Brett Kingma transferring?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

uostudent
Senior

Brett Kingma transferring?

Post by uostudent »

247 has a post up that a player is leaving the basketball program.

According to Jeff Goodman:

Going: Brendan Lane (UCLA to Pepperdine), D'End Parker (UCLA to San Francisco), Trent Lockett (Arizona State to Marquette, eligible immediately), Kyle Cain (Arizona State to UNC Greensboro), Chanse Creekmur (Arizona State to Iowa State football), Josiah Turner (Arizona to SMU), Ben Mills (Colorado), Shannon Sharpe (Colorado), Garrett Jackson (USC to St. Mary's), Curtis Washington (USC to Georgia State), Alexis Moore (USC), Emerson Murray (Cal to Seattle), Alex Rossi (Cal to Valparaiso), Brett Kingma (Oregon), Kareem Story (Utah to Southern Idaho), Javon Dawson (Utah), Dijon Farr (Utah to Arkansas-Fort Smith), Chris Hines (Utah to Drake), George Matthews (Utah to Texas-San Antonio), Anthony Odunsi (Utah)

Not really surprising at all, if true. I speculated that Kingma could be leaving the program in the Anthony Bennett thread.

With Oregon taking so many guards in this recruiting class, it figured that someone would transfer. If Kingma is indeed leaving the program, I wonder if he'll reconsider BYU.
“If everybody in this room just want to be real with themselves, this game could have went either way,” he said. “We turned the ball over a lot. We beat ourself. Just be real with yourself right now. We beat ourself.”
-Jameis Winston after Oregon's decisive 59-20 victory over Florida State in the Rose Bowl
Phenom
All Pac-12

Re: Brett Kingma transferring?

Post by Phenom »

After 1 year?
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Kind of odd since we haven't heard anything in like a month and usually Mops or another source familiar to the program would have said something by now.
TheMaehlMan
Junior

Post by TheMaehlMan »

greenyellow wrote:Kind of odd since we haven't heard anything in like a month and usually Mops or another source familiar to the program would have said something by now.
He posted on DT that Kingma was likely to transfer to a lower level school. Now it makes more sense as to why we took Fred Richardson as well. With Devon Branch, Dotson, and Richardson in the fold, Kingma probably didn't see much playing time in the next few seasons. I wish he would have stuck it out though, he had a good enough stroke to make it on the court eventually.

Going to miss the Maehl Man
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

This now means there are no sophomores left on the team and the 2011 recruiting class was basically a bust. I could easily see the 2013 class now including a JC player or 2 with Kingma leaving in all likelihood.
TheMaehlMan
Junior

Post by TheMaehlMan »

Matt confirmed that Kingma has decided to leave Oregon.

Going to miss the Maehl Man
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

you can never have too many shooters. i know we brought in quite a few bodies but i liked the kid. best of luck to him.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Boom
All Pac-12
GM: Houston Rockets

Post by Boom »

Said it from day one... He wasn't a Pac12 quality guard.

Best of luck to him.
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

Honestly, I didn't think he was bad at all, especially for a freshman. He can flat out shoot.
Boom
All Pac-12
GM: Houston Rockets

Post by Boom »

duckgrad99 wrote:Honestly, I didn't think he was bad at all, especially for a freshman. He can flat out shoot.
30% from the field and 33% from 3s

Not good enough for a one dimensional player.

He has a good shot... but it's a lot harder to shoot over guys who are more athletic and 4-6 inches taller than you.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Class breakdown now sucks since Altman hasn't been able to keep anyone from the 2011 class in, besides Kuemper. FR class is just going to loaded unless Altam redshirts somebody, but with so few players, it looks like all hands on deck again.

SR: Singler, Woods, Emory
JR: Loyd, Branch
SO:
FR: Kuemper, Artis, Carter, Dotson, Moore, Richardson
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

it's hard to judge a player on the statistics he puts up as a part-time freshman. i won't take the dickish route and say he isn't a pac-12 player, because no one knows how high his ceiling is. not everyone can be a star.
ImageImageImageImageImage
uostudent
Senior

Post by uostudent »

oregontrack wrote:you can never have too many shooters. i know we brought in quite a few bodies but i liked the kid. best of luck to him.
Agree. Kingma was an outstanding pure shooter in high school, albeit a bit streaky. He is also a terrific student. I was optimistic that he would be able to play the point. That obviously wasn't the case, as he wasn't able to beat out Jonathan Loyd for playing time.
oregontrack wrote:it's hard to judge a player on the statistics he puts up as a part-time freshman. i won't take the dickish route and say he isn't a pac-12 player, because no one knows how high his ceiling is. not everyone can be a star.
Ya, way too early to say that he isn't a Pac 12 caliber player. He's a very skinny guy and appeared to have trouble defending opposing guards. I think he's kind of a project, due to his physique, but could have been a really nice scoring punch off the bench by his senior season.

For those worrying about the classes being balanced - don't.

I guarantee that at least one player from this class (probably Richardson, Moore or Dotson) will redshirt this season. Altman knows what he's doing. He'll probably take another JC kid in the 2013 class.
“If everybody in this room just want to be real with themselves, this game could have went either way,” he said. “We turned the ball over a lot. We beat ourself. Just be real with yourself right now. We beat ourself.”
-Jameis Winston after Oregon's decisive 59-20 victory over Florida State in the Rose Bowl
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

oregontrack wrote:it's hard to judge a player on the statistics he puts up as a part-time freshman. i won't take the dickish route and say he isn't a pac-12 player, because no one knows how high his ceiling is. not everyone can be a star.
Let's not turn this into educk, ok? Disagreeing is one thing, name calling a fellow Duck Dickish is something else.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
uostudent
Senior

Post by uostudent »

nogerO wrote:
Let's not turn this into educk, ok? Disagreeing is one thing, name calling a fellow Duck Dickish is something else.
Don't think oregontrack was name calling - I think he was pointing out that it's difficult to judge a player based on limited opportunities in their freshman year. I agree that it's a bit premature to make determinations about Kingma's ability - other than that he doesn't have the physical gifts to be a star player.

Luke Ridnour didn't look like a particularly good player in his freshman year. Not comparing Kingma to Ridnour - just pointing out that freshmen are rarely major contributors.