The worst game EVER played in any sport happened here in EUG

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

USUaggieDuck
Five Star Recruit

The worst game EVER played in any sport happened here in EUG

Post by USUaggieDuck »

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highschoo ... 14113.html

girl's high school basketball. final score 16-7. the losing team held the ball for literally the entire 2nd quarter, except for the last 10 seconds. There were zero shots taken in the entire second quarter.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Re: The worst game EVER played in any sport happened here in

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Yuck.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

i was there.

it's getting notoriety because it was the state final, but this crap happens all the time in oregon high school basketball because there's no shot clock.
ImageImageImageImageImage
chapelhillduck
Senior

Post by chapelhillduck »

why don't they just foul?
USUaggieDuck
Five Star Recruit

Post by USUaggieDuck »

chapelhillduck wrote:why don't they just foul?
They can just keep holding it still and get free points at the line

Posted from my Android
chapelhillduck
Senior

Post by chapelhillduck »

USUaggieDuck wrote:

Posted from my Android
They aren't going to make all the free throws, and you get the ball back with plenty of time...look what you've done to me football offseason, I'm debating girls high school basketball tactics
USUaggieDuck
Five Star Recruit

Post by USUaggieDuck »

chapelhillduck wrote:
USUaggieDuck wrote:

Posted from my Android
They aren't going to make all the free throws, and you get the ball back with plenty of time...look what you've done to me football offseason, I'm debating girls high school basketball tactics
Well it takes 7 fouls or whatever it is for HS just to get them to the line. Then they take free throws. Even if they only make 1, if you don't score, they have a free point and can do it all again. Just to get them into the 1-1 penalty each half, it would mean your starting five have 3 fouls each. Add one foul for each time you foul after that too though. You would essentially get around 8 extra possessions for the entire game and foul out most of your team in the process and letting them take 16 free throws instead of field goals. If they made half, they would have scored more than they did in this game (and you could assume they would make more than half).
chapelhillduck
Senior

Post by chapelhillduck »

USUaggieDuck wrote:
chapelhillduck wrote:
USUaggieDuck wrote:

Posted from my Android
Well it takes 7 fouls or whatever it is for HS just to get them to the line. Then they take free throws. Even if they only make 1, if you don't score, they have a free point and can do it all again. Just to get them into the 1-1 penalty each half, it would mean your starting five have 3 fouls each. Add one foul for each time you foul after that too though. You would essentially get around 8 extra possessions for the entire game and foul out most of your team in the process and letting them take 16 free throws instead of field goals. If they made half, they would have scored more than they did in this game (and you could assume they would make more than half).
I'll bite...that's why you have the other 7 girls on the team (to foul). There's no such thing as foul trouble because the "holding team" isn't trying to score. Like I said, I'll take my chance at 2 or 3 points vs. a bunch of teenage girls shooting free throws. Granted, the "non-holding" team obviously couldn't score when they got the ball but that's an offense problem.
pudgejeff
Senior
GM: Sacramento Kings GM

Post by pudgejeff »

The "holding" team was the losing team so why would the "non-holding" team foul? They didn't need the ball back as they were leading.
USUaggieDuck
Five Star Recruit

Post by USUaggieDuck »

chapelhillduck wrote:
USUaggieDuck wrote:
chapelhillduck wrote:
USUaggieDuck wrote:

Posted from my Android
I'll bite...that's why you have the other 7 girls on the team (to foul). There's no such thing as foul trouble because the "holding team" isn't trying to score. Like I said, I'll take my chance at 2 or 3 points vs. a bunch of teenage girls shooting free throws. Granted, the "non-holding" team obviously couldn't score when they got the ball but that's an offense problem.

the non-holding team COULD score. they won. they were the better team all season. So why give them the worse team (the holding team) free points?
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

The Willamette coach was basically telling his team your not good enough.
They should have gone right at Springfield. Get the big girl in foul trouble.
Springfield didn't shoot the ball well so who knows. Fouling on purpose
would not have worked. High school needs to put in a shot clock. Its the only
way to stop that kind of useless strategy. If i would have gone and i almost did
as i went to Springfield, i would have left. Cant watch that kind of game.
Someone i know asked me if it would have worked and Willamette wins is
the coach a great coach? I still wouldn't give the guy credit. Just not basketball to
me. Had a sophmore coach that wouldn't let us shoot until the ball had been
passed around 5 times. Even on fastbreaks would yell at us for shooting early.
end of year most of us no longer played for him.
chapelhillduck
Senior

Post by chapelhillduck »

I was thinking that the team that won just held it...my bad
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

The coach of Willamette is a former Beaver QB so he knows a thing or two about not being able to compete with the best.
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

Holding the ball strategy "Just not basketball to me."

That excerpt from an earlier post in this thread really stuck out to me, and is particularly relevant now that the memories of Dick Harter are of course being expressed.

I recall back in 1974, shortly after the Bruins had been swept in the Willamette Valley (wasn't "Ambushed on the Oregon Trail" on the cover of the subsequent SI, with a photo of Gerald Willett coming down with a rebound?), that UCLA alum Kareem Abdul-Jabbar was being interviewed before a televised NBA game involving his Bucks (I think the year before he was traded to the Lakers). He was being asked about what had just happened to his alum, and part of his reply was that he didn't think the holding-the-ball strategy -- which the Ducks definitely used in that game (possibly OSU as well in their 61-57 victory over the Bruins), though the final was 56-51 -- "was really playing basketball." But it worked sometimes in those pre-shot clock days. I recall that even Dean Smith's great North Carolina teams would use that tactic if they had much of a lead at all late in a game, and it was lethal.

All that said, yes, let's get a shot clock in girl's basketball. Wouldn't be a bit surprised, given that this nonsense happened in the highest profile girls' basketball game of the year, that it happens.
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

green i was at the game with UCLA here. Game just wasn't played at
today's speed. Offenses were more deliberate. Even the 4 corners Dean
smith to me didn't count as basketball. But coaches do what they think
will help them win i guess.