Ducks deserved to lose

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

OregonFan4Life
All-American

Ducks deserved to lose

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Blame on poor shooting, but I saw an Oregon team that didnt want it as much as their opponents. Colorado put our far more effort and just beat Oregon. Very disappointed in the lack of effort tonight from the Ducks. Goodbye NCAA tourney.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Re: Ducks deserved to lose

Post by Tray Dub »

I agree with the title, not with the content. We shot poorly because we couldn't set up a good offense. We didn't lose from lack of effort, we lost from lack of discipline, composure, toughness, etc. But we did deserve to lose. So it hurts a little less than if we had been the better team tonight and lost. CU deserved it.
AutzenMember
Five Star Recruit

Post by AutzenMember »

Totally agree that Oregon deserved to lose...that was garbage. With everything on the line, poor effort finding quality shots.

Why design a play for a three, when you're down by one...get to the rack!
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Tray Dub wrote:I agree with the title, not with the content. We shot poorly because we couldn't set up a good offense. We didn't lose from lack of effort, we lost from lack of discipline, composure, toughness, etc. But we did deserve to lose. So it hurts a little less than if we had been the better team tonight and lost. CU deserved it.
Well, Olu, Emory, Woods, and some of the players put in great effort. Sim played with the least effort IMO. Saw lots of lazy cuts and screens, and I still can't believe the selfish play from Joseph.
TheMaehlMan
Junior

Post by TheMaehlMan »

This game was a perfect example of why we need a true point guard. The shooters were ineffective because they weren't getting good shots and either had to force a shot or made a turnover trying to make something happen.

The questioning of effort is laughable though. It came down to not having one piece on a night where Colorado played very tight and effective defense. You have spouted off before with a lack of knowledge about basketball, so this doesn't surprise me.

Going to miss the Maehl Man
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

AutzenMember wrote:Totally agree that Oregon deserved to lose...that was garbage. With everything on the line, poor effort finding quality shots.

Why design a play for a three, when you're down by one...get to the rack!
I would've liked to see Emory at least get a chance to penetrate on that last possession.
Boom
All Pac-12
GM: Houston Rockets

Post by Boom »

TheMaehlMan wrote:This game was a perfect example of why we need a true point guard. The shooters were ineffective because they weren't getting good shots and either had to force a shot or made a turnover trying to make something happen.

The questioning of effort is laughable though. It came down to not having one piece on a night where Colorado played very tight and effective defense. You have spouted off before with a lack of knowledge about basketball, so this doesn't surprise me.
Really?

I didn't see any sense of urgency until late in the 2nd half.

I thought they started the game very flat... which imo is a reflection of their effort & focus.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

Whelp... That really sucked. Definitely expected a better showing than that.

Anyone see the fool from the buffs celebrating so hard he stepped on a towel & took a major face plant? That was YouTube material.
uostudent
Senior

Post by uostudent »

TheMaehlMan wrote:This game was a perfect example of why we need a true point guard. The shooters were ineffective because they weren't getting good shots and either had to force a shot or made a turnover trying to make something happen.

Good post. Way too much iso. We saw the bad Garrett Sim tonight. He was forced to attempt to create for his teammates - and that's not his game. Sim is an undersized SG. He was complete failure in his first two years under Ernie because he was being forced to play the point. This year, Sim was technically the point guard, but wasn't the team's primary ball handler - it was Joseph and to a lesser extent, Singler. Joseph played terrible basketball. He was way too selfish and continued to shoot even when he didn't have good looks. Emory should have gotten way more shot attempts. Tony Woods looked unstoppable in the post. Not sure why they went away from that.

Having Artis next season will help a lot. Still, this team desperately needs a SG. Excited to see what Woods and Emory can do in expanded roles. I don't think next year's team will have nearly as much depth though.
“If everybody in this room just want to be real with themselves, this game could have went either way,” he said. “We turned the ball over a lot. We beat ourself. Just be real with yourself right now. We beat ourself.”
-Jameis Winston after Oregon's decisive 59-20 victory over Florida State in the Rose Bowl
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

Boom wrote:

Really?

I thought they started the game very flat... which imo is a reflection of their effort & focus.
I don't mean to get personal, but I seriously have to question whether the people that bring up effort after a game like this have ever played a serious team sport. Like, do you REALLY believe that the guys just decided they had better things to spend their energy on? That they were only going to work kinda sorta hard? It is not effort. They were trying. He's right, it is laughable, and frankly lazy itself (ironically), to say "we just didn't try hard enough." The players were working hard, they just weren't working effectively (because of the reasons I already outlined).
TheMaehlMan
Junior

Post by TheMaehlMan »

Boom wrote:
Really?

Sense of urgency? If anything, our team was over-zealous throughout the game which resulted in forcing bad shots. This had to do with not having a point guard that could penetrate to open up Colorado's defense when they were playing us tight along the perimeter.

I guess I just didn't see effort being the problem, Colorado diagnosed a weakness and we didn't really have an answer.

Going to miss the Maehl Man
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

One thing I will not question under Altman is the effort put forth by the team. I saw a lack of effort often under Kent, but not under Altman. These guys worked their butts off this season, and kept fighting, and fighting, and fighting. It just so happens that the terrible shooting performance came in such a meaningful game. It happens. Has nothing to do with lack of effort though.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Tray Dub wrote:
Boom wrote:

Really?

I don't mean to get personal, but I seriously have to question whether the people that bring up effort after a game like this have ever played a serious team sport. Like, do you REALLY believe that the guys just decided they had better things to spend their energy on? That they were only going to work kinda sorta hard? It is not effort. They were trying. He's right, it is laughable, and frankly lazy itself (ironically), to say "we just didn't try hard enough." The players were working hard, they just weren't working effectively (because of the reasons I already outlined).
It definitely won't have much depth, especially in the backcourt. I'm just not sure where the scoring is going to come from after losing Joseph, Sim, and Ashalou. Also, having a couple dependable frontcourt guys in Jacob and Nared will be missed. Sure hope that Altman can find a couple more SGs to fix the backcourt depth.
Boom
All Pac-12

Post by Boom »

Tray Dub wrote:
Boom wrote:

Really?

So you don't think it takes more effort to run a good offensive set than to run isolation?

How often did you see our guys set solid screens or take their cuts at full speed or settle on bad shots?

I guess I don't view effort as simply "trying" or not... there is mental aspect as well. I thought this team played uncharacteristically tonight.
Boom
All Pac-12

Post by Boom »

TheMaehlMan wrote:
Boom wrote:
Really?

Sense of urgency? If anything, our team was over-zealous throughout the game which resulted in forcing bad shots. This had to do with not having a point guard that could penetrate to open up Colorado's defense when they were playing us tight along the perimeter.

I guess I just didn't see effort being the problem, Colorado diagnosed a weakness and we didn't really have an answer.
This kind of sounds like an EK excuse... I thought the Ducks played pretty well without a true PG this year and that was due to the execution of Altman's system which relies on ball movement over iso/penetration.