Olympics Thread

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

RanDux
Senior

Re: Olympics Thread

Post by RanDux »

Rupp wins silver in the 10k, Farah with the gold. Incredible finish! Wow!
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Galen Rupp just got a silver medal in the 10K, finishing just behind his training partner, British runner Mo Farrah. Rupp outkicked the Kenyans and Ethiopians at the end. Nice to see him have such success at the international level.
RanDux
Senior

Post by RanDux »

greenyellow wrote:Galen Rupp just got a silver medal in the 10K, finishing just behind his training partner, British runner Mo Farrah. Rupp outkicked the Kenyans and Ethiopians at the end. Nice to see him have such success at the international level.
A great moment for Duck sports right there! Americans just don't beat the Africans at those distances.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

Yeah Rupp is ridiculous. Not surprising but he beat me every single time I had to race him in high school, by very large margins
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

RanDux wrote:
greenyellow wrote:Galen Rupp just got a silver medal in the 10K, finishing just behind his training partner, British runner Mo Farrah. Rupp outkicked the Kenyans and Ethiopians at the end. Nice to see him have such success at the international level.
A great moment for Duck sports right there! Americans just don't beat the Africans at those distances.
The last time an American won a medal in the 10k was in 1964. Rupp was fantastic!
frogsnouts
Three Star Recruit

Post by frogsnouts »

RanDux wrote:
Indeed, I thought for sure the little Kenyan guys were going to outkick him or at least make it interesting. Rupp is better than I thought.

Now Ashton Eaton needs to take care of business and the Ducks will look golden.
RanDux
Senior

Post by RanDux »

Does anyone remember what Rupp placed in the last Olympics? I remember that he was the first non-African, but don't remember his place.
gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

RanDux wrote:Does anyone remember what Rupp placed in the last Olympics? I remember that he was the first non-African, but don't remember his place.
According to Wikipedia, Rupp finished 13th in this race in Beijing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galen_Rupp

I wasn't expecting him to medal. Tremendous performance.
DAT#6
Four Star Recruit

Post by DAT#6 »

Will Galen have a medal shot at 5K?
RanDux
Senior

Post by RanDux »

Rupp on Farah: “I’m thrilled for Mo," Rupp said of Farah. "It’s unreal. Two training partners coming in first and second. I couldn’t be happier. I wouldn’t be where I am today without him. I’m the lucky one - I get to train with the best middle distance runner in the world."
RanDux
Senior

Post by RanDux »

DAT#6 wrote:Will Galen have a medal shot at 5K?
I didn't think he had a shot in the 10k. I think after today's performance he has to be seen as a contender. He has really cranked up his level of competitiveness since the last Olympics, where he finished 13th.
duckduckgoose
Five Star Recruit

Olympics Thread

Post by duckduckgoose »

Anyone see Oscar Pistorias from South Africa run today? A double amputee finishing second in his heat of the 400 meters! What a great moment in Olympic history that was!
RanDux
Senior

Post by RanDux »

As much as I usually dislike Canzano's stuff, he wrote an excellent article on the 10k: http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregon ... o_far.html
thomas time
Senior

Post by thomas time »

I watched Rupp race with my dad and that was the most excited I've seen him, amazing job by Galen!!
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

I couldn't believe it when I saw it, but I was so excited when Rupp came in second. Congrats to him!

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13