Lots of significant OOC games for the Pac-12 this week

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

Greenblood
Senior

Lots of significant OOC games for the Pac-12 this week

Post by Greenblood »

I don't know if there are going to be separate threads or whatever for these games, but we have this week,

UW at LSU
Wisconsin at OSU
Duke at Stanford (well . . . )
Nebraska at UCLA
USC at Syracuse (again, "well . . . ")
Oklahoma St. at Arizona
Illinois at ASU

We're going to learn a lot about our conference teams. I'm maybe especially interested in Arizona, since while a quick glance at their struggle vs. Toledo might suggest a pretty weak team, the Wildcats actually very much dominated that game statistically. Also interested to see if UCLA is for real.
Last edited by Greenblood on Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Braveheart
Sophomore

Re: Lots of significant OOC games vs. Pac-12 this week

Post by Braveheart »

A lot of good to great games. Don't be surprised if Duke hangs with the Furd. Syracuse isn't a bad team, and Nassib will challenge the Trojan secondary (for a half at least). I was impressed with Arizona beating Toledo. I expected Toledo to win, but Zona's D showed up.
frogsnouts
Three Star Recruit

Post by frogsnouts »

I only see three possible wins (ASU, USC, Stanford). Arizona will get crushed, OSU won't be far behind and UCLA might be right there with them if Nebraska is as advertised.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

I think people are overrating Hundley, but I think they can hang with Nebraska.
Elduderino
Senior

Post by Elduderino »

Braveheart wrote:A lot of good to great games. Don't be surprised if Duke hangs with the Furd. Syracuse isn't a bad team, and Nassib will challenge the Trojan secondary (for a half at least). I was impressed with Arizona beating Toledo. I expected Toledo to win, but Zona's D showed up.
I agree with pretty much all of this. I liked Toledo as well, still thought UA would win, but expected it to be close. I think 'Cuse should be a game opponent for that first half; but there is still a pretty significant talent gap there. Duke upset Stanford??
AKA: CAgrown
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Hundley is a stud, now 2 ways to cut it. In a year or 2 we could see the Pac 12 produce the #1-2 pick in both he and Mariota, both IMHO are that good. Hundley reminds me of a young Newton and Mariota a more athletic Bradford (I didn't come up with the comparison someone else on another duck board did, but I agree with it).

UCLA can win, though I expect them to lose. UW(good one) doesn't have Wilson so they offense isn't near as explosive as last year, but they should still beat OS by 10. OSU destroys UA, and ASU wins vs UI. SC by 30 over cuse, who isn't that good.
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

Wisconsin only barely beat Northern Iowa in Madison on Saturday. If they play like that this week, I think the Beavers have a real shot in Corvallis.
Braveheart
Sophomore

Post by Braveheart »

Elduderino wrote:
Braveheart wrote:A lot of good to great games. Don't be surprised if Duke hangs with the Furd. Syracuse isn't a bad team, and Nassib will challenge the Trojan secondary (for a half at least). I was impressed with Arizona beating Toledo. I expected Toledo to win, but Zona's D showed up.
I agree with pretty much all of this. I liked Toledo as well, still thought UA would win, but expected it to be close. I think 'Cuse should be a game opponent for that first half; but there is still a pretty significant talent gap there. Duke upset Stanford??
Possible. Duke did a good job against FIU whose a very solid non-BCS squad. If they get ahead of the Furd, it could be game over. Stanford isn't made to come from behind, especially with no Luck (who really was the real deal).

Hundley is talented, but I believe he and UCLA will be humbled by Nebraska. I think Wisconsin and Oregon St. Should be close until the second half when the Badgers wear them down. Now that I think of it, this could be one of those rare positive seasons for Mike Reilly and OSU. CAL doesn't look like they've progressed. Stanford has obviously took a step down. WSU might need a year to fully grasp the Leach system.
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

buckmarkduck wrote:Hundley is a stud, now 2 ways to cut it. In a year or 2 we could see the Pac 12 produce the #1-2 pick in both he and Mariota, both IMHO are that good. Hundley reminds me of a young Newton and Mariota a more athletic Bradford (I didn't come up with the comparison someone else on another duck board did, but I agree with it).

UCLA can win, though I expect them to lose. UW(good one) doesn't have Wilson so they offense isn't near as explosive as last year, but they should still beat OS by 10. OSU destroys UA, and ASU wins vs UI. SC by 30 over cuse, who isn't that good.
Am I the only one who, while impressed with what MM did, think part of it had to do with who we were playing? I think he will be an amazing QB, but he has played one game against a non-BCS school. Again, he was very impressive and way exceeded my expectations but as the #5 team in the country...we are supposed to beat inferior opponents in such a way. Scoring 50 points in 20 minutes is a feat we may never see accomplished again but I want to see how he does when we play a team with BCS caliber defenders. Truthfully, he should have been picked off once for sure (tipped ball caught by DAT in the end zone) and potentially a second time (when he tried to thread the needle between 2 LB's in the end zone). I know I'm coming across like a negative nancy and I'm not trying to underscore what MM did but...it was Arkansas State. Let's see him play a team with a legit D before we compare him to Sam Bradford. As far as Hundley, same thing just instead of Arkansas State, he played Rice. Now please feel free to ridicule me and call me a fake fan/hater/idiot...as all my other buddies did when I said this to them Saturday night.
stewbertwilloughby
Five Star Recruit

Post by stewbertwilloughby »

buckmarkduck wrote:Hundley is a stud, now 2 ways to cut it. In a year or 2 we could see the Pac 12 produce the #1-2 pick in both he and Mariota, both IMHO are that good. Hundley reminds me of a young Newton and Mariota a more athletic Bradford (I didn't come up with the comparison someone else on another duck board did, but I agree with it).

I wouldn't compare him to Newton at all. Maybe Darting Thomas with a better throwing motion. He throws the ball well, but his accuracy and timing just isn't there yet.
GO DUCKS!
Braveheart
Sophomore

Post by Braveheart »

Duck24 wrote:

Am I the only one who, while impressed with what MM did, think part of it had to do with who we were playing? I think he will be an amazing QB, but he has played one game against a non-BCS school. Again, he was very impressive and way exceeded my expectations but as the #5 team in the country...we are supposed to beat inferior opponents in such a way. Scoring 50 points in 20 minutes is a feat we may never see accomplished again but I want to see how he does when we play a team with BCS caliber defenders. Truthfully, he should have been picked off once for sure (tipped ball caught by DAT in the end zone) and potentially a second time (when he tried to thread the needle between 2 LB's in the end zone). I know I'm coming across like a negative nancy and I'm not trying to underscore what MM did but...it was Arkansas State. Let's see him play a team with a legit D before we compare him to Sam Bradford. As far as Hundley, same thing just instead of Arkansas State, he played Rice. Now please feel free to ridicule me and call me a fake fan/hater/idiot...as all my other buddies did when I said this to them Saturday night.
Well, you're not alone.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

Hundley is not as fast as Newton. He did not look fast at all to me. DT speed.
Bud Lee
All Pac-12

Re: Lots of significant OOC games for Pac-12 teams this week

Post by Bud Lee »

UW at LSU
Wisconsin at OSU
Duke at Stanford (well . . . )
Nebraska at UCLA
USC at Syracuse (again, "well . . . ")
Oklahoma St. at Arizona
Illinois at ASU
In my opinion;

1) Arizona is going to get their arses handed to them
2) ASU will probably win but it is going to be a competitive matchup
3) USC is going to roll over the Orange men
4) This sounds crazy...but...I think Duke will upset Stanford\
5) UCLA has no chance against Nebraska
6) I'm not sure about Wisconsin v. OSU, I want to say that Ball is going to run for 150+ and they will win by 2 TD's but after last week I don't know...
7) In regards to the Huskies...BAWHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA :lol:
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Greenblood wrote:Wisconsin only barely beat Northern Iowa in Madison on Saturday. If they play like that this week, I think the Beavers have a real shot in Corvallis.
This. Wisconsin struggled, this is the Beavers chance to get back to being relevant.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
Greenblood
Senior

Re: Lots of significant OOC games for Pac-12 teams this week

Post by Greenblood »

And if the Beavers were to pull off the upset, I have to figure that some of their fans will assert that their program is pretty much right where the Ducks are since, after all, they beat Wisconsin just like the Ducks recently did . . .