Colorado @ Oregon (L 48-49)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

OregonFan4Life
All-American

Re: Colorado @ Oregon (Thursday 7pm pst)

Post by OregonFan4Life »

greenyellow wrote:I think it may be time for Singler to be the PG if Artis can't go against Utah. According to an article from OLive, he's the 4th string PG, behind Loyd and Moore, but at this point, Altman should try it since can't hurt. At least they cut down on their turnovers somewhat, but they were having costly ones in the waning minutes.

http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.s ... ducks.html
Yes because Singler never turns the ball over.
MFRDuckFan
Senior

Post by MFRDuckFan »

I was pretty disappointed at this loss, but now seeing the players apologize & posts on twitter reminds me that they are just kids and we're just a bunch of fans who shouldn't criticize them unless we can do better.

Fred Richardson III ‏@FredRichIII

Disappointed alot of people tonight and sincerely apologize
--------------------------------------------

j loyd ‏@youngloyd24

My fault....we gon bounce back just hit a rough patch...imma step up

----------------------------------------------

Damyean Dotson.... ‏@d_dot21 Protected account

this is so frustrating !!!
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

OregonFan4Life wrote:Listen guys, there are many different types of offenses in basketball, and no PG is suited for them all. It's important that each starting PG have a coach who runs an offense that fits his style, but while Loyd is staring with Artis's injury, he's not getting that. Loyd is not meant for the spread offense! When will you guys get that? Artis is meant for that offense though. Altman has made no adjustments since Artis's injury and that is disappointing for me. Loyd is not a perimeter PG, he's an energy PG who wants to drive, kick out, and pass to active teammates. First thing Altman needs to do before changing this offense, is teach the bigs how to set a screen and teach the guards how to roll off a screen. Watch their screens, they're pathetic. I've seen better screens in YMCA kids basketball.
I agree on screen setting being poor lately, but what I've seen more of is the guards taking off before the screen is actually set. This means there's very little window for them to make a pass in the pick-and-roll and also makes it easier for the defense to get a double team on, forcing our perimeter players into lots of bad passes and stolen balls.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

greenyellow wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:Listen guys, there are many different types of offenses in basketball, and no PG is suited for them all. It's important that each starting PG have a coach who runs an offense that fits his style, but while Loyd is staring with Artis's injury, he's not getting that. Loyd is not meant for the spread offense! When will you guys get that? Artis is meant for that offense though. Altman has made no adjustments since Artis's injury and that is disappointing for me. Loyd is not a perimeter PG, he's an energy PG who wants to drive, kick out, and pass to active teammates. First thing Altman needs to do before changing this offense, is teach the bigs how to set a screen and teach the guards how to roll off a screen. Watch their screens, they're pathetic. I've seen better screens in YMCA kids basketball.
I agree on screen setting being poor lately, but what I've seen more of is the guards taking off before the screen is actually set. This means there's very little window for them to make a pass in the pick-and-roll and also makes it easier for the defense to get a double team on, forcing our perimeter players into lots of bad passes and stolen balls.
Oh for sure, half of it is the guards do not roll of the screens tightly and they do take off too early. Overall, the use of screens needs to be worked on because it's been so bad it's pointless.
wvduck34
Three Star Recruit

Post by wvduck34 »

Real crappy game. To lose by 1 is bad enough but that last play was just ridiculous.
Without Artis to run the offense and the lack of creating shots, the team has just stagnated.
Not being hard on Altman though, he runs a system and its based on team players. But
why does this team not have a capable backup point guard who can run the show for
thirty minutes. :?
duck55
Senior

Post by duck55 »

duckduckgoose wrote: I defend him because he is a Duck. It seems in the Internet age that doesn't seem to matter anymore. It bothers me that 'fans' that three games ago were talking about how great this team is are now sitting here calling out all the players and the coach. Fair weather anyone?
+1000 - Altman going from coach of the year candidate to EK 2.0 in just over a week isn't even funny.
thomas time
Senior

Post by thomas time »

Some of the worst offense I've seen in the last three games, the last few times they had the ball they just dribbled around the key and didn't get a good shot. I have a hard time thinking Artis is the whole reason, hopefully they have some scorers or get some next year. I thought Dotson would be more of a scorer
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

thomas time wrote:Some of the worst offense I've seen in the last three games, the last few times they had the ball they just dribbled around the key and didn't get a good shot. I have a hard time thinking Artis is the whole reason, hopefully they have some scorers or get some next year. I thought Dotson would be more of a scorer
He got a lot of his scoring opportunities from driving through open lanes that usually Artis caused due to defenses not being able to sag off him. With Loyd and Moore not presenting threats to score, defenses have sagged, basically turning Dotson into a spectator or jump shooter, which he isn't as adept or consistent at yet.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Kyle's Brother wrote:
duckduckgoose wrote:
Kyle's Brother wrote:You'd think Loyd would just be in the gym all day, every day, shooting hundreds and hundreds of jump shots and threes. I don't get how you can be a 5'8 division 1 player without a shot. His defense has been outstanding though, and he's taking care of the ball. He really needs to never shoot, though.
Geez if you have ever shot a basketball in your life you would know its pretty hard if you have a messed up thumb on your shooting hand. Give the guy a break, he is playing injured.

Why is he taking 8 shots if his thumb is what's making him shoot so poorly?
+1. Understand your body and the game, and compensate in other aspects. Such as not dribbling for hours. Passing the ball more.

I didn't watch all the game because I was busy, but maybe I'm glad I didn't.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

uostudent wrote:Willie Moore isn't a point guard, but neither is Loyd. When Moore is on the court, opposing defenders guard him.

When Loyd is on the court, it's 4 on 5.

For people blaming Loyd's thumb injury.....he has always sucked. Look at his career numbers

3.9 PPG 2.6 Assists 1.5 TO 33.1 FG% 28.0 3PT% 69.4 FT%

Find me a worse scholarship player who plays over 10 minutes per game on a tournament team.

You won't.
The worst part is he's a SENIOR! It really sucks to lose 3 games in a row just because Artis is out, but man...

UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Robstu wrote:How the stripes only get Colorado for 7 fouls the entire game is beyond me. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
I saw this statistic as well and wow. Oregon only 2 attempts at the free throw line all game.

UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

duckduckgoose wrote:
Kyle's Brother wrote:
duckduckgoose wrote:
Kyle's Brother wrote:You'd think Loyd would just be in the gym all day, every day, shooting hundreds and hundreds of jump shots and threes. I don't get how you can be a 5'8 division 1 player without a shot. His defense has been outstanding though, and he's taking care of the ball. He really needs to never shoot, though.
Geez if you have ever shot a basketball in your life you would know its pretty hard if you have a messed up thumb on your shooting hand. Give the guy a break, he is playing injured.

At least 3 of them were with the shot clock running out. What should he do pass it off and get a shot clock violation?
Not hold on the ball for so long to help drain the clock. I'm not gonna blame Loyd, because the rest of our team is total crap lately. However, Loyd has done a great job of killing our team chemistry. He just needs to understand to keep the flow moving, and keep things fluid. He doesn't need to core a lot for us. He really doesn't understand his role. He was at least better off the bench. I see no reason I Willie Moore shouldn't start next game. Something has to change. Again I don't entirely blame Loyd, but the fact we are 0-3 with him as a starter after going 18-2 under Artis is saying something. Time for a change. Please. For everyone's sake.

UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

duckduckgoose wrote:
uostudent wrote:
duckgrad99 wrote:Loyd being able to light us up isn't the point. He still isn't pac-12 material.
This. I don't know why anyone is defending him. I'm not attacking his character. He seems like a nice guy and a hard worker. He's also a good student. The problem is, he's a terrible basketball player and has been ever since he arrived at Oregon. Not everyone pans out. Loyd is a bust.
I defend him because he is a Duck. It seems in the Internet age that doesn't seem to matter anymore. It bothers me that 'fans' that three games ago were talking about how great this team is are now sitting here calling out all the players and the coach. Fair weather anyone?
How is that fair weather? It's called being observant. These last 3 losses (maybe not cal as much) have been UGLY losses. It's one thing to lose in a tough battle when a team is playing good. But our offense these last few games has been rock bottom. And that will fall on the coach. The offense is borderline stagnant. Additionally, considering we went 18-2 against some good competition on the way with Artis falling, I also blame Loyd. Anyone who has been watching the game can easily observe that Loyd isn't fitting in right now (especially offensively), and is destroying our offensive chemistry.

Fair weather would mean I only go to games and root for Oregon when they are doing good.

On top of that, of course I'm going to be critical when a team that beat Arizona, and UCLA/UNLV on the road when they lose at home to Colorado especially in the style we did it.

Point is some things need to change. I'm not even confident we will beat Utah. Altman needs to make some adjustments quickly. Whether that's modifying the offense to fit Loyd more, or trying to get someone else playing PG. When you keep doing the same thing over and over with the same results, that's what we call crazy. Adjust.

I still think Altman is a great coach, but this is a true test for him. And I'm rooting for him to pull through. Gotta beat Utah. Must.

OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
duckduckgoose wrote:
Kyle's Brother wrote:
duckduckgoose wrote:

At least 3 of them were with the shot clock running out. What should he do pass it off and get a shot clock violation?
Not hold on the ball for so long to help drain the clock. I'm not gonna blame Loyd, because the rest of our team is total crap lately. However, Loyd has done a great job of killing our team chemistry. He just needs to understand to keep the flow moving, and keep things fluid. He doesn't need to core a lot for us. He really doesn't understand his role. He was at least better off the bench. I see no reason I Willie Moore shouldn't start next game. Something has to change. Again I don't entirely blame Loyd, but the fact we are 0-3 with him as a starter after going 18-2 under Artis is saying something. Time for a change. Please. For everyone's sake.
Altman is ruining the chemistry because he's putting Loyd in a role he's not meant for. Loyd hustles and loves to play with energy, there is no doubt that his effort has been great, but he's in an offense he shouldn't be in. Anyone can see that the spread offense isn't for a PG like Loyd. Loyd has great court vision and teammate awareness, Loyd likes to throw alley oops to cutting teammates and drive and draw double teams and pass to open teammates. The spread offense doesn't call for that.

Also, we're 1-3 with Loyd, we beat Washington without Artis.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:
duckduckgoose wrote:
Kyle's Brother wrote:
duckduckgoose wrote:

Altman is ruining the chemistry because he's putting Loyd in a role he's not meant for. Loyd hustles and loves to play with energy, there is no doubt that his effort has been great, but he's in an offense he shouldn't be in. Anyone can see that the spread offense isn't for a PG like Loyd. Loyd has great court vision and teammate awareness, Loyd likes to throw alley oops to cutting teammates and drive and draw double teams and pass to open teammates. The spread offense doesn't call for that.

Also, we're 1-3 with Loyd, we beat Washington without Artis.
Sorry, 1-3. You're right. And I don't disagree with the point you're making, but what's the alternative? Playing freshman Willie Moore at point? I mean at this point, why not, but I doubt that goes much better.

Problem is he doesn't have much to work with. I really hope Artis is healthy for next weekend. That's all I know.