Quotes from Dana Altman on next year's team

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

uostudent
Senior

Quotes from Dana Altman on next year's team

Post by uostudent »

From Jon Rothstein's (writer for CBS - actually does a good job of covering the Pac 12) twitter.

Just hung up with Oregon coach Dana Altman, whose team will once again try to blend a new team together in 12-13....

Altman on Oregon "We've been plugging holes the last few yrs. We haven't laid the foundation yet. We're hoping these freshmen can do that."

Altman on Oregon cont'd "The only thing etched in stone is that Tony Woods can block shots + EJ Singler + Carlos Emory will be out there."

Altman on Jonathan Loyd "He played a lot the past few years. We can move him in and out."

Altman on Dominic Artis "He will be asked right from the start to play a signifigant role."

Altman on EJ Singler "He's got a really good feel for the PAC-12. He brings it each and every day."

Altman on Tony Woods "He showed signs the latter part of the year. I'm hoping it will continue."

Altman on Carlos Emory "He came on strong at the end of last year. He's got great athleticism."

Altman on Damyean Dotson "He can handle the ball a little bit. He's got some explosion."

Altman on Ben Carter "I like his skill level and his basketball savvy. He's got a chance to help us."

Altman on RS freshman Austin Kuemper "He has to play. How many minutes depends on his development. He's put on 15-20 pounds."

Rothstein's comments:
Dominic Artis is going to have a major role next season for Oregon. Going to get major minutes for the Ducks. Will produce. X-factor.

Firmly believe UCLA, Arizona, Stanford are top three in PAC-12. USC + Cal dangerous sleepers. OSU, ASU, Oregon w potential.

--------------------

A lot of this isn't new info. I think most of us were expecting Artis to start. Interesting that Kuemper is up to 245-250 - Oregon is really going to need him to contribute this season. There will be a lot of competition for the starting SG spot, though I think right now, Devon Branch has to be considered the favorite. Definitely sounds like Altman expects Ben Carter to get a fair amount of playing time next season.

Possible starting lineup:
PG Dominic Artis
SG Devon Branch
SF EJ Singler
PF Carlos Emory
C Tony Woods

I think we'll see two players redshirt (Fred Richardson and Willie Moore or Damyean Dotson) since Altman is going to need to balance out these classes.
“If everybody in this room just want to be real with themselves, this game could have went either way,” he said. “We turned the ball over a lot. We beat ourself. Just be real with yourself right now. We beat ourself.”
-Jameis Winston after Oregon's decisive 59-20 victory over Florida State in the Rose Bowl
greenyellow

Re: Quotes from Dana Altman on next year's team

Post by greenyellow »

I'm not so sure he'll redshirt 2 players since the team would basically be down to 9 scholarship players and a couple walk-ons for most of the season (Armstead won't be ready until mid-January.) I see maybe only Moore or Richardson being redshirted.
Boom
All Pac-12
GM: Houston Rockets

Post by Boom »

Players transfer too often to worry about balancing classes.

Plus we lose a bunch of guys after this year... so we need to develop some depth.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

I actually really like our starting lineup, however, our depth not so much.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

UOducksTK1 wrote:I actually really like our starting lineup, however, our depth not so much.
It's definitely not going to be like last year, when the team could easily go 10 deep and still play somewhat good ball with an entire reserve line-up.
Boom
All Pac-12

Post by Boom »

UOducksTK1 wrote:I actually really like our starting lineup, however, our depth not so much.
Having a PG will be nice
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Boom wrote:
Having a PG will be nice
So true, and while a true freshman PG usually don't come out and do it big from day 1, I think he will be the key to our success this season. If he can come in, and limit his turnovers, dish out 5 dimes a game and drop in 9-12ppg, I think we could finish in the top 3-4 of the Pac-12.

RanDux
Senior

Post by RanDux »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
Boom wrote:
Having a PG will be nice
So true, and while a true freshman PG usually don't come out and do it big from day 1, I think he will be the key to our success this season. If he can come in, and limit his turnovers, dish out 5 dimes a game and drop in 9-12ppg, I think we could finish in the top 3-4 of the Pac-12.
I will be shocked if we finish that high. We've just lost too many players.
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

A lot of unknowns. Seemed were in the
same boat as last year. Didn't know how all the
new faces would work. They did pretty well. The
difference is some of the new faces already had
major college experience. Should be interesting.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

RanDux wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:
Boom wrote:
Having a PG will be nice
Like 22 said, a lot like last year though. Who knew Devoe Joesph would turn into one of the Pac-12's best players. Let's not forget either, Sim's substantial development his senior year. If Branch can make a solid enough impact offensively, and Artis can run this team efficiently, there's no reason we couldn't be 3rd or 4th in the Pac-12 with an outside shot of the tournament again. A stretch? Sure, but Altman is a good coach. If this was EK's team, I'd be saying close to the bottom. But Altman gets a lot out of his players.

Boom
All Pac-12

Post by Boom »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
RanDux wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:
Boom wrote:
Having a PG will be nice
Like 22 said, a lot like last year though. Who knew Devoe Joesph would turn into one of the Pac-12's best players. Let's not forget either, Sim's substantial development his senior year. If Branch can make a solid enough impact offensively, and Artis can run this team efficiently, there's no reason we couldn't be 3rd or 4th in the Pac-12 with an outside shot of the tournament again. A stretch? Sure, but Altman is a good coach. If this was EK's team, I'd be saying close to the bottom. But Altman gets a lot out of his players.
Is it possible? I suppose... but it's unlikely.

like you said Devoe Joseph was damn good. He was probably our best shooting guard since Fred Jones. I would be surprised if a JC guard steps in and has half the impact that Joseph gave us last year. JC players usually always take a year to acclimate.

Garrett Sim had a great senior year (46% from 3!)

Athletic depth in the frontline (Nared & Emory)

And lets not forget that Olu Ashaolu was probably the best player to come of the bench in Pac12 last year.

And consider that last years team was pretty much all upperclassmen...

And now we're going to count on a freshman to start at PG (ouch) and 2 unproven bigmen to come off the bench (Kuemper & Carter)

And who's going to be our backup wings? Dotson & Richardson?

In my opinion that's too many freshman in rotation to be a top 4 team in the league next year.
TheMaehlMan
Junior

Post by TheMaehlMan »

Good post Boom, and the Pac-12 looks to be improved from a talent standpoint this coming season as well.

Going to miss the Maehl Man
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

damn, i think i agree with boom on all counts. well said.
ImageImageImageImageImage
uostudent
Senior

Post by uostudent »

Excellent post boom. Oregon definitely had outstanding depth this year. The Pac 12 should be stronger next season. Expect UCLA, Arizona, Stanford and USC to be quite a bit better. Washington, Oregon, Oregon State, and Colorado should be worse.

Could see the team finishing anywhere from 6-8 in the conference next season, baring huge seasons from Tony Woods and Carlos Emory.
“If everybody in this room just want to be real with themselves, this game could have went either way,” he said. “We turned the ball over a lot. We beat ourself. Just be real with yourself right now. We beat ourself.”
-Jameis Winston after Oregon's decisive 59-20 victory over Florida State in the Rose Bowl
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

i'm pretty high on colorado next year. good incoming class, lots of young, productive kids already on the roster. did lose two very good seniors, granted. i think wazzu could have their best season in a couple years, too.

i think 4 of the top 5 teams in 2013 will come from the state of california.

i have a real hard time forecasting oregon, personally. we could go in a number of different ways. i think we have three really good seniors, but we're so damn young everywhere else.......
ImageImageImageImageImage