USC at Stanford: Can someone convince me . . .

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

Greenblood
Senior

USC at Stanford: Can someone convince me . . .

Post by Greenblood »

that Stanford has a real shot in this game? It would take some convincing; ever since I looked at the stats from the Duke-Stanford game, all of the sudden Stanford's victory looked much less impressive than the score might indicate.
DAT#6
Four Star Recruit

Re: USC at Stanford: Can someone convince me . . .

Post by DAT#6 »

Greenblood wrote:that Stanford has a real shot in this game? It would take some convincing; ever since I looked at the stats from the Duke-Stanford game, all of the sudden Stanford's victory looked much less impressive than the score might indicate.
USC hasn't seemed all that great either. I think with the game being played in Palo Alto, Furd has a pretty good shot. I would give them about a 30% chance of winning.
Braveheart
Sophomore

Post by Braveheart »

Uh, well Stanford still has a pretty good front seven. Their O-line (while not as good as last year) is still a physical and smart unit. They have a good north-south runner (which is the way teams can run on USC). They are at home, they aren't intimidated at all. They are familiar with what USC does. USC won't be kicking Field Goals.

With all that being said, I think the Furd causes them trouble, but mainly in the first half. I'm not confident that Stanford wont be able to score enough without Luck, that guy was something else.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

USC seems to be playing uninspired since they feel entitled to their high ranking. Stanford just seems to be not very good. I don't think Furd stands a chance in this game since USC will probably come in focused this week.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
Quack_12
Four Star Recruit

Post by Quack_12 »

I think this will be a good game for sure. But I'm guessing that SC will get the win unless something happens to MB that would take him out of the game. But if he stays in and Stanford can get pressure on MB and get some 3 n outs, and score we might have a upset.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

I have this as my lock of the week. USC started out favored by only 8. That seems incredibly low to me. I'd have had the spread at 16 or 17 personally.

USC will win
52-28
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

I won't be getting my hopes up. The Cardinal's best shot is probably a fluke play or two that shifts momentum and maybe causes SC to lose some composure.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

An accidental hit on Kiffin, similar to the one that sent JoePa in for surgery a few seasons ago?
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

For Stanford to have a shot in this game, they need to shorten the game with long, clock draining drives. They basically need to do what Ohio State did to us in the Rose Bowl. USC can't beat you with Barkley, Lee, and Woods on the sideline. If Stanford can string together a couple of 10+ play 5+ minute drives, I think they have a chance. That is a lot for a team playing 2 true frosh O-Lineman playing in such a high profile game. With all that being said though, I think (and hope) that USC wins by 10+.
DAT#6
Four Star Recruit

Post by DAT#6 »

This is one of those games that I am better off not watching. It would be better for the Ducks if USC won all their games that we are not in, but if I watch it, I will definitely root against them.
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

DAT#6 wrote:It would be better for the Ducks if USC won all their games that we are not in, but if I watch it, I will definitely root against them.
Realize I'm late to the party and that there's another thread on this game, but . . . why? If the reasoning is that the Ducks will "gain" more by beating USC when they're as highly ranked as possible, it's also the case that, whatever the Ducks "lose" in that way by playing a USC team not so highly ranked, they (now) gain by playing a Stanford team that is higher ranked. Once conference play begins, the teams pretty much cancel out each other overall.
DAT#6
Four Star Recruit

Post by DAT#6 »

Greenblood wrote:
DAT#6 wrote:It would be better for the Ducks if USC won all their games that we are not in, but if I watch it, I will definitely root against them.
Realize I'm late to the party and that there's another thread on this game, but . . . why? If the reasoning is that the Ducks will "gain" more by beating USC when they're as highly ranked as possible, it's also the case that, whatever the Ducks "lose" in that way by playing a USC team not so highly ranked, they (now) gain by playing a Stanford team that is higher ranked. Once conference play begins, the teams pretty much cancel out each other overall.
Well USC would have been #1 or #2 When we played and Stanford will never get anywhere near that high. Nevertheless, I watched the game, and was delighted to see "pretty boy" Barkley get knocked on his a$$ all night long.
duck55
Senior

Post by duck55 »

Greenblood wrote:
That just makes too much sense - almost SECish. Doesn't hurt to have more than one team we beat be ranked in the top 10 - 20 range.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

i used to think the same way, but unless a team winning directly helps or hurts us near the end of the year regarding a bowl destination, i really stopped caring about what will happen down the line. i just enjoy the games as they unfold.
ImageImageImageImageImage