Jeremy Lin

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

justducky0
Senior

Jeremy Lin

Post by justducky0 »

Is a hooper, Its nice to see him succeed. Humble, well educated player succeeding on the biggest stage with unimaginable pressure.
alabamaduck
Four Star Recruit

Re: Jeremy Lin

Post by alabamaduck »

To be honest I'm already sick of hearing about him...the hype is Tebow-like
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

He's won them 6 games in a row, go look at his stats. TO machine, yes. But his story is amazing, and that game winner against Toronto was gold.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

i agree, it is a nice little story... so it's too bad that i'm going to really start to hate this kid in a couple days when espn officially runs this thing into the ground.

oops, it just happened. a graphic on sportscenter just compared lin to tim tebow. the shark has been jumped.
ImageImageImageImageImage
justducky0
Senior

Post by justducky0 »

I hate the comparison to Tebow.... Lin actually possesses skill.
OreDucks01284
Senior

Post by OreDucks01284 »

justducky0 wrote:I hate the comparison to Tebow.... Lin actually possesses skill.
This^^^

Sent from my SGH-T839 using Tapatalk
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

oregontrack wrote:i agree, it is a nice little story... so it's too bad that i'm going to really start to hate this kid in a couple days when espn officially runs this thing into the ground.

oops, it just happened. a graphic on sportscenter just compared lin to tim tebow. the shark has been jumped.
Too late, they already have. As have all the other news outlets. If Lin had been some white guy with the same path to the NBA, it would receive almost no notice, but with Lin being Asian, it's the biggest news since sliced bread. It's a nice story and all but to me it seems a bit like pandering and even a bit condescending, if not racist, with people shocked at an Asian being good at BB.
squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

greenyellow wrote:
oregontrack wrote:i agree, it is a nice little story... so it's too bad that i'm going to really start to hate this kid in a couple days when espn officially runs this thing into the ground.

Too late, they already have. As have all the other news outlets. If Lin had been some white guy with the same path to the NBA, it would receive almost no notice, but with Lin being Asian, it's the biggest news since sliced bread. It's a nice story and all but to me it seems a bit like pandering and even a bit condescending, if not racist, with people shocked at an Asian being good at BB.
I haven't heard of anybody saying that this is a story only because he's racist. It's a story because he's a kid who didn't have a scholly offer, went undrafted, and has now found himslef in the lime light in New York. From what I understand, the kid was a good college player for a school in a very weak conference that doesn't have many stars run through it, but actually wasn't that good of an NBA prospect. Look at him, not the Asian part, he's a small frail turnover machine. Anyone who predicted that he could put up 30+ in a game is full of s***. I don't care what race he is, 9 times out of 10 kids like that are going to suck.
Race doesn't fly with me. You're talking about a league that is primarily black and constantly looking at other countries for the next big foreign star. IMO people who bring race into this are the true racists. So please, don't turn a kids success into something about race. Just be happy for him.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

squintsdd wrote:
greenyellow wrote:

I haven't heard of anybody saying that this is a story only because he's racist. It's a story because he's a kid who didn't have a scholly offer, went undrafted, and has now found himslef in the lime light in New York. From what I understand, the kid was a good college player for a school in a very weak conference that doesn't have many stars run through it, but actually wasn't that good of an NBA prospect. Look at him, not the Asian part, he's a small frail turnover machine. Anyone who predicted that he could put up 30+ in a game is full of s***. I don't care what race he is, 9 times out of 10 kids like that are going to suck.
Race doesn't fly with me. You're talking about a league that is primarily black and constantly looking at other countries for the next big foreign star. IMO people who bring race into this are the true racists. So please, don't turn a kids success into something about race. Just be happy for him.
I'm sure him being a Harvard grad is part of it but you have to admit that if he wasn't Asian, this story wouldn't be getting as much play as it has. I'm half Chinese so don't throw the racism card at me.
Last edited by greenyellow on Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
duck55
Senior

Post by duck55 »

greenyellow wrote: I'm half Chinese so don't through the racism card at me.
Which half - the green or the yellow? :o

Agree on your point of his being Asian as a boost for the media. (no more Yao Ming).
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

i think it's a perfect storm of things, several of which have already been mentioned. yeah, i think a *little* does have to do with being asian american. it's certainly not the entire story, but i think it does play its part. part of it is his backstory (barely recruited, not drafted, ect.). part of it is that he's blowing up in new york, the world capitol of media excess. part of it is that we're in a post-football void and espn is desperate for their newest tim tebow.
ImageImageImageImageImage
squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

greenyellow wrote:
squintsdd wrote:
greenyellow wrote:

I'm sure him being a Harvard grad is part of it but you have to admit that if he wasn't Asian, this story wouldn't be getting as much play as it has. I'm half Chinese so don't throw the racism card at me.
I really don't care if you're full Chinese, his race has very very little to do with this, if anything. I haven't heard one person say "holy s***, this Asian kid is incredible. Who would've though a little Asian kid could do this". The fact that he came from absolutely nowhere is the reason why people have taken notice. Like I said before, This is a league that is constantly looking for the next big thing from other countries, including China, so race is not why he's getting all the publicity.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Woops!
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Duck07 wrote:Image

Woops!
squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

Lol, unless someone said that that was intended because he's Asian, I think that has more to do with someone not thinking before they wrote the headline. One could argue that actually it's not about race because the writer wasn't thinking about Lin being Chinese when he wrote it. Unfortunately people see racism when it's not there. Sometimes a coincidental screw up is just that. I admit that the photo seems a little too coincidental, but I can't imagine someone would be dumb enough to intentionally put that up on Espn, for millions to see, with the intent of it to be racist.