All Pac-12

Re: Rumor about a JC big

Post by Phenom »

Nice.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

He's a 3 for 2. The 18/10/3 numbers were from his frosh year. I couldn't find his SO stats but in browsing the game summaries it looks like he probably averaged around the same numbers his SO year. http://www.palmbeachstate.edu/athletics ... fault.aspx
uostudent
Senior

Post by uostudent »

Pretty hilarious that Oregon was able to take JC guy who couldn't qualify at another school, considering how many JC recruits that they haven't been able to admit for the same exact reason. It appears that the issue was related to Palm Beach State credits. Wonder if Oregon being on the quarter system may have allowed him to have enough units required in order to transfer. The NCAA declared him a full qualifier and he received his AA degree.

Either way, nice pick up. The team definitely needed another big.
“If everybody in this room just want to be real with themselves, this game could have went either way,” he said. “We turned the ball over a lot. We beat ourself. Just be real with yourself right now. We beat ourself.”
-Jameis Winston after Oregon's decisive 59-20 victory over Florida State in the Rose Bowl
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

Boom
All Pac-12
GM: Houston Rockets

Post by Boom »

I'm glad we're able to add a quality big this late into the season. I think Altman seriously lucked out on this one.
uostudent
Senior

Post by uostudent »

Wavery Austin Officially Headed to Oregon

Waverly Austin (6-11/270), who signed with and spent the summer at the University of South Florida, is now officially headed to the University of Oregon to play his remaining two years of college basketball. Austin said he is officially cleared to play this season at Oregon.

I spoke with Austin this evening. He said he had calls from Oregon, Xavier, Texas Tech, Texas, Syracuse, LSU and a handful of others as soon as it was announced that he was no longer eligible at USF. Oregon stood out to him for a variety of reasons. Austin said, “They have great facilities and are in a great conference. I feel like I’m their missing piece.” He also said, “Coach Altman seems like a great guy. They had a good year last year and I think I’ll be able to help put them over the top.” Classes start later at Oregon, which made the decision much easier for Austin. He said “This will give me time to get ready in the classroom and on the court. Since school starts later, I won’t get behind.”

Austin averaged 15 points, 10 rebounds and 3 blocks per game last season as a sophomore at Palm Beach State College. He was named Florida Junior College Player of the Year.
Oregon really needed another big and Austin is a quality player. Also looks like he had some interest from some pretty good programs (Xavier, Texas, Syracuse).
“If everybody in this room just want to be real with themselves, this game could have went either way,” he said. “We turned the ball over a lot. We beat ourself. Just be real with yourself right now. We beat ourself.”
-Jameis Winston after Oregon's decisive 59-20 victory over Florida State in the Rose Bowl
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

http://oregon.247sports.com/Article/Wav ... tman-89153

"It might be September but Altman got the roster addition he was looking for Wednesday night from 2012 junior college All-American Waverly Austin."

"Austin announced the decision over Twitter by saying, "Heading to the University of Oregon tomorrow ready to take over the pac 12 grind time!!!!!!! #goducks #Blessed.""

"As a sophomore last season the 6-foot-11 and 250 pound center averaged 14.8 points, 9.3 rebounds, and 2.9 blocked shots for a Palm Beach State College team that finished with a 26-5 record. As a freshmen Austin averaged 18 points and 10 rebounds."

"With fall classes starting at Oregon in only a couple of weeks Austin had time to take an official to Oregon or Xavier but said he didn't need it."

"I made my choice blind," Austin added. "I've never been to Eugene or Oregon in my life, but I am excited."

"Austin also says he has a message for his teammates and the Oregon fans."

"Pac-12 championship...that is why I am coming."

Alrighty, then!
Last edited by woundedknees on Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Really good pick up. Just having another big body on the roster to throw out there is huge.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Having one with some decent skills will benefit the team on the practice court, as well.

buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

He avg 18 and 10 as a FR, those are great numbers. Don't know what the competition is like at his JC, but really would be exciting to have a big who can score.
TheMaehlMan
Junior

Post by TheMaehlMan »

This also gives Oregon a better shot at Aaron Gordon. Gordon doesn't want to play the 5 in college, and now Oregon has proof that this won't be an issue. Austin is a huge pickup on many different levels.

Going to miss the Maehl Man
justducky0
Senior

Post by justducky0 »

woundedknees wrote:http://oregon.247sports.com/Article/Wav ... tman-89153

"It might be September but Altman got the roster addition he was looking for Wednesday night from 2012 junior college All-American Waverly Austin."

"Austin announced the decision over Twitter by saying, "Heading to the University of Oregon tomorrow ready to take over the pac 12 grind time!!!!!!! #goducks #Blessed.""

"As a sophomore last season the 6-foot-11 and 250 pound center averaged 14.8 points, 9.3 rebounds, and 2.9 blocked shots for a Palm Beach State College team that finished with a 26-5 record. As a freshmen Austin averaged 18 points and 10 rebounds."

"With fall classes starting at Oregon in only a couple of weeks Austin had time to take an official to Oregon or Xavier but said he didn't need it."

"I made my choice blind," Austin added. "I've never been to Eugene or Oregon in my life, but I am excited."

"Austin also says he has a message for his teammates and the Oregon fans."

"Pac-12 championship...that is why I am coming."

Alrighty, then!

woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

The only 2 things Carey has that I wouldn't mind is Mo Money and Mo Hair...