Aaron Gordon puts Oregon back on his list!

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

woundedknees
All-American

Re: Aaron Gordon puts Oregon back on his list!

Post by woundedknees »

duckduckgoose wrote:
woundedknees wrote:Hopefully, Altman can break the trend of major ballers who develop at Oregon High Schools (Yes, I am well aware that Gordon is not an Oregon product) migrating to programs outside the state.

For every Fred Jones, Maarty Leunen or Luke Jackson, there were 2-3 who never gave Oregon a serious look (The Stoudamire clan comes to mind). Some of the blame has to be placed at the feet of past coaching staffs, but it shouldn't be that difficult to sell what Altman is cookin'.

Continued success should help.
We had a Stoudamire on the team. Maybe not the best one, but a solid player.
And that was the point... The top players rarely stay in-state. Hope that changes under Altman.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

woundedknees wrote:
duckduckgoose wrote:
woundedknees wrote:Hopefully, Altman can break the trend of major ballers who develop at Oregon High Schools (Yes, I am well aware that Gordon is not an Oregon product) migrating to programs outside the state.

For every Fred Jones, Maarty Leunen or Luke Jackson, there were 2-3 who never gave Oregon a serious look (The Stoudamire clan comes to mind). Some of the blame has to be placed at the feet of past coaching staffs, but it shouldn't be that difficult to sell what Altman is cookin'.

And that was the point... The top players rarely stay in-state. Hope that changes under Altman.
Helps if there are some good D1 players to recruit. Only one so far to come out of Oregon while Altman has been here was Wiltjer. There really haven't been many Pac-12 caliber players recently and I kind of expect the same for 2014.
Boom
All Pac-12
GM: Houston Rockets

Post by Boom »

woundedknees wrote:I, for one, have no desire to return to the EK "Boom or Bust" cycle of yesteryear... And that is what your statement seems to insinuate will happen.

Altman has already shown the ability to spot and develop talent, as well as coach 'em up for playing as a team.

Methinks things may not be as bad as some predict.
I'm still waiting on this... Past couple of seasons have been built around senior transfers.

I'm cautiously optimistic though..
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

Bottom line: no way would this team have gone to the sweet 16 let alone make the tournament under Kent. Despite guys transferring, scrambling to sign recruits, missing out on a few top players, Altman has done a great job at Oregon. Imagine how good the program can be if they do eventually land players like Gordon?
duckduckgoose
Five Star Recruit

Post by duckduckgoose »

greenyellow wrote:
woundedknees wrote:
duckduckgoose wrote:

Helps if there are some good D1 players to recruit. Only one so far to come out of Oregon while Altman has been here was Wiltjer. There really haven't been many Pac-12 caliber players recently and I kind of expect the same for 2014.
Weren't the two Terrence's coming out of high school during the Altman era?
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

duckduckgoose wrote:
greenyellow wrote:
woundedknees wrote:
duckduckgoose wrote:

They were but had a commitment ceremony like the day after Altman was hired which left him with no reasonable shot to get them. I can forgive him for the 2010 class since he was left with nobody since Kent had basically stopped recruiting and people were transferring left and right. Another Oregon product I forgot was Landen Lucas, but Altman dropped him after they figured he wasn't a good fit for their system.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Right at the beginning... Altman had like a week to try to make an in-road before they commited.

Nigel Williams-Goss was a Portland kid, before transferring to Findley, wasn't he?

duckduckgoose
Five Star Recruit

Post by duckduckgoose »

greenyellow wrote:
duckduckgoose wrote:
greenyellow wrote:
woundedknees wrote:
duckduckgoose wrote:

They were but had a commitment ceremony like the day after Altman was hired which left him with no reasonable shot to get them. I can forgive him for the 2010 class since he was left with nobody since Kent had basically stopped recruiting and people were transferring left and right. Another Oregon product I forgot was Landen Lucas, but Altman dropped him after they figured he wasn't a good fit for their system.
Isn't Goss that is headed to UW basically an Oregon product too? Plus Andrew Andrews looked like a division 1 quality player as a frosh this year.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

woundedknees wrote:Right at the beginning... Altman had like a week to try to make an in-road before they commited.

Nigel Williams-Goss was a Portland kid, before transferring to Findley, wasn't he?
Yeah, but we didn't really recruit him. He wants to be a pg, and we happen to have the guy who started over him.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Although Oregon does not appear to be on the list for either guy, there are 2/2013 Scout 4* PF still uncommitted...

6'6"/195 Derrick Griffin, who currently shows no interest on Scout's data base

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p= ... id=4922827

6'9"/210 Demetrius Henry

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p= ... id=5014401

Jamal Jones, the kid Oregon just offered, is the top ranked uncommitted JUCO player still available. He is ranked 1 spot ahead of current Duck commit, Elgin Cook.

There is one uncommitted JUCO center available, who might have been worth a look... 6'11"/260 Joseph Uchebo, who originally signed with NCSt in 2011. He ended up at Chipola (sound familiar?).

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball ... ebo-135623

http://njcaa.org/colleges_college_playe ... select=556

greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Sounds like pulling in Jones may be difficult since he always wanted an Arkansas offer and now has one.
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

To top it all off, Gordon won MVP of the Mcdonald's all american game tonight.