Ducks deserved to lose

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Boom
All Pac-12
GM: Houston Rockets

Re: Ducks deserved to lose

Post by Boom »

duckgrad99 wrote:One thing I will not question under Altman is the effort put forth by the team. I saw a lack of effort often under Kent, but not under Altman. These guys worked their butts off this season, and kept fighting, and fighting, and fighting. It just so happens that the terrible shooting performance came in such a meaningful game. It happens. Has nothing to do with lack of effort though.
A agree for the most part.

Unlike Ernie Kent... there have been very few let down performances under Altman.
uostudent
Senior

Post by uostudent »

Devoe Joseph, an All-Pac-12 first team selection, missed the potential winning 3-pointer from the left sideline at the buzzer for the Ducks.

"The whole play came down on me, and I took a bad shot," he said, after burying his head in his locker. "I should have been more aggressive and driven to the basket."

Singler was supposed to set a pick on the final play.

"Devoe was supposed to get a quick look, and E.J. was supposed to set a screen," Altman said, "but E.J. slid to the basket, didn't set the pick and we didn't get the shot we wanted."

-------
That makes a lot more sense than Joseph just jacking up a fade away three. EJ didn't execute and Joseph choked. Props to Joseph for taking the blame.
“If everybody in this room just want to be real with themselves, this game could have went either way,” he said. “We turned the ball over a lot. We beat ourself. Just be real with yourself right now. We beat ourself.”
-Jameis Winston after Oregon's decisive 59-20 victory over Florida State in the Rose Bowl
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

uostudent wrote:Devoe Joseph, an All-Pac-12 first team selection, missed the potential winning 3-pointer from the left sideline at the buzzer for the Ducks.

"The whole play came down on me, and I took a bad shot," he said, after burying his head in his locker. "I should have been more aggressive and driven to the basket."

Singler was supposed to set a pick on the final play.

"Devoe was supposed to get a quick look, and E.J. was supposed to set a screen," Altman said, "but E.J. slid to the basket, didn't set the pick and we didn't get the shot we wanted."

-------
That makes a lot more sense than Joseph just jacking up a fade away three. EJ didn't execute and Joseph choked. Props to Joseph for taking the blame.
So EJ just... forgot? What?
TheMaehlMan
Junior

Post by TheMaehlMan »

Boom wrote: This kind of sounds like an EK excuse... I thought the Ducks played pretty well without a true PG this year and that was due to the execution of Altman's system which relies on ball movement over iso/penetration.
Don't go and twist words, this is nothing like an EK excuse. Ernie wouldn't have gotten this team this far without a true point guard, but at a certain point a flaw will be exposed in certain games. Of course this team played great most of the year without a true point guard, but tonight it was a clear issue. Altman's system has been able to mitigate that need, but we really struggled in the half court game and had to force bad shots far too often.

Going to miss the Maehl Man
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

if we go 5/22 from deep instead of 4/22, we're all taking about a "gutty performance, a senior-heavy team persevering through a bad shooting night." but since we lost, people question the effort? i agree with an above post, that's lazy. tad boyle is an excellent coach who got the upper hand tonight and took away our comfort zones. colorado played excellent defense and we were cold.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Duck24
Senior

Ducks deserved to lose

Post by Duck24 »

Someone needs to explain to me why Woods got so little PT. He was killing Colorado on the post with that little jump hook. He would hit a few in a row and subsequently get pulled. Olu was beast on the boards but not much on O. I would have liked to see us play with Woods and Olu in at the same time and impose our size on them. Granted it was a bad night to have our worst shooting night in a while, but an iffy rotation with Woods didn't help.
briarduck
Senior

Post by briarduck »

duckgrad99 wrote:One thing I will not question under Altman is the effort put forth by the team. I saw a lack of effort often under Kent, but not under Altman. These guys worked their butts off this season, and kept fighting, and fighting, and fighting. It just so happens that the terrible shooting performance came in such a meaningful game. It happens. Has nothing to do with lack of effort though.
Agreed, what I saw was Colorado playing outstanding defense, every shot (for the most part) was contested. Sometimes you have to give credit to the other team they played well and we shot the ball poorly, it happens.

I look forward, like other have mentioned, to having a true point guard next year but we do lose some other key players so next year will have some serious growing pains.

I am disappointed, who wouldn't be, with last night but I am proud of what the team did this year under DA we over-achieved and I look forward to seeing the team grow as DA shapes the team moving forward but first lets see where we play next...I'm guessing the NIT.
GO DUCKS!! WTD!
ducksvb6
Three Star Recruit

Post by ducksvb6 »

FREE THROWS!!!
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Let me ask you guys this, how many times did you see a Colorado player dive on the floor and gain control of a loose ball? I saw at least three times. I didn't see Oregon get down for a loose ball once, maybe I forgot, but I remember Colorado hustling more than Oregon and putting out more effort. Maybe it's possible that Oregon overlooked Colorad and didn't prepare, when you do that, you lose focus and you naturally don't hustle. Sim had issues. It seemed like he lost confidence and was way too timid on offense. Very disappointing game because even with the poor shooting, I think Oregon is a better team with better players and could've won. Let's hope for an NIT win now.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

OregonFan4Life wrote:Let me ask you guys this, how many times did you see a Colorado player dive on the floor and gain control of a loose ball? I saw at least three times. I didn't see Oregon get down for a loose ball once, maybe I forgot, but I remember Colorado hustling more than Oregon and putting out more effort. Maybe it's possible that Oregon overlooked Colorad and didn't prepare, when you do that, you lose focus and you naturally don't hustle. Sim had issues. It seemed like he lost confidence and was way too timid on offense. Very disappointing game because even with the poor shooting, I think Oregon is a better team with better players and could've won. Let's hope for an NIT win now.
just how little do you think of our players and coaches?
ImageImageImageImageImage
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

OregonFan4Life wrote:Let me ask you guys this, how many times did you see a Colorado player dive on the floor and gain control of a loose ball? I saw at least three times. I didn't see Oregon get down for a loose ball once, maybe I forgot, but I remember Colorado hustling more than Oregon and putting out more effort. Maybe it's possible that Oregon overlooked Colorad and didn't prepare, when you do that, you lose focus and you naturally don't hustle. Sim had issues. It seemed like he lost confidence and was way too timid on offense. Very disappointing game because even with the poor shooting, I think Oregon is a better team with better players and could've won. Let's hope for an NIT win now.
"Diving for loose balls" is a stupid way to judge the entire effort of a team, but I saw Ducks dive plenty of times anyways. If you can't remember a single time, you were not paying attention.
ducksrock
Senior

Post by ducksrock »

TheMaehlMan wrote:This game was a perfect example of why we need a true point guard. The shooters were ineffective because they weren't getting good shots and either had to force a shot or made a turnover trying to make something happen.

The questioning of effort is laughable though. It came down to not having one piece on a night where Colorado played very tight and effective defense. You have spouted off before with a lack of knowledge about basketball, so this doesn't surprise me.
Geez, didnt your parents teach you anything about manors and/or tact? Whoever your last sentence was directed at, it is out of order and classless....I am just sayin.....
TheMaehlMan
Junior

Post by TheMaehlMan »

ducksrock wrote:
Geez, didnt your parents teach you anything about manors and/or tact? Whoever your last sentence was directed at, it is out of order and classless....I am just sayin.....
When a poster decides to question the effort of people who have worked hard all season-long (and in this game), then I have no problem telling a poster how I really feel about them. I don't generally post like this, but it angers me when blanketed and false statements are made about a group who doesn't deserve to be talked about in that way.

Going to miss the Maehl Man
ducksrock
Senior

Post by ducksrock »

TheMaehlMan wrote:
ducksrock wrote:
When a poster decides to question the effort of people who have worked hard all season-long (and in this game), then I have no problem telling a poster how I really feel about them. I don't generally post like this, but it angers me when blanketed and false statements are made about a group who doesn't deserve to be talked about in that way.
I understand your disgruntlements, but....the main purpose of forums is for people to express their opinions....Its fine for you to disagree with others....Just a good idea to temper it all......And btw, I am not correcting you in any manner that I wouldnt be correcting my own kid.....Its all good.....Goooooo Ducks....
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

ducksrock wrote:
TheMaehlMan wrote:
ducksrock wrote:
I understand your disgruntlements, but....the main purpose of forums is for people to express their opinions....Its fine for you to disagree with others....Just a good idea to temper it all......And btw, I am not correcting you in any manner that I wouldnt be correcting my own kid.....Its all good.....Goooooo Ducks....
You sure you should be talking to other posters like they're ill-behaving children?