by cordy02c »

I know not many people probably care all that much but the lockout is apparently over
thomas time
Senior

Post by thomas time »

I'm glad it is, time for some blazers now that the ducks are about to be over. Can't wait to see my man Gerald all over the place and see LaMarcus pickup from where he was last year.
rockthief
Senior

Post by rockthief »

duckgrad99 wrote:Screw the NBA. They couldn't have picked a worse time for this to happen. Everyone involved is selfish.

bullseye!
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

I will end up watching, I can already tell you that, but not as much as in the past. For all the Blazer fans on here, what are your thoughts about this, since it appears this is what really needs to happen for Rip City.

Find your New GM, and quick. (well, def. not jason quick...)
Is the Amnesty Clause this year only or any time in the decade? If its this year only, you have to cut Roy because you can't really pay all the tax on him.
If no Roy, can you really get Crawford? If you don't cut Roy, you can't sign Crawford (or any other decent player in large part because of the tax liability like Carl Landry)
Has Felton been playing with anybody on the team at all like Brees and other did in the nfl? The Blazers have to fully shift this to LMA's team now and not Roy's. To do this, you need to force-feed him the ball. Don't let him pass out without feeding it back again.

Any other thoughts? Seems to me that with a healthy Wes, Crash and Camby we've got a real nice 2-3-4-5 starting. Nic to me is the wildcard. I think this guy is ready to take the next step after taking on The Man status in France this year. Fan favorite Patty will be in China and I think (hope) Chris Johnson is able to emulate Camby's style of play as a back-up until a possible GO return. You obviously can't expect much for him other than hoping he merely stays healthy and continues to get better.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

i just hope felton can knock down an open trey.
ImageImageImageImageImage
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

I'm just glad there is something to watch after football is over.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
thomas time
Senior

Post by thomas time »

Ya needed NBA now that football is basically over. As for the season I see the Blazers finishing sixth or seventh just like the two years, and then go out in the first round for the fourth straight year. They got enough talent to make the playoffs, but not enough to win series I think. Looking foward to watching my boy crash!
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

the blazers are in a very dangerous place.

too good to not win, not good enough to win anything substantial. if all the pieces fall in place, they could win a playoff series. if injuries hit or if they actually try to go into the season with the frontcourt as currently constructed, they could fall into the lottery, but it'll be #13 or #14, meaning the pick will be largely pointless. i agree with thomas time above, i foresee a #6-8 finish and a first round exit. i think it will take time to adjust to the post-andre era.

tough spot to be in.
thomas time
Senior

Post by thomas time »

From espn.com Brandon going to retire, maybe as soon as today. Blazers get that cap space starting next it looks like, I wonder what they will do with that? Sad day for Brandon and all blazers fans, you will forever be loved in PORTLAND B ROY!!! Thanks for all the great memories!!!
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

yep, we should get all that money off the books in april of 2012, as that would be a year since he last played. meaning we can actually do something in the 2012 free agent class. and they could amnesty roy on top of the medical retirement and save themselves $10 mil in luxury taxes this season.

sucks to see him go, but it's probably for the best. very glad i went up to pdx and saw that final flash of greatness in game four against the mavs.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

thomas time wrote:From espn.com Brandon going to retire, maybe as soon as today. Blazers get that cap space starting next it looks like, I wonder what they will do with that? Sad day for Brandon and all blazers fans, you will forever be loved in PORTLAND B ROY!!! Thanks for all the great memories!!!
Well Brandon, even though you're a poodle, remember everything you've been able to accomplish in your life to this point and don't view this as too being too terrible. You'll be a much healthier old man now, you've got plenty in the bank and since you've got a degree, you shouldn't go and waste it away like others have.

Sad and surprising to hear, but again, thanks for all those memories.

Can we please go fire the entire medical staff and replace with them with a competent group now?