Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

dthomas=ddixon

Ducks offer Chris Obekpa

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

uostudent
Senior

Re: Ducks offer Chris Obekpa

Post by uostudent »

Don't know much about Obekpa - I'll do a little more research tomorrow. Smart that Altman is targeting a center, since Woods only has 1 year of eligibility left and Kuemper is kind of question mark at this point. Sounds like Obekpa could potentially play PF too.

Oregon also offered Keon Pledger. Pledger is a legit talent. A 6'3 combo guard who is a really well rounded player. Think Jerryd Bayless at Arizona or Juan Dixon at Maryland. Supposedly he has offers from Arizona, Baylor, Marquette, Oklahoma, Oregon, St. John's, USC. This kid really likes Oregon btw. I'd even go as far as to say that UO is probably his favorite.

The kid does have some baggage though. He didn't qualify academically out of high school and was then kicked out/dropped out of Southern Idaho CC (a juco powerhouse), most likely due to academics.

I hope Pledger has matured because he could become a real impact player at D1 school. Also hope that Altman and his coaching staff has done their homework on him. Don't want another Jabari Brown situation.
“If everybody in this room just want to be real with themselves, this game could have went either way,” he said. “We turned the ball over a lot. We beat ourself. Just be real with yourself right now. We beat ourself.”
-Jameis Winston after Oregon's decisive 59-20 victory over Florida State in the Rose Bowl
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

uostudent wrote:Don't know much about Obekpa - I'll do a little more research tomorrow. Smart that Altman is targeting a center, since Woods only has 1 year of eligibility left and Kuemper is kind of question mark at this point. Sounds like Obekpa could potentially play PF too.

Oregon also offered Keon Pledger. Pledger is a legit talent. A 6'3 combo guard who is a really well rounded player. Think Jerryd Bayless at Arizona or Juan Dixon at Maryland. Supposedly he has offers from Arizona, Baylor, Marquette, Oklahoma, Oregon, St. John's, USC. This kid really likes Oregon btw. I'd even go as far as to say that UO is probably his favorite.

The kid does have some baggage though. He didn't qualify academically out of high school and was then kicked out/dropped out of Southern Idaho CC (a juco powerhouse), most likely due to academics.

I hope Pledger has matured because he could become a real impact player at D1 school. Also hope that Altman and his coaching staff has done their homework on him. Don't want another Jabari Brown situation.
Pledger's past history and some stuff on his Twitter account certainly make you think twice about them even offering. As long as Altman does his homework and Pledger has indeed matured, then I'm all for him coming up here. As far as other JC SGs, if they're going after Pledger, they must not be in it for Devon Branch any more.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

Thanks for the info on Pledger. Hopefully the kid has gotten his act together, especially if we're his leader & have a good chance with him.

Obekpa is kind of your typical Nigerian center, super long & athletic which leads to him being a natural shot blocking machine. He's a great post defender & has the motor to put up big shot blocking numbers. He's being recruited by a bunch of big east schools pretty heavily, Uconn, Providence, StJs, Cincy, DePaul. And he's a pretty natural fit at a place like UConn, they always have great post defenders. I don't have any idea where he's at as far as his list of schools though. Seems like we're coming in a little late, all these schools have been after him for awhile. And New York isn't exactly close to Oregon. Would be a fantastic get though.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Pledger is also Ed Dickson's cousin and is only planning on visiting UO. Says Ed raves about Eugene, and said it would be the perfect place for him. I'm guessing Ed will make sure his cousin keeps his nose clean if he comes to Eugene, even from the other side of the country.

From what I can find he was named Foothill Conference MVP (10-11) last year after avg 18.5 a game, but RS this year to get his academics in order so he can get into a D1 school. Also as a SR in HS he avg 27 a game for Lynwood HS.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

I love Ed. He seems to have really enjoyed his time here and even played some DE for us.
uostudent
Senior

Post by uostudent »

buckmarkduck wrote:Pledger is also Ed Dickson's cousin and is only planning on visiting UO. Says Ed raves about Eugene, and said it would be the perfect place for him. I'm guessing Ed will make sure his cousin keeps his nose clean if he comes to Eugene, even from the other side of the country.

From what I can find he was named Foothill Conference MVP (10-11) last year after avg 18.5 a game, but RS this year to get his academics in order so he can get into a D1 school. Also as a SR in HS he avg 27 a game for Lynwood HS.
I knew Ed at UO - great guy. Definitely think that Pledger will commit if he can qualify. According to another article I read, he definitely has committable offers from USC and Oregon. Also read about him redshirting to focus on his academics.

Again, I really hope that Altman is doing his homework here. I wonder if he'll consider taking two SG's in this class. Losing Jabari Brown was a pretty big blow.
“If everybody in this room just want to be real with themselves, this game could have went either way,” he said. “We turned the ball over a lot. We beat ourself. Just be real with yourself right now. We beat ourself.”
-Jameis Winston after Oregon's decisive 59-20 victory over Florida State in the Rose Bowl
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

uostudent wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:Pledger is also Ed Dickson's cousin and is only planning on visiting UO. Says Ed raves about Eugene, and said it would be the perfect place for him. I'm guessing Ed will make sure his cousin keeps his nose clean if he comes to Eugene, even from the other side of the country.

I knew Ed at UO - great guy. Definitely think that Pledger will commit if he can qualify. According to another article I read, he definitely has committable offers from USC and Oregon. Also read about him redshirting to focus on his academics.

Again, I really hope that Altman is doing his homework here. I wonder if he'll consider taking two SG's in this class. Losing Jabari Brown was a pretty big blow.
Having 2 JC guys who are separated by a year would help but I could really see us only getting one since Branch has a lot of options and looks to be staying back east.
TheMaehlMan
Junior

Post by TheMaehlMan »

greenyellow wrote: Having 2 JC guys who are separated by a year would help but I could really see us only getting one since Branch has a lot of options and looks to be staying back east.
Has there been new information about Branch recently? Last time I heard anything about him, I heard his recruitment was going to come down to Oregon and Texas A & M, and it was pretty close between the two schools.

I'd really like to get Branch, he could play a big role right from the beginning.

Going to miss the Maehl Man
Boom
All Pac-12
GM: Houston Rockets

Post by Boom »

uostudent wrote:

As was Bruce Barron who would have likely been combo guard for us.

By my count we only have nine scholarship players slated for next season. Four of them will be seniors.

I think Altman is going to try to fill up this class with the best four players available to him. Two guards and two combo forwards would probably be ideal.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

if we use all of our available scholarships, i've got to agree with boom. BPA all the way.
ImageImageImageImageImage
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Boom wrote:
uostudent wrote:

As was Bruce Barron who would have likely been combo guard for us.

By my count we only have nine scholarship players slated for next season. Four of them will be seniors.

I think Altman is going to try to fill up this class with the best four players available to him. Two guards and two combo forwards would probably be ideal.
I think that one scholarship may be given to Chris Larson, the walk-on JC center who redshirted this past season. If it isn't, then I still only see them maybe getting 3 players this spring.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

6 big east offers, seems unlikely a NY kid would come out to Eugene.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

greenyellow wrote:
uostudent wrote:Don't know much about Obekpa - I'll do a little more research tomorrow. Smart that Altman is targeting a center, since Woods only has 1 year of eligibility left and Kuemper is kind of question mark at this point. Sounds like Obekpa could potentially play PF too.

Pledger's past history and some stuff on his Twitter account certainly make you think twice about them even offering. As long as Altman does his homework and Pledger has indeed matured, then I'm all for him coming up here. As far as other JC SGs, if they're going after Pledger, they must not be in it for Devon Branch any more.
Yeah....We all know what kids do in college, but this is probably not the pictures you want to post on your twitter when you are looking for a DI scholly. As Keyshawn Johnson would say.....Commmm'on man!!!
http://twitpic.com/622t4j
http://twitpic.com/5qqdcr
Kid sounds like a player, though.
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

northbeachsf wrote:
greenyellow wrote:

Yeah....We all know what kids do in college, but this is probably not the pictures you want to post on your twitter when you are looking for a DI scholly. As Keyshawn Johnson would say.....Commmm'on man!!!
http://twitpic.com/622t4j
http://twitpic.com/5qqdcr
Kid sounds like a player, though.
Pretty stupid since it appears those pictures were posted just last summer. Not sure this is the influence the Ducks need on a fairly young team next year.