Utah @ Oregon (W 73-64)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

uostudent
Senior

Re: Utah @ Oregon (Saturday 5 pm pst)

Post by uostudent »

Loyd can't even make free throws...

Why is he even in the game?
“If everybody in this room just want to be real with themselves, this game could have went either way,” he said. “We turned the ball over a lot. We beat ourself. Just be real with yourself right now. We beat ourself.”
-Jameis Winston after Oregon's decisive 59-20 victory over Florida State in the Rose Bowl
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Loyd is a good free throw shooter, why don't you guys try shooting free throws with a broken thumb on your shooting hand.

The hate on Loyd is getting pathetic. He's no Artis, but the things you guys say about him is just dumb sometimes.
uostudent
Senior

Post by uostudent »

Sounds like the refs were screwing Oregon in the 1st half. In the second half, they've apparently been screwing Utah.

I was watching the end of the ASU/Stanford and ASU got completely screwed. No 10 second violation called on Stanford. Then Jahii Carson was fouled on what should have been an And 1. No call. After the basket, one Stanford player threw an elbow and absolutely decked Carson. Should have been an offensive call. No call.

Larry Scott should be fired if he doesn't get rid of the majority of the basketball refs in the conference. It's hard to believe, but the referees in basketball in the Pac 12 are even worse than the ones in football.
“If everybody in this room just want to be real with themselves, this game could have went either way,” he said. “We turned the ball over a lot. We beat ourself. Just be real with yourself right now. We beat ourself.”
-Jameis Winston after Oregon's decisive 59-20 victory over Florida State in the Rose Bowl
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

OregonFan4Life wrote:Loyd is a good free throw shooter, why don't you guys try shooting free throws with a broken thumb on your shooting hand.

The hate on Loyd is getting pathetic. He's no Artis, but the things you guys say about him is just dumb sometimes.
+1
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

OregonFan4Life wrote:Loyd is a good free throw shooter, why don't you guys try shooting free throws with a broken thumb on your shooting hand.

actually, loyd was shooting about 60% from the line before his injury. that's pretty terrible for a guard. he was high 60% last year, wasn't he?. that ain't good.

i've heard some brutally honest loyd criticism, but i haven't heard anything 'dumb'.
ImageImageImageImageImage
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

oregontrack wrote:

actually, loyd was shooting about 60% from the line before his injury. that's pretty terrible for a guard. he was high 60% last year, wasn't he?. that ain't good.

i've heard some brutally honest loyd criticism, but i haven't heard anything 'dumb'.
"Worst PG in the nation" is pretty dumb.
uostudent
Senior

Post by uostudent »

60% this year. 70% last year. That's not a good free throw, particularly for a guard. Guards (particularly undersized ones) who can't shoot should be able to at least knock down 80% from the line.

Other than Baron Davis and Rajon Rondo, I can't think of many point guards in the NBA who shoot under 70% from the free throw line.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

or infuriatingly closer to the truth than you'd like to admit.
ImageImageImageImageImage
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

uostudent wrote:Sounds like the refs were screwing Oregon in the 1st half. In the second half, they've apparently been screwing Utah.

I was watching the end of the ASU/Stanford and ASU got completely screwed. No 10 second violation called on Stanford. Then Jahii Carson was fouled on what should have been an And 1. No call. After the basket, one Stanford player threw an elbow and absolutely decked Carson. Should have been an offensive call. No call.

Larry Scott should be fired if he doesn't get rid of the majority of the basketball refs in the conference. It's hard to believe, but the referees in basketball in the Pac 12 are even worse than the ones in football.
I'm really surprised it hasn't been fixed by now. I don't think I've ever seen consistently good Pac-12 refs yet, in either sport.
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

Phew. Thank god they stepped up in the second half. Hopefully that is a sign of things to come.
Wayne Pesek
One Star Recruit

Post by Wayne Pesek »

uostudent wrote:

60% this year. 70% last year. That's not a good free throw, particularly for a guard. Guards (particularly undersized ones) who can't shoot should be able to at least knock down 80% from the line.

Other than Baron Davis and Rajon Rondo, I can't think of many point guards in the NBA who shoot under 70% from the free throw line.
Dominic Artis (with two good hands) is shooting 68.9% from the free throw line. Just sayin'
Wayne Pesek
One Star Recruit

Post by Wayne Pesek »

Today's stats for Jonathan "The Pariah" Loyd:

32 minutes
2/4 3-pointers (rest of team 2/12)
3 assists
0 turnovers!!!
1 blocked shot for a 5'7" guy (that's more than Woods, Carter and Austin, combined)
and oh, yes 1/4 free throws (OMG!!! He's horrible! Pull his scholarship!)
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

Wayne Pesek wrote:Today's stats for Jonathan "The Pariah" Loyd:

32 minutes
2/4 3-pointers (rest of team 2/12)
3 assists
0 turnovers!!!
1 blocked shot for a 5'7" guy (that's more than Woods, Carter and Austin, combined)
and oh, yes 1/4 free throws (OMG!!! He's horrible! Pull his scholarship!)

Other than the turnovers, not impressive. I'm not sure exactly what you're seeing.
TheMaehlMan
Junior

Post by TheMaehlMan »

I couldn't believe it when we fell behind by 8 at halftime against Utah, but they found a way in the 2nd half. Altman' half-time adjustments helps get Oregon to push the pace and that opened up a lot of opportunities in the 2nd half. A win is a win, but they are gonna have to play a helluva lot better versus Washington on Wednesday.

Also, using stats to say why Loyd played well is not fair at all. His biggest problem is that he allowed the shot clock to get down very low, and that forced him to give the ball up to someone who had no time to make a good decision. His job is to make sure that the offense doesn't get stuck in those types of situations, and the first half was messy as hell. He did some good things, but I totally understand why some are frustrated. I thought he would play better than he has, but he seems like a situational PG that happens to be stuck playing the starter role with Artis out.

Going to miss the Maehl Man
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

Rebounding and getting to the free throw line 35 times were the difference. We still shot the ball poorly and turned the ball over too much. If Artis is out against the Washington schools, we are in trouble.