Well

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

SuperDuck
Senior

Re: Well

Post by SuperDuck »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:I don't see why he would leave for Nebraska. Pretty much a step down in every sense. And would also be a bit of a dick move. Crazier things have happened though. I'd definitely be hugely dissapointed. I love the guy.
Actually, if Nebraska is home to his family and his wife hates Eugene, I'd say he has the right to do what makes his family happy. That's more important than any job. He tried it here for two years and maybe he's decided that it's just not for him.

Also, he may feel like he can compete at Nebraska now that they're in the Big-10. Who knows?

Honestly, I hope that he doesn't leave, but if he does, I think the answer is sitting on the bench at St. John's. In my opinion, Mike Dunlap could step right in and not miss a beat.

He was the heir apparent at Arizona before they decided to go after a bigger name.

He was a finalist for the job at Colorado two years ago.

Ernie Kent fired one of his long time assistants to hire Dunlap to the Oregon staff (to try and save his job). By the way, that was a two year contract at $1 million per year, if I'm not mistaken. That's an enormous contract for an assistant.

Steve Lavin snatched him up immediately when he went to St. John's.

He won two NCAA Division Two Championships at Metro State.

Worked under George Raveling at USC.

Worked for George Karl in Denver for two years.

More....

Here's his complete Bio.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/ua/arti ... io-CR.html

I was just watching a St. John's game a couple days ago and the announcers were raving about what a fantastic coach Dunlap is and how it's unbelievable that he hasn't been given a shot at a head coaching job yet, especially with his resume.

Like I said, I hope that Altman doesn't leave, but if he does, I'd grab Dunlap at a bargain price for a three year contract and let him prove himself. He's won BIG everywhere he's been a head coach and I think he'd be a perfect fit at Oregon.

Oh, something else I forgot to mention. Since Dunlap has already coached at Arizona, Oregon, USC and Metro State (Denver), do you think he might be just a tad bit familiar with the Pac-12 recruiting hotbeds?

To me this a no brainer.

My two bits.
John 3:36
uostudent
Senior

Post by uostudent »

SuperDuck wrote:
dthomas=ddixon wrote:I don't see why he would leave for Nebraska. Pretty much a step down in every sense. And would also be a bit of a dick move. Crazier things have happened though. I'd definitely be hugely dissapointed. I love the guy.
Actually, if Nebraska is home to his family and his wife hates Eugene, I'd say he has the right to do what makes his family happy. That's more important than any job. He tried it here for two years and maybe he's decided that it's just not for him.

Also, he may feel like he can compete at Nebraska now that they're in the Big-10. Who knows?

Honestly, I hope that he doesn't leave, but if he does, I think the answer is sitting on the bench at St. John's. In my opinion, Mike Dunlap could step right in and not miss a beat.

He was the heir apparent at Arizona before they decided to go after a bigger name.

He was a finalist for the job at Colorado two years ago.

Ernie Kent fired one of his long time assistants to hire Dunlap to the Oregon staff (to try and save his job). By the way, that was a two year contract at $1 million per year, if I'm not mistaken. That's an enormous contract for an assistant.

Steve Lavin snatched him up immediately when he went to St. John's.

He won two NCAA Division Two Championships at Metro State.

Worked under George Raveling at USC.

Worked for George Karl in Denver for two years.

More....

Here's his complete Bio.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/ua/arti ... io-CR.html

I was just watching a St. John's game a couple days ago and the announcers were raving about what a fantastic coach Dunlap is and how it's unbelievable that he hasn't been given a shot at a head coaching job yet, especially with his resume.

Like I said, I hope that Altman doesn't leave, but if he does, I'd grab Dunlap at a bargain price for a three year contract and let him prove himself. He's won BIG everywhere he's been a head coach and I think he'd be a perfect fit at Oregon.

Oh, something else I forgot to mention. Since Dunlap has already coached at Arizona, Oregon, USC and Metro State (Denver), do you think he might be just a tad bit familiar with the Pac-12 recruiting hotbeds?

To me this a no brainer.

My two bits.
Don't think Altman leaves.

Haven't heard anything about Altman's wife "hating" Eugene. They love Omaha because they lived there for almost 20 years. Altman's family didn't move to Eugene for like 8 months. They bought a house and his daughter is a student at UO.

Not even worth discussing potential replacements, but Dunlap would be a disaster. He did nothing as an assistant at Oregon and St. John's was horrible this year.
“If everybody in this room just want to be real with themselves, this game could have went either way,” he said. “We turned the ball over a lot. We beat ourself. Just be real with yourself right now. We beat ourself.”
-Jameis Winston after Oregon's decisive 59-20 victory over Florida State in the Rose Bowl
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

uostudent wrote: Not even worth discussing potential replacements, but Dunlap would be a disaster. He did nothing as an assistant at Oregon and St. John's was horrible this year.
He was an "assistant", therefore Ernie Kent and Steve Lavin called the shots. You can't just say that "Dunlap would be a disaster" based on that.

There are a LOT of coaches that he's worked for in the past and others that would have a much different opinion of his head coaching qualifications.
TheMaehlMan
Junior

Post by TheMaehlMan »

Dunlap would be kind of like the hiring of Doba for WASU football, he's a career assistant in major division 1 for a reason. I think he's a good X's and O's guy, but when someone with that resume gets passed over enough times it makes me wonder why...

Also, Matt Prehm and a different poster on DuckTerritory both said that they heard the opposite with regards to Altman's wife and her opinion of Eugene. The Altmans probably have fond memories of Omaha and Nebraska, but they have also enjoyed their time in Eugene thus far.

Going to miss the Maehl Man
uostudent
Senior

Post by uostudent »

SuperDuck wrote:
uostudent wrote: Not even worth discussing potential replacements, but Dunlap would be a disaster. He did nothing as an assistant at Oregon and St. John's was horrible this year.
He was an "assistant", therefore Ernie Kent and Steve Lavin called the shots. You can't just say that "Dunlap would be a disaster" based on that.

There are a LOT of coaches that he's worked for in the past and others that would have a much different opinion of his head coaching qualifications.
I believe Dunlap coached St. John's this season, while Lavin was undergoing cancer treatment. The guy may be a good x's and o's coach, but he never came across as a guy who is capable of commanding the respect of his players. Dunlap has been interviewed for quite a few D1 head coaching positions and has yet to be chosen for a job. That should tell you something. The guy obviously doesn't interview well. What makes you think that he'd be able to recruit?
TheMaehlMan wrote:Also, Matt Prehm and a different poster on DuckTerritory both said that they heard the opposite with regards to Altman's wife and her opinion of Eugene. The Altmans probably have fond memories of Omaha and Nebraska, but they have also enjoyed their time in Eugene thus far.
Don't know about Altman's wife, but I've heard that Dana likes Eugene. I've also heard that his daughter loves UO.
“If everybody in this room just want to be real with themselves, this game could have went either way,” he said. “We turned the ball over a lot. We beat ourself. Just be real with yourself right now. We beat ourself.”
-Jameis Winston after Oregon's decisive 59-20 victory over Florida State in the Rose Bowl
Boom
All Pac-12
GM: Houston Rockets

Post by Boom »

It would be pretty surprising if he left, but if he does... I think the position would be easier to fill than it was after the Kent firing.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

uostudent wrote: I believe Dunlap coached St. John's this season, while Lavin was undergoing cancer treatment. The guy may be a good x's and o's coach, but he never came across as a guy who is capable of commanding the respect of his players.

I'm not sure what you're basing this on? When it's only a temporary situation and it's someone elses scheme, not all your players, not YOUR program, etc, that's not a very fair assessment of his abilities. Right? It would be much different if he'd brought in players to run his OWN system and he was able to call all of the shots (pardon the pun) rather than just "hold down the fort" for Lavin.

Also, unless I'm mistaken, Lavin was pretty laid back with his players during his time at UCLA. Was Dunlap somehow expected to step in and become an authoritarian?
uostudent wrote:Dunlap has been interviewed for quite a few D1 head coaching positions and has yet to be chosen for a job. That should tell you something. The guy obviously doesn't interview well.

As I said, he was supposed to be the "heir apparent" to Lute Olson, but he turned down the job when he found out it was only going to be temporary. That's when they gave it to Kevin O'Neil. Then when Lute came back he and O'Neil butted heads, O'Neil was let go, but then Lute couldn't continue because of his health. Dunlap was gone by then, so they went on a national search for a "name" coach and brought in Sean Miller. In other words, Lute endorsed Dunlap.

Also, he was a finalist for the Colorado job. You don't become a finalist by not interviewing well. Yes, he did interview for the Oregon job, but the Ducks had BIG fish in mind at that time and he wasn't given serious consideration.
uostudent wrote:What makes you think that he'd be able to recruit?
Uh, he worked for Lute Olsen, George Raveling, etc and knows the major recruiting hubs in Arizona, L.A. and the Denver area. Also, the guy would hire good assistants as well. He's been around long enough to know a few quality coaches that are good recruiters.

This is just my opinion, but I think that if he lands in the right situation, Mike Dunlap will be a rising star in no time. What I mean by "right situation" is not taking a position that would be a complete rebuilding job, a sucky fan base, poor location, football school, etc, etc, etc.

Time will tell.
Braveheart
Sophomore

Post by Braveheart »

If Altman does leave, you guys can feel free to have KO (....please).
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Braveheart wrote:If Altman does leave, you guys can feel free to have KO (....please).
You can keep him.
TheMaehlMan
Junior

Post by TheMaehlMan »

Altman is definitely staying, so I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

Going to miss the Maehl Man
R bar Duckaholic
Two Star Recruit

Post by R bar Duckaholic »

I'm actually in Lincoln right now, And Altman's name is definitely being tossed around. From the fans I've spoken too however, I get the feeling they are hoping Shaka gets strong consideration. I visited the facilities yesterday and they are pretty sweet (basketball arena set to open next year). Lincoln however, and the whole state for that matter has NOTHING on Eugene.... Even if you dislike our quirky culture ( i dont-born and raised in south Eugene and will be with
All my patchouli smellin friends at the country fair this summer). Personally I don't think he goes, as we are just scratching the surface of our potential, but the pull of his family and the big 10 could prove otherwise.
Elduderino
Senior

Post by Elduderino »

SuperDuck wrote:As I said, he was supposed to be the "heir apparent" to Lute Olson, but he turned down the job when he found out it was only going to be temporary.
Maybe it's the way I think of "heir apparent," but a "temporary heir apparent" seems somewhat incongruous.
AKA: CAgrown
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Basically it comes down to...

Who wears the pants?

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13