What about the Ragin' Cajuns?
They love that name by the way.
Zyme
All Pac-12
GM: New York Knicks GM

Re: NCAA Hypocrisy

Post by Zyme »

Or the Hawaii Rainbow Warriors.

But seriously, this has come up before with every native american group. I was raised a 'noles fan and the NCAA have, multiple times, tried to force FSU to change. The siminole nation had to give express permission, wheras before it was informal, that they approve of the use and images.
DASL1 Rings: '93, '94

K's HOF:
Mark "Wholly Mammoth" Eaton | Retired 2002, age 44: 24 min/8pts/8reb/1stl/2.5 blks/1 TO
Michael "Sweet Home" Ansley | Retired 2007, age 42: 33 min/16pts/8 reb/1.5stl/.5 blks/.5 TO Lifetime .550 shooting %
Gheorghe "Ghiţă (Ghitza, Little George)" Mureșan | Retired 2008, age 36: 35Min/16.2pt/12.2reb/2.1ast/1.6stl/2.9blk/1.3TO (.461/.715/.000)
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Zyme wrote:Or the Hawaii Rainbow Warriors.

But seriously, this has come up before with every native american group. I was raised a 'noles fan and the NCAA have, multiple times, tried to force FSU to change. The siminole nation had to give express permission, wheras before it was informal, that they approve of the use and images.
The Seminole Nation of Florida has agreed to it but I've seen a couple times when the Seminole Tribe of Oklahoma has raised a stink about it.
Bud Lee
All Pac-12

Post by Bud Lee »

I’ve always considered this a stupid reason to complain. If someone named a team the “fighting Coonases” I wouldn’t be offended. In fact I want to hereby expressly give everyone permission to do so.
ncduck
Senior

Post by ncduck »

I have a friend from Many, Louisiana. He told me all about Coonasses.

If a team had that nickname, I would root for them in all games in all sports unless playing Oregon.
Bud Lee
All Pac-12

Post by Bud Lee »

ncduck wrote:I have a friend from Many, Louisiana. He told me all about Coonasses.

If a team had that nickname, I would root for them in all games in all sports unless playing Oregon.

They are a special breed of people...I'm a blend of many things and that would be one of them.