Pac 12 South

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

AutzenMember
Five Star Recruit

Pac 12 South

Post by AutzenMember »

Did you know...Arizona State, Arizona, UCLA and USC all still control thier own destiny in the P12 South? NONE of them have lost a game to another P12 South team, with all of thier collective P12 losses coming at the hands of the North teams.

Which team would be best to win out if the Ducks make it to the P12CG?

Unless UCLA gets to the P12CG, it is best for the Ducks if they lose out since they are not on Oregon's schedule.

USC is the popular choice, but I would argue that if ASU goes 10-2 (having to get past UCLA, Oregon State, USC and Arizona to do so), that they would be a top 10 team matching up with the Ducks in the P12CG. Not sure if they can do it, though, with a dessimated defense.

If Oregon beats USC, they will fall out of the top 10, but have chances to get back up with games against ASU, UCLA and Notre Dame. Certainly, that rematch (if this scenario is carried out) would have the most sizzle and national attention.

Arizona already has 3 losses, so if they won out, it would be the least attractive championship matchup.
DAT#6
Four Star Recruit

Re: Pac 12 South

Post by DAT#6 »

I think anyone we beat will fall out of the top 10.
duck55
Senior

Post by duck55 »

DAT#6 wrote:I think anyone we beat will fall out of the top 10.
If OSU can last that long, then stay within a single score of the Ducks in the civil war, they could reasonably stay in the top 10.
bellsduck
Senior
GM: Utah Jazz

Post by bellsduck »

I think if ASU won out they end up around 15, not top 10
AutzenMember
Five Star Recruit

Post by AutzenMember »

bellsduck wrote:I think if ASU won out they end up around 15, not top 10
After looking at the schedules, you're correct. The highest they could finish, barring some major upsets, is 10th. I don't see them being able to pass Ala, Fla, K. St., Ore, LSU, Okla, Georgia, FSU or Louisville/Rutgers. I do think they could pass ND if the Irish lose the last game to USC (which in this scenario, ASU would've beaten), but not likely. Meanwhile, ASU would have been on a 5 game winning streak including UCLA, being the first to take down Oregon State AT Corvallis (provided the beavs take care of the dawgs), piling on USC (in LA) after an Oregon loss, and AT Arizona. They would be the P12 South winner, which would earn some votes at the end as well.

Probably 11th is their best case scenario, 15th a much better guesstimate.
Elduderino
Senior

Post by Elduderino »

AutzenMember wrote:Did you know...Arizona State, Arizona, UCLA and USC all still control thier own destiny in the P12 South? NONE of them have lost a game to another P12 South team, with all of thier collective P12 losses coming at the hands of the North teams.

Unless UCLA gets to the P12CG, it is best for the Ducks if they lose out since they are not on Oregon's schedule.

USC is the popular choice, but I would argue that if ASU goes 10-2 (having to get past UCLA, Oregon State, USC and Arizona to do so), that they would be a top 10 team matching up with the Ducks in the P12CG. Not sure if they can do it, though, with a dessimated defense.

If Oregon beats USC, they will fall out of the top 10, but have chances to get back up with games against ASU, UCLA and Notre Dame. Certainly, that rematch (if this scenario is carried out) would have the most sizzle and national attention.

Arizona already has 3 losses, so if they won out, it would be the least attractive championship matchup.
That would be one frightening P12CG matchup; regardless of how round 1 goes. For them to get hot and roll through what could be 3 top 25 teams to earn their spot.....they'll have to be playing some good football.
AKA: CAgrown
soduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by soduck »

USC is the most likely to remain the highest ranked with a win of course against a one loss, or undefeated nuetered dome, hopefully at the end of season. Obviously USC no doubt would be our scariest opponent to face again, of course, but certainly with the most clout for our win in the conf champs. Think of bump they would get if beating an undefeated domer team. The other advantage for SUC to winning the southern division is they already are full with recruits. They will always be good in recruiting anyway. Having a currently unranked ASU continue to win will help their recruiting and the same for UCLA. So sad to say SUC is probably the best for us to win the south div. But beating them twice would be awesome,too.
AutzenMember
Five Star Recruit

Post by AutzenMember »

Elduderino wrote:
AutzenMember wrote:Did you know...Arizona State, Arizona, UCLA and USC all still control thier own destiny in the P12 South? NONE of them have lost a game to another P12 South team, with all of thier collective P12 losses coming at the hands of the North teams.

That would be one frightening P12CG matchup; regardless of how round 1 goes. For them to get hot and roll through what could be 3 top 25 teams to earn their spot.....they'll have to be playing some good football.
Even if they were on this spectacular roll...they would have to come to Autzen if the Ducks win round one. I like our chances!