Buckeye's Ruling expected soon

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

Duck07
All-American

Buckeye's Ruling expected soon

Post by Duck07 »

and we can all rest assured that new Coach Urban Meyer won't be slapped real hard by this.

In other contradictory related news, you should check out this article written by former St. Joe's player Todd O'Brien and how a vindictive coach won't release him from his scholly to play at UAB.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/b ... =hp_t11_a3
Bud Lee
All Pac-12

Re: Buckeye's Ruling expected soon

Post by Bud Lee »

They self disciplined so they won’t have the hammer dropped on them…but I expect the NCAA to still make an example.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Bud Lee wrote:They self disciplined so they won’t have the hammer dropped on them…but I expect the NCAA to still make an example.
1 year bowl ban is passing on the ticker for 2012. I mentioned earlier they should have declined this years "garbage" bowl as part of those self-imposed sanctions, oh well.
Bud Lee
All Pac-12

Post by Bud Lee »

Duck07 wrote:
Bud Lee wrote:They self disciplined so they won’t have the hammer dropped on them…but I expect the NCAA to still make an example.
1 year bowl ban is passing on the ticker for 2012. I mentioned earlier they should have declined this years "garbage" bowl as part of those self-imposed sanctions, oh well.

yeah..sounds like that and some additional scholly loses.
Bud Lee
All Pac-12

Post by Bud Lee »

How does this compare to USC's deal...seems similar but maybe I'm missing something.

I like that they went after Tressel.

From another site...
looks like Ohio State's self-imposed penalties didn't measure up to the NCAA viewpoint. OSU offered-up 5 schollies over a 3 year period, and a 2 year Probation.

NCAA added 4 additional scholarship losses (9 total over 3 years) , a 3-Year Probation period, and a 1-Year Bowl Ban next season.

Additionally, they slapped Tressel with a 5-Year Show Cause, effectively blacklisting him from the college coaching profession for his role in covering-up the Buckeyes scandal.
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

Bud Lee wrote:How does this compare to USC's deal...seems similar but maybe I'm missing something.

I like that they went after Tressel.

From another site...
looks like Ohio State's self-imposed penalties didn't measure up to the NCAA viewpoint. OSU offered-up 5 schollies over a 3 year period, and a 2 year Probation.

NCAA added 4 additional scholarship losses (9 total over 3 years) , a 3-Year Probation period, and a 1-Year Bowl Ban next season.

Additionally, they slapped Tressel with a 5-Year Show Cause, effectively blacklisting him from the college coaching profession for his role in covering-up the Buckeyes scandal.
Slap on the wrist compared to SC. Trojans are limited to 15 scholarships per year for 3 years (a loss of 30 schollies) 75 total rides and a 2 year bowl ban. In addition they vacated wins, got four years probation, and were stripped of the 2004 National Championship, although it may have been reinstated. Bush also lost his Heisman.
neezy3
Four Star Recruit

Post by neezy3 »

Ohio St rolled over and fired their coach, Usc didn't work with the Ncaa and Mike Garrett fought them every step of the way is what made the big difference imo. It will be interesting to see what happens here in the next 1-3 months.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

I will be SHOCKED if tOSU gets anything other than a slap on the wrist. This is how I felt before the hiring of Urb. Now that he is on board, I will be even more shocked if the NCAA does anything.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
Bud Lee
All Pac-12

Post by Bud Lee »

Slap on the wrist compared to SC. Trojans are limited to 15 scholarships per year for 3 years (a loss of 30 schollies)
Ohio State is losing 27 schollies for over a period of 3 years...that is only 1 less per year that USC
75 total rides

not sure what you mean by this
and a 2 year bowl ban.

that is only 1 less year than Ohio State
In addition they vacated wins, got four years probation, and were stripped of the 2004 National Championship, although it may have been reinstated.
They had to vacate their 2010 wins including the Big 10 title...they also self imposed themselves by giving back the bowl money (something USC didn't have to do unless I'm mistaking),
Bush also lost his Heisman.
Should not factor in here.

Not trying to argue here...but their deal just seems pretty darn similar to USC's...more lenient of course BUT they worked with the NCAA and not against them like USC.

I don’t know…I have no ties to either school or either conference and as an outsider I’m cool with both punishments. I would expect the same punishment for any SEC school that did the same thing Ohio State did.
Bud Lee
All Pac-12

Post by Bud Lee »

karlhungis wrote:I will be SHOCKED if tOSU gets anything other than a slap on the wrist. This is how I felt before the hiring of Urb. Now that he is on board, I will be even more shocked if the NCAA does anything.

So....you feel that the loss of 27 schollys and 1 year bowl ban with a 3 year probation period is a "slap" .... or about right?
L Perry
Four Star Recruit

Post by L Perry »

Bud Lee wrote:
Slap on the wrist compared to SC. Trojans are limited to 15 scholarships per year for 3 years (a loss of 30 schollies)
Ohio State is losing 27 schollies for over a period of 3 years...that is only 1 less per year that USC
75 total rides

and a 2 year bowl ban.

that is only 1 less year than Ohio State
In addition they vacated wins, got four years probation, and were stripped of the 2004 National Championship, although it may have been reinstated.
They had to vacate their 2010 wins including the Big 10 title...they also self imposed themselves by giving back the bowl money (something USC didn't have to do unless I'm mistaking),

Not trying to argue here...but their deal just seems pretty darn similar to USC's...more lenient of course BUT they worked with the NCAA and not against them like USC.

I don’t know…I have no ties to either school or either conference and as an outsider I’m cool with both punishments. I would expect the same punishment for any SEC school that did the same thing Ohio State did.
Well you are wrong in the amount of lost schollies, it is 9 TOTAL! That is 3 a year for three years. The 1 year bowl ban, I do not have that much problem with since it is accompanied by the 5 year 'show cause' for Tressel. Which pretty much ends his college coaching career. I expected more loss of schollies. Had it been the 9, that you mistakenly thought it was, I would have been fine with it. But it's not, therefore IMO it is a Frakking joke.

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/pub ... season+ban
Probae esti in segetem sunt deteriorem datae fruges, tamen ipsae suaptae enitent
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

Bud Lee wrote:
75 total rides

USC is limited to a maximum of 75 football players on scholarship, Ohio State can still have the standard 85. The question of the Heisman is a grey area. Former winners are a selling feature for the school so losing one diminishes that. Of course in SC's case it's not a big difference between 7 or 8.

Edit--just saw this in the Ted Miller blog...

Yes, when you hold up the Ohio State case and the USC case, it's impossible not to conclude the Ohio State case was far more severe. It was, of course, without question. No informed, objective person believes differently.

Trojans fans spell out the word playoffs, but there won't be any postseason play for USC this season.
But here's the thing: Being outraged will accomplish nothing. You will be unhappy and your team will still be docked 30 scholarships over the next three years for what one player secretly did while Ohio State will be down just nine scholarships over the same time period for the rule-breaking of five with full knowledge of their head coach.

http://espn.go.com/blog/pac12/post/_/id ... e-usc-fans
L Perry
Four Star Recruit

Post by L Perry »

maxduck wrote:
Bud Lee wrote:
75 total rides

USC is limited to a maximum of 75 football players on scholarship, Ohio State can still have the standard 85.
That is incorrect.
"•Reduction of football scholarships from 85 to 82 for each of the 2012-13, 2013-14 and 2014-15 academic years. This is an increase from the university’s proposal of five initial scholarships spread over three academic years."

from the NCAA link in the previous post
Probae esti in segetem sunt deteriorem datae fruges, tamen ipsae suaptae enitent
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

I liked the "5-year show cause" restriction for Tressel. I hope going forward that more coaches are held accountable for their actions and less punishment on the actual players who had nothing to do with it.
grumpybadger
One Star Recruit

Post by grumpybadger »

The difference cited between tOSU and SC is that USC was hit for lack of institutional control and tOSU was failure to monitor. To me it is semantics, but a big difference in the eyes of the NCAA.