Grading the Pac-12 Performances in Week 2

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

Just my thoughts, in grade order, having only watched the Ducks and a little of the Wildcat victory. I guess this is more or less my view of how they performed vs. how I thought they were capable of performing:

ASU - A+
UA - A+
UCLA - A+
OSU - A
Stanford - B
USC - B
UW - C+
Cal - C+
UO - C+
Utah - C
WSU - D+
Colorado - D

I could see how some might grade Utah's loss worse than I did. Three things: (1) We need to make sure we're NOT seeing USU as that forlorn team of a few years ago whom the Ducks blew out who were definitely one of the worst teams in the FBS at that time; (2) Utah lost Wynn during the game; and (3) it's a "rival" game.

This week has really "elevated" the Pac-12. Especially if ASU goes to Mizzou this week and wins, the strength of the conference will be sitting pretty as we go full-bore into the league games. I see two pretty bad teams in WSU and Colorado, three teams who don't look good but who might have potential (Cal, Utah and maybe UW -- even though I hope not on the latter), and seven teams who could at least potentially beat anyone else in the conference -- though I would want more evidence before believing the Beavers are a real factor.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Re: Grading the Pac-12 Performances in Week 2

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Despite how bad our win over Fresno was, No way we are in the same category as a team that put up 3 points all game.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

UOducksTK1 wrote:Despite how bad our win over Fresno was, No way we are in the same category as a team that put up 3 points all game.

Make that 3 points after getting the ball on LSU's 20, and only moving it to the 18... Without that muffed return, UWprobably would have been blanked by the Tigers.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

UOducksTK1 wrote:Despite how bad our win over Fresno was, No way we are in the same category as a team that put up 3 points all game.
Thanks, I agree. That's a good example of why I said I graded their Week 2 performance compared to what I thought was possible for each team. I'm not sure how much better the Huskies could have done, but I definitely thought the Ducks could play much better, at least than they did in the second half. In no way is this a ranking of the conference teams, as if I think, e.g., that the Arizona schools and UCLA are the top three teams in the Pac-12.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Greenblood wrote:
Thanks, I agree. That's a good example of why I said I graded their Week 2 performance compared to what I thought was possible for each team. I'm not sure how much better the Huskies could have done, but I definitely thought the Ducks could play much better, at least than they did in the second half. In no way is this a ranking of the conference teams, as if I think, e.g., that the Arizona schools and UCLA are the top three teams in the Pac-12.
See my problem, is I don't really read. I just glance lol. Otherwise I guess a C+ for us and fuskies is more comparable.

But I still think UW severely underachieved. I mean, you can't really do much worse than they did. Despite the injuries and being overmatched, lots of people had UW keeping it close and scoring around 20+ points (check Pac-12 predictions thread).

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
USUaggieDuck
Five Star Recruit

Post by USUaggieDuck »

Greenblood wrote:Just my thoughts, in grade order, having only watched the Ducks and a little of the Wildcat victory. I guess this is more or less my view of how they performed vs. how I thought they were capable of performing:

ASU - A+
UA - A+
UCLA - A+
OSU - A
Stanford - B
USC - B
UW - C+
Cal - C+
UO - C+
Utah - C
WSU - D+
Colorado - D

I could see how some might grade Utah's loss worse than I did. Three things: (1) We need to make sure we're NOT seeing USU as that forlorn team of a few years ago whom the Ducks blew out who were definitely one of the worst teams in the FBS at that time; (2) Utah lost Wynn during the game; and (3) it's a "rival" game.

This week has really "elevated" the Pac-12. Especially if ASU goes to Mizzou this week and wins, the strength of the conference will be sitting pretty as we go full-bore into the league games. I see two pretty bad teams in WSU and Colorado, three teams who don't look good but who might have potential (Cal, Utah and maybe UW -- even though I hope not on the latter), and seven teams who could at least potentially beat anyone else in the conference -- though I would want more evidence before believing the Beavers are a real factor.
utes cheered when Wynn went out. Usu fans were upset. I'm not exaggerating at all, either. Didn't usu hang 20something points up when they played here? It was a big deal that we scored so much vs a PAC team at the time. But Utah state won becausevwr had the better team and coaching in the game. Nobody who follows either team were very surprised.

Sent from my iPad
USUaggieDuck
Five Star Recruit

Post by USUaggieDuck »

Ive watched every Utah game that was on tv for 6 years, btw, and id give them a c- because they suck at offense.

Sent from my iPad
USUaggieDuck
Five Star Recruit

Post by USUaggieDuck »

Colorado gets an F. No doubt. They lost to an FCS team and an fbs team that then lost to an FCS team. They are awful.
Sent from my iPad

Sent from my iPad