If you want an ex-Kentucky coach...

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

TTownDuck
One Star Recruit

If you want an ex-Kentucky coach...

Post by TTownDuck »

... ESPN radio is saying Billy Gillespie is getting the axe after two years at Kentucky.

Before that man leaves the building in Lexington, grab Phil Knight, his checkbook, and a private jet and get the hell over there. I'd urinate all over myself if Oregon could land him.

And I'll leave you with that image.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Re: If you want an ex-Kentucky coach...

Post by buckmarkduck »

I brought him up on other Oregon boards and no one seemed to care. Two big positives about him, besides the fact he is an excellent coach. 1-He has taken two teams who the year before only won 7 games and 8 games and lead them both to 20+ wins the very next year. 2-No buyout needed!!!
Boom
All Pac-12
GM: Houston Rockets

Post by Boom »

That guy can coach! I was really impressed with his A&M teams. That's crazy that there only giving him 2 years.
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

Hmmmm, three different head coaching jobs in seven years. A couple of reprimands from the NCAA for pushing the envelope on recruiting.

Sort of sounds like the basketball equivalent of Rick Neuheisel.
TTownDuck
One Star Recruit

Post by TTownDuck »

... no.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

If that's what you think, you may want to google him. In 7 years as a coach he took two programs who had been horrible the years before and turned them into 20 game winners. First at UTEP then at Texas A&M, who had not even been ranked in the top 25 in over 25yrs and all he did was in his very first year there he won 22 games, a year after they only won 8 games. Then the next 2 years he took them to the NCAA and got them ranked as high as #7.

He has also been a 3 time conference coach of the year. I don't pretend to know who UO wants as coach but this is a Coach who I would be happy to have at UO.
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

buckmarkduck wrote:If that's what you think, you may want to google him. In 7 years as a coach he took two programs who had been horrible the years before and turned them into 20 game winners. First at UTEP then at Texas A&M, who had not even been ranked in the top 25 in over 25yrs and all he did was in his very first year there he won 22 games, a year after they only won 8 games. Then the next 2 years he took them to the NCAA and got them ranked as high as #7.

He has also been a 3 time conference coach of the year. I don't pretend to know who UO wants as coach but this is a Coach who I would be happy to have at UO.
Kentucky also failed to qualify for the Dance this year despite a NBA potential lottery pick and a second rounder on his roster. If fans point to Oregon being 'one and done' last year as proof that Ernie should be fired what does it say about Billy Gillespie?

Rumors have him alienating major boosters and having lots of off court baggage. Former KU players say he is in way over his head. http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/9296 ... t-Kentucky

And for pure entertainment check how he handles the media. More rumors say he made a pass at the reporter and was turned down. http://www.themarchtomadness.com/2009/0 ... nnine.html

No, I don't want him.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

maxduck wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:If that's what you think, you may want to google him. In 7 years as a coach he took two programs who had been horrible the years before and turned them into 20 game winners. First at UTEP then at Texas A&M, who had not even been ranked in the top 25 in over 25yrs and all he did was in his very first year there he won 22 games, a year after they only won 8 games. Then the next 2 years he took them to the NCAA and got them ranked as high as #7.

Kentucky also failed to qualify for the Dance this year despite a NBA potential lottery pick and a second rounder on his roster. If fans point to Oregon being 'one and done' last year as proof that Ernie should be fired what does it say about Billy Gillespie?

Rumors have him alienating major boosters and having lots of off court baggage. Former KU players say he is in way over his head. http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/9296 ... t-Kentucky

And for pure entertainment check how he handles the media. More rumors say he made a pass at the reporter and was turned down. http://www.themarchtomadness.com/2009/0 ... nnine.html

No, I don't want him.
Rumors Rule!!!
TTownDuck
One Star Recruit

Post by TTownDuck »

Gillespie didn't go from one of the brightest minds and best coaches in college basketball to a trainwreck in two years. Coaching at placed like Kentucky can be brutal.

This year, Kentucky had Jodie Meeks, who is AWESOME, and a pretty good inside presence inside with Patrick Patterson. Picture Arizona, only without Nick Wise. Where would Arizona be? Not in the Tournament. Kentucky was a 2-man team with a lot of filler. Much like Arizona, only even less so. Still, the man won 22 games.

Gillespie would be the greatest catch of all for Kilkenny. It's not going to happen, because he'll get picked up by another big school right away, but he blows the rest of the field away without debate.
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

TTownDuck wrote:Gillespie didn't go from one of the brightest minds and best coaches in college basketball to a trainwreck in two years. Coaching at placed like Kentucky can be brutal.

This year, Kentucky had Jodie Meeks, who is AWESOME, and a pretty good inside presence inside with Patrick Patterson. Picture Arizona, only without Nick Wise. Where would Arizona be? Not in the Tournament. Kentucky was a 2-man team with a lot of filler. Much like Arizona, only even less so. Still, the man won 22 games.

Gillespie would be the greatest catch of all for Kilkenny. It's not going to happen, because he'll get picked up by another big school right away, but he blows the rest of the field away without debate.
Quick check on the Kentucky roster for this year. 1 five star and 6 4 star players according to Scout. Looks like a bit more than filler to me.
dd10snoop28
Senior
GM: New Jersey Nets GM

Post by dd10snoop28 »

Gillispie sucks.

I wouldn't be surprised if some recruits left if we hired him.
fpsduck
Senior

Post by fpsduck »

Pass.
Boom
All Pac-12

Post by Boom »

dd10snoop28 wrote:Gillispie sucks.

I wouldn't be surprised if some recruits left if we hired him.
If you think Gillispie sucks as a coach then you don't know basketball.

I think recruits would leave because we fired Kent and not because we hired Gillispie
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

Just an FYI, Gillispie was fired today.
Boom
All Pac-12

Post by Boom »

yup, think he's on Arizona's short list?