Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Pac-12 North Picks from a Husky

Post by UOducksTK1 »

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/p ... cation=rss

" It's possible the Ducks and their Star Wars system are so far ahead of the curve that as long as they plug a good, savvy athlete into that spot - one that doesn't have to be a great passer - they're all right."

C'mon now, Darron Thomas was 3rd in passing yards and 2nd in TDs in the Pac-12 in 2010. Even if you don't like him, the statistics don't lie.

Anyway, honestly not too bad of predictions. Stanford is the tough one to guess on.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Re: Pac-12 North Picks from a Husky

Post by lukeyrid13 »

UOducksTK1 wrote:http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/p ... cation=rss

" It's possible the Ducks and their Star Wars system are so far ahead of the curve that as long as they plug a good, savvy athlete into that spot - one that doesn't have to be a great passer - they're all right."

Chris Harper disagrees
ncduck
Senior

Post by ncduck »

Key word - Savvy.
goducks
Freshman

Post by goducks »

1. Oregon. I'll take the bait and believe Oregon can do it again with an unproven quarterback, mostly because the defense might be the Ducks' best ever. But there are reasons for pause, not only the quarterback, but questionmarks at receiver, and LaMichael James is no longer around. (De'Anthony Thomas is, however.)

You have to give the guy credit for his comment about the defense, too. But, he should have mentioned Barner as well as DAT!

Notice the plane that we flew on?
Bud Lee
All Pac-12

Post by Bud Lee »

C'mon now, Darron Thomas was 3rd in passing yards and 2nd in TDs in the Pac-12 in 2010. Even if you don't like him, the statistics don't lie.
And yet he went undrafted….Statistics may not lie but the will make a liar out of people. Thomas benefited from the brilliant offensive scheme that is the Duck’s offense. I doubt he would of been able to put up those numbers in a pro style offense. Just my opinion. Great kid IMO and I wish him the best.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Bud Lee wrote:
And yet he went undrafted….Statistics may not lie but the will make a liar out of people. Thomas benefited from the brilliant offensive scheme that is the Duck’s offense. I doubt he would of been able to put up those numbers in a pro style offense. Just my opinion. Great kid IMO and I wish him the best.
So is Kellen Moore a bad passer? Is Case K a bad passer?

His NFL stock and his college passing have no correlation with each other when disputing what the writer stated.

Bud Lee
All Pac-12

Post by Bud Lee »

UOducksTK1 wrote:So is Kellen Moore a bad passer? Is Case K a bad passer?
I would actually say that they are not bad…BUT….I don’t think Moore is “great” and I’m not sure what to think about Case. Both of those guys shredded lack luster D’s. Their stats are a little blown because of it.
His NFL stock and his college passing have no correlation with each other when disputing what the writer stated
Hmm…I see what you are saying…I just don’t think DT could be marked as a “great passer” on any level. But thats just me.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Bud Lee wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:So is Kellen Moore a bad passer? Is Case K a bad passer?
I would actually say that they are not bad…BUT….I don’t think Moore is “great” and I’m not sure what to think about Case. Both of those guys shredded lack luster D’s. Their stats are a little blown because of it.
His NFL stock and his college passing have no correlation with each other when disputing what the writer stated
Hmm…I see what you are saying…I just don’t think DT could be marked as a “great passer” on any level. But thats just me.
Right, but even Jason White went undrafted and he had a good passing career at Oklahoma. I guess it comes down to what makes them a good passer? Both were Heisman trophy candidates, both had amazing passing stats, I mean as far as I'm concerned, both were exceptional passers at the collegiate level. I agree, Kellen has a weak arm, but you cannot deny his stats. Even if he did play at Boise...

Bud, look who is writing the article. The bad purple and gold... He is a man who worshiped Jake Locker and his mother every day of his life for 4 years. And for him to take a shot at DT being a bad passer is humorous I guess to me. But yes, DT is not the best passer, but if we don't use statistics to determine and compare players in college, what should we use? I'm honestly curious to know how you'd assess a good passer. Generally, statistics followed by accolades / winning is what I would go by.

Bud Lee
All Pac-12

Post by Bud Lee »

He is a man who worshiped Jake Locker and his mother every day of his life for 4 years. And for him to take a shot at DT being a bad passer is humorous I guess to me.
Ah…I see your original frustration now. I was a big Locker fan too by the way, but I felt he didn’t develop like I thought he would his last season with the Huskies.
I'm honestly curious to know how you'd assess a good passer.
To me a great passer has a strong arm, great pocket presence, is accurate and can make the big throws under pressure. So in assessing them I guess I tend to look at how they preform against quality opponents. I don’t know…LSU hasn’t had a “great passer” in over a decade so perhaps I’m not the one that should be assessing QB’s around here. :lol:
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Bud Lee wrote:
He is a man who worshiped Jake Locker and his mother every day of his life for 4 years. And for him to take a shot at DT being a bad passer is humorous I guess to me.
Ah…I see your original frustration now. I was a big Locker fan too by the way, but I felt he didn’t develop like I thought he would his last season with the Huskies.
I'm honestly curious to know how you'd assess a good passer.
To me a great passer has a strong arm, great pocket presence, is accurate and can make the big throws under pressure. So in assessing them I guess I tend to look at how they preform against quality opponents. I don’t know…LSU hasn’t had a “great passer” in over a decade so perhaps I’m not the one that should be assessing QB’s around here. :lol:
Fair enough, so I guess the NFL stock of a collegiate QB would probably be a better metric? I suppose I'm slightly defensive too because people seem to rip DT apart, yet he was a very serviceable Oregon QB.

I think seeing MM or BB this year will help us get a clearer picture too of DT's contributions.

Bud Lee
All Pac-12

Post by Bud Lee »

I think seeing MM or BB this year will help us get a clearer picture too of DT's contributions.
To be honest with you the fact that BB came in and ran the offense so efficiently while DT was hurt is one reason why I don’t appreciate Thomas’ contributions as much as you and other some of the other Duck fans do.

Has Chip said who is winning the QB spot out of BB and MM?
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Bud Lee wrote:
To be honest with you the fact that BB came in and ran the offense so efficiently while DT was hurt is one reason why I don’t appreciate Thomas’ contributions as much as you and other some of the other Duck fans do.

I guess my argument would be that he started against Colorado and completed 50% of his passes. Colorado is the worst Pac-12 team I've seen in a while (final score: 45-2). Then he did solid against Wazzu, but I credit DaT for pulling us away from that game. Assuming either way, IMO, is premature at this point.

Team Bennett.. Not actually, Chip hasn't said anything, and he probably won't until the last second.

UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
Bud Lee wrote:

I guess my argument would be that he started against Colorado and completed 50% of his passes. Colorado is the worst Pac-12 team I've seen in a while (final score: 45-2). Then he did solid against Wazzu, but I credit DaT for pulling us away from that game. Assuming either way, IMO, is premature at this point.

Team Bennett.. Not actually, Chip hasn't said anything, and he probably won't until the last second.
But TK, you fail to list the most obvious game that reflects the two; ASU. We were losing to ASU until Bennett came in. He was clearly moving the ball more effectively than Thomas and that was as close to a comparison and you can have. Big game, big win by Bennett.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

Bennett mainly did that with his legs though. Which is a credit to Bennett's running and discredit to Thomas'
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

UofDuck wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:
Bud Lee wrote:

But TK, you fail to list the most obvious game that reflects the two; ASU. We were losing to ASU until Bennett came in. He was clearly moving the ball more effectively than Thomas and that was as close to a comparison and you can have. Big game, big win by Bennett.
Like lukey said, 22 passing yards against ASU. Darron threw 2 TD passes in the first half, then BB came in and our run game (including BB) picked it up.