How many schollies left for hoops?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

northbeachsf
Freshman

How many schollies left for hoops?

Post by northbeachsf »

With the twins and Armstead on football rides, how many spots to we have left and who are we after right now, besides Gordon?
I have kinda lost track of hoops since moving to the east coast last January.
Now I have the Pac-12 network, so that should help.
uostudent
Senior

Re: How many schollies left for hoops?

Post by uostudent »

Aaron Gordon is a longshot.

Darin Johnson is probably Oregon's number 1 target right now.

Haven't heard much about Jordan Bell lately. He's a 6'6-6'7 PF who is a monster shotblocker with great athleticism and instincts. A bit raw offensively, but could be a monster defender, rebounder, shotblocker. Bell recently visited USC where his teammate Roschon Prince committed.

Yanick Moreira is a 6'11 PF/C who may be the best juco player in the country. He was supposed to visit Oregon last weekend. Has offers from SMU, Baylor, Pitt and Oregon.

A few other guys that Oregon has offered/looked at, but nothing close. Not expecting a big class - maybe around 3 commits.
“If everybody in this room just want to be real with themselves, this game could have went either way,” he said. “We turned the ball over a lot. We beat ourself. Just be real with yourself right now. We beat ourself.”
-Jameis Winston after Oregon's decisive 59-20 victory over Florida State in the Rose Bowl
wvduck34
Three Star Recruit

Post by wvduck34 »

It seems like everyone we go after is a long shot. I know that Dana Altman is a great coach
but one thing he seems to have problems with is recruiting young players and developing them.
Well at least on the West Coast. I realize that his system relies a lot on transfers and that
in college basketball player transfers are becoming more and more common. But in the Pac-12,
in order to be successful in the long run, you have to be able to compete for some blue chips.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

wvduck34 wrote:It seems like everyone we go after is a long shot. I know that Dana Altman is a great coach
but one thing he seems to have problems with is recruiting young players and developing them.
Well at least on the West Coast. I realize that his system relies a lot on transfers and that
in college basketball player transfers are becoming more and more common. But in the Pac-12,
in order to be successful in the long run, you have to be able to compete for some blue chips.
scholarship situation is a mess, not DA's fault one bit.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
Boom
All Pac-12
GM: Houston Rockets

Post by Boom »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
wvduck34 wrote:It seems like everyone we go after is a long shot. I know that Dana Altman is a great coach
?
wvduck34
Three Star Recruit

Post by wvduck34 »

UOducksTK1 wrote:

How do you figure?
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

wvduck34 wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:

How do you figure?
I'm just saying, obviously a reason for a lot of the early on transfers were because of the mess EK left. That's not his fault, he was put into a sticky situation. We lost so many guys last year because of that. Now we are a bit thin, so again we pull in a couple transfers. I think after another class or two, you will see more young players (blue chips too).

I mean, we did land Jabari Brown, and Dominic Artis. So DA obviously CAN recruit young, talented players. It's just a lot harder considering the situation he inherited.

Boom
All Pac-12
GM: Houston Rockets

Post by Boom »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
wvduck34 wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:

How do you figure?
I'm just saying, obviously a reason for a lot of the early on transfers were because of the mess EK left. That's not his fault, he was put into a sticky situation. We lost so many guys last year because of that. Now we are a bit thin, so again we pull in a couple transfers. I think after another class or two, you will see more young players (blue chips too).

I mean, we did land Jabari Brown, and Dominic Artis. So DA obviously CAN recruit young, talented players. It's just a lot harder considering the situation he inherited.
I think several schools pulled out of the Jabari Brown recruitment though. DA took a gamble on that one and failed.

And he lost Brown & Kingma from last years class as well.... He has to hold onto and develop this years class.
wvduck34
Three Star Recruit

Post by wvduck34 »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
wvduck34 wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:

How do you figure?

Oh, I am not saying it's easy, but we are depending on players for depth where we should be giving full scholarships. The reasons Branch left was because he got two years at a Division II school instead of one here. And Kazemi might not even play due to his hardship. Now I know that Altman had to move to a different school with a different recruiting area. But it is going to take Altman another two or three years to build the kind of team to challenge for a shot at the NCAA's. This year I am sorry, I dont see us winning much.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

i think we'll win 20 games and buy our way into the cbi to honor ej.

i betcha.
ImageImageImageImageImage
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Boom wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:
wvduck34 wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:

How do you figure?

I think several schools pulled out of the Jabari Brown recruitment though. DA took a gamble on that one and failed.

And he lost Brown & Kingma from last years class as well.... He has to hold onto and develop this years class.

Don't doubt that, I was more so arguing the transfers argument. And a big reason Kingma left was because of the overload of seniors/juniors when he came around. Again, I point to EK.

UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

wvduck34 wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:
wvduck34 wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:

How do you figure?

Oh, I am not saying it's easy, but we are depending on players for depth where we should be giving full scholarships. The reasons Branch left was because he got two years at a Division II school instead of one here. And Kazemi might not even play due to his hardship. Now I know that Altman had to move to a different school with a different recruiting area. But it is going to take Altman another two or three years to build the kind of team to challenge for a shot at the NCAA's. This year I am sorry, I dont see us winning much.
Completely agree, but given his position, I don't see how he could have done things much differently.

pudgejeff
Senior
GM: Sacramento Kings GM

Post by pudgejeff »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
Boom wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:
wvduck34 wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:

How do you figure?

Don't doubt that, I was more so arguing the transfers argument. And a big reason Kingma left was because of the overload of seniors/juniors when he came around. Again, I point to EK.
I keep seeing you blame EK for the roster issues in this thread. Can you please elaborate? You say Kingma left due to the overload of seniors/juniors when he came around. He was a Freshman last year, the Junior/Senior guards on the roster were Senior Garrett Sim(EK guy), Senior Devoe Joseph(Dana Altman guy) and that's it for Juniors/Seniors. I'm not trying to be an EK defender, I'm just saying at some point you have stop blaming the last guy and start looking at new guy. He's done nothing to help balance the classes, he's continually just taken JC guys and or Transfers and created no development within the roster. Everything he's tried to do is a stopgap measure. Which at first was understandable with the lots of guys leaving when he came, but he's perpetuated the issue to the point where he has needed to get lucky and find late transfers each year. Now he looked like he was gonna build towards the future with the young guards and then went and forfeited it again with signing transfer posts, yes they will help immediately but that's not building anything.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

pudgejeff wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:
Boom wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:
wvduck34 wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote: scholarship situation is a mess, not DA's fault one bit.

How do you figure?

I keep seeing you blame EK for the roster issues in this thread. Can you please elaborate? You say Kingma left due to the overload of seniors/juniors when he came around. He was a Freshman last year, the Junior/Senior guards on the roster were Senior Garrett Sim(EK guy), Senior Devoe Joseph(Dana Altman guy) and that's it for Juniors/Seniors. I'm not trying to be an EK defender, I'm just saying at some point you have stop blaming the last guy and start looking at new guy. He's done nothing to help balance the classes, he's continually just taken JC guys and or Transfers and created no development within the roster. Everything he's tried to do is a stopgap measure. Which at first was understandable with the lots of guys leaving when he came, but he's perpetuated the issue to the point where he has needed to get lucky and find late transfers each year. Now he looked like he was gonna build towards the future with the young guards and then went and forfeited it again with signing transfer posts, yes they will help immediately but that's not building anything.
He's taken JCs and transfer to help compete. Without the transfer he pulled in, we finish in the bottom half of the Pac-12. If you like to lose, that's great. But all the young guys he did pull in (Kingma, Brown, and the guard who was cousins with a Husky), did transfer. And partially due to the load at JR/SR positions that EK had left, as well as Altman trying to get some talent on a very crappy team EK had left with.

Obviously DA could have done some things differently here or there, but overall, he's done a tremendous job. And honestly, Jabari Brown was a head case, perhaps it was a blessing in disguise that he left. Can't we give it 4 years before we judge Altman? Give him time to bring in his own recruits that fit his system? Thanks.

pudgejeff
Senior
GM: Sacramento Kings GM

Post by pudgejeff »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
pudgejeff wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:
Boom wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:
wvduck34 wrote:
How do you figure?

He's taken JCs and transfer to help compete. Without the transfer he pulled in, we finish in the bottom half of the Pac-12. If you like to lose, that's great. But all the young guys he did pull in (Kingma, Brown, and the guard who was cousins with a Husky), did transfer. And partially due to the load at JR/SR positions that EK had left, as well as Altman trying to get some talent on a very crappy team EK had left with.

Obviously DA could have done some things differently here or there, but overall, he's done a tremendous job. And honestly, Jabari Brown was a head case, perhaps it was a blessing in disguise that he left. Can't we give it 4 years before we judge Altman? Give him time to bring in his own recruits that fit his system? Thanks.
I'm not disagreeing with you on any of the points here, other than reasons the 3 guards transferred as there was no load of JR/SR guards last year. I fully agree with you on the Jabari thing though, dude was a baby. And like I said I understood the transfers at first and trying to compete, but that can't be the formula to build the team. I'm wanting him to bring his recruits and build to his system, that was my complaint, it's that he's not. We're going in to year 3 now, once again with patchwork. I'm hoping this recruiting class will be a class to continue to build with, I just worry the trend will continue.