Fire Paul Westhead already

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Fire Paul Westhead already

Post by duckgrad99 »

I'm not going to pretend I follow women's hoops regularly, but I still care about all Oregon athletic programs. The team has been awful under Westhead, and is now 3-18 this season. The attendance against Stanford tonight was 1800. Back in the Jody Runge era, Mac Court would nearly sell out for these games. Oregon has top coaches and top teams in just about every other sport. They need to make a move here or get rid of Women's basketball and bring back wrestling.
uostudent
Senior

Re: Fire Paul Westhead already

Post by uostudent »

duckgrad99 wrote:I'm not going to pretend I follow women's hoops regularly, but I still care about all Oregon athletic programs. The team has been awful under Westhead, and is now 3-18 this season. The attendance against Stanford tonight was 1800. Back in the Jody Runge era, Mac Court would nearly sell out for these games. Oregon has top coaches and top teams in just about every other sport. They need to make a move here or get rid of Women's basketball and bring back wrestling.
+1

I don't follow women's basketball either but Westhead is a complete joke of a coach now. He obviously doesn't really give a **** and is just collecting a paycheck. If the athletic department doesn't want to lose so much money on the women's basketball program, they should invest in a top tier coach like they do for their other sports.
“If everybody in this room just want to be real with themselves, this game could have went either way,” he said. “We turned the ball over a lot. We beat ourself. Just be real with yourself right now. We beat ourself.”
-Jameis Winston after Oregon's decisive 59-20 victory over Florida State in the Rose Bowl
gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

Unlike most, I was against Westhead's hiring from the beginning. Bringing in some old has-been to turn around a program and implement an entirely new system is simply idiotic, particularly at the price the Ducks paid. Even if he were successful, he doesn't have enough gas in the tank to be a long term answer and then you are back at square one. Pat Kilkenny did a lot of good things for the Ducks, but this particular hire of his turned out even worse than I thought it was going to be.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

duckgrad99 wrote:I'm not going to pretend I follow women's hoops regularly, but I still care about all Oregon athletic programs. The team has been awful under Westhead, and is now 3-18 this season. The attendance against Stanford tonight was 1800. Back in the Jody Runge era, Mac Court would nearly sell out for these games. Oregon has top coaches and top teams in just about every other sport. They need to make a move here or get rid of Women's basketball and bring back wrestling.
That wouldn't work under Title IX and it is also the reason why we added "Women's Stunts" or whatever the term is so that our cheerleaders can count as scholarship athletes to help with Title IX. It also doesn't help (for men's sports that is) that we have a greater % of female students at UO. Further, I believe the 4 sports that are mandatory for P12 affiliation are Football, MBB, Volleyball and WBB.

I think the Westhead hiring was due to the success of the football team's new approach under CK iirc and it never caught on here. We had one of the best female bball players in the nation who didn't even think twice about UO so as an alumnus I'm fine with the idea of moving in a new direction.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

hard to get much lower than bev smith's final turn at the wheel, but it looks like westhead might do just that.

honestly, i think it's hilarious. karma back on the administration for when bill moos single handedly destroyed the program by firing jody runge. good on the players and the few remaining fans if they ever right the ship, but i was a fan of the program back when we were winning pac-10 titles and were ncaa tournament regulars... and the administration took that all away for nothing. i have no sympathy.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Boom
All Pac-12
GM: Houston Rockets

Post by Boom »

Worst coaching hire in recent memory. Pat Kilkenny was a terrible AD.
rockthief
Senior

Post by rockthief »

Admins mishandled the Runge situation big time

http://espn.go.com/espnw/more-sports/79 ... n-magazine
gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

Boom wrote:Worst coaching hire in recent memory. Pat Kilkenny was a terrible AD.
Uhhh, what in the hell are you talking about? Kilkenny promoted Chip Kelly to head coach, secured the funding for Matt Knight Arena, hired Dana Altman, secured a $100 million legacy endowment from Phil Knight, brought back Oregon baseball (in no small part due to his very large financial donations) and hired George Horton. He did all this for no pay, donating his entire $500,000+ yearly salary back to the university. If not for his poor decision to hire Westhead (which pales in comparison to the aforementioned accomplishments), it would be almost impossible for an AD to have a more successful legacy in such a short period of time.
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

So I turned the womens game on just for a second tonight in the conference tournament and they were up by 22. They just lost by 7. The most pathetic sports program at Oregon. I believe they finished with 4 or 5 wins this season.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Oops!
Last edited by woundedknees on Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

I doubt she would accept or even apply for the job, but I seriously think that, even with the extended hiatus, Runge would be a huge upgrade from PW.

Of course, that kind of move would require everybody involved to have some sizeable balls.

WWW.DraftJodiRunge.com ?
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

woundedknees wrote:I doubt she would accept or even apply for the job, but I seriously think that, even with the extended hiatus, Runge would be a huge upgrade from PW.

Of course, that kind of move would require everybody involved to have some sizeable balls.
New AD, new President. A lot has changed since then but it would be a nice gesture on our part if we extended her an interview as I don't see how Westhead comes back next season. I don't mean a token interview either since it is obvious a change has to be made.