How many schollies left for hoops?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Re: How many schollies left for hoops?

Post by UOducksTK1 »

I'm not disagreeing with you on any of the points here, other than reasons the 3 guards transferred as there was no load of JR/SR guards last year. I fully agree with you on the Jabari thing though, dude was a baby. And like I said I understood the transfers at first and trying to compete, but that can't be the formula to build the team. I'm wanting him to bring his recruits and build to his system, that was my complaint, it's that he's not. We're going in to year 3 now, once again with patchwork. I'm hoping this recruiting class will be a class to continue to build with, I just worry the trend will continue.
And that's fair, I guess my argument would be, just this last class, with Artis, we are finally starting to see him plug in his own pieces. Afterall, it's more than likely that 2 true freshmen start at the guard positions. Singler, Emory, and Woods (who all played last year) will most likely start at the forward positions. I think adding Wally and the Rice transfer were MUSTS considering our front court depth.

Anyway, I agree, I'd like to see us recruiting younger, and I think now with 6 of DA's own freshmen, you will see him start building more balanced.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
pudgejeff
Senior
GM: Sacramento Kings GM

Post by pudgejeff »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
I'm not disagreeing with you on any of the points here, other than reasons the 3 guards transferred as there was no load of JR/SR guards last year. I fully agree with you on the Jabari thing though, dude was a baby. And like I said I understood the transfers at first and trying to compete, but that can't be the formula to build the team. I'm wanting him to bring his recruits and build to his system, that was my complaint, it's that he's not. We're going in to year 3 now, once again with patchwork. I'm hoping this recruiting class will be a class to continue to build with, I just worry the trend will continue.
And that's fair, I guess my argument would be, just this last class, with Artis, we are finally starting to see him plug in his own pieces. Afterall, it's more than likely that 2 true freshmen start at the guard positions. Singler, Emory, and Woods (who all played last year) will most likely start at the forward positions. I think adding Wally and the Rice transfer were MUSTS considering our front court depth.

Anyway, I agree, I'd like to see us recruiting younger, and I think now with 6 of DA's own freshmen, you will see him start building more balanced.
Hopefully he is able to redshirt some of those freshman this year cause if not we are going to have 6 scholarship guys all in the same class as well as Armstead.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

i think altman was dealt an awful, awful hand; he has yet to rectify it. doesn't mean he won't or can't, that's just where we are. we're still mid-process.

he's only had three classes, and no sane person would fault him for the first, after he got such a late start after the circus that was our coaching search. his second class looked very promising, but obviously unraveled with transfers. this class looks promising, too. we'll see.

i really like altman, and i like the brand of basketball he plays. i hope he succeeds.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Boom
All Pac-12
GM: Houston Rockets

Post by Boom »

oregontrack wrote:i think altman was dealt an awful, awful hand; he has yet to rectify it. doesn't mean he won't or can't, that's just where we are. we're still mid-process.

he's only had three classes, and no sane person would fault him for the first, after he got such a late start after the circus that was our coaching search. his second class looked very promising, but obviously unraveled with transfers. this class looks promising, too. we'll see.

i really like altman, and i like the brand of basketball he plays. i hope he succeeds.
Agreed

As much as I enjoyed watching Devoe Joseph and Olo Ashaulu last year... I really think Altman needs to start doing it with his own guys. Attendance is a pretty big problem and I think it would help if fans can watch the development and growth of the same team over multiple seasons.

It's really unfortunate that he lost most of his recruiting class year.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

anyone make it to midnight madness? any initial reactions?
ImageImageImageImageImage
Coastal Duck
Two Star Recruit

Post by Coastal Duck »

oregontrack wrote:i think altman was dealt an awful, awful hand; he has yet to rectify it. doesn't mean he won't or can't, that's just where we are. we're still mid-process.

You're on the right track, ot - Ernie had his classes so skewed, it became a feast-or-famine scenario - 6 srs., 1 jr., 6 so., 1 fr. - say -

I believe Coach Altman will get things balanced - in terms of front court-back court, as well as year-to-year.

It takes discipline to stay the course; to hold back a schollie to spend the following year; to "water the bamboo."

I think Dana has earned the right to stay at least 5 years (7-year contract?) before we start muttering amongst ourselves.
thomas time
Senior

Post by thomas time »

I love Dana's style and think he'll do fine recruiting as long as guys don't keep trasnferring on him