Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

rentdodger1
Three Star Recruit

Re: Tyree

Post by rentdodger1 »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
Phenom wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:
oregontrack wrote:i'm going to have to wait until one of these dual-sport athletes actually scores a bucket for us before getting too excited.
But honestly, Tyree is a nationally sought after bball player. More so than any other dual-sport athlete I can think of.
About the same as Pryor.
I meant more than any other dual-sport athlete at Oregon. Obviously there's been better 2 sport athletes. Charlie Ward being one of my favorites.

But yeah, at Oregon that is.
Two best that I can think of are George Martin and Barney Holland. Martin played in the NFL for the Giants and played a couple of years for Harter as a 6th or 7th man off the bench. Barney was an excellent basketball player for the Ducks and a pretty decent football player. Obviously one of the top Oregon High School BB coaches.

Mel Renfro is probably the best dual-sport/ pure athlete. Didn't play BB.

Jordan Kent is/was an excellent athlete and talent, but being the son of a coach might be the worst fundamentally developed b-ball player I've ever seen. Most kids that come from that background are just the opposite.
ducksvb6
Three Star Recruit

Post by ducksvb6 »

Mel Renfo. A+ football and track athlete
TheMaehlMan
Junior

Post by TheMaehlMan »

The crazy thing about Tyree is that he may be the most talented incoming basketball recruit. With that being said, I'm not going to go into next season expecting much. It's so hard to play both sports, and putting on weight in football would probably hurt his game in basketball. If he can become just a solid contributor in basketball and then pan out in football, then that would be awesome. Expecting greatness in both sports is a lot to ask.

Going to miss the Maehl Man
uostudent
Senior

Post by uostudent »

TheMaehlMan wrote:The crazy thing about Tyree is that he may be the most talented incoming basketball recruit. With that being said, I'm not going to go into next season expecting much. It's so hard to play both sports, and putting on weight in football would probably hurt his game in basketball. If he can become just a solid contributor in basketball and then pan out in football, then that would be awesome. Expecting greatness in both sports is a lot to ask.
Agree, but if (hypothetically) Tyree gave up football and focused entirely on basketball, I think he'd be a Bryce Taylor type of player for Oregon.

Darin Johnson was a recruit that I really wanted at Oregon (signed with UW) and imo, Tyree is a better player.
“If everybody in this room just want to be real with themselves, this game could have went either way,” he said. “We turned the ball over a lot. We beat ourself. Just be real with yourself right now. We beat ourself.”
-Jameis Winston after Oregon's decisive 59-20 victory over Florida State in the Rose Bowl
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

He could really help the basketball team. Would likely be one of our better players right now.
Boom
All Pac-12
GM: Houston Rockets

Post by Boom »

duckgrad99 wrote:He could really help the basketball team. Would likely be one of our better players right now.
No he wouldn't... not even close. Unless he has an amazing handle and better than average passing skills (which he doesn't)... then it's unlikely that he would even play this year.

And it's not going to get any easier next season with Moore & Richardson hopefully developing and with the JC guy coming in.
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

Boom wrote:
duckgrad99 wrote:He could really help the basketball team. Would likely be one of our better players right now.
No he wouldn't... not even close. Unless he has an amazing handle and better than average passing skills (which he doesn't)... then it's unlikely that he would even play this year.

And it's not going to get any easier next season with Moore & Richardson hopefully developing and with the JC guy coming in.

I disagree. He is a top basketball recruit. You really don't think he would play over someone like Willie Moore?
TheMaehlMan
Junior

Post by TheMaehlMan »

uostudent wrote: Agree, but if (hypothetically) Tyree gave up football and focused entirely on basketball, I think he'd be a Bryce Taylor type of player for Oregon.

Darin Johnson was a recruit that I really wanted at Oregon (signed with UW) and imo, Tyree is a better player.
I really wanted Johnson, so I hope you're right about Tyree being better than him. If Tyree finds out that he can be an impact player in basketball, then it would make a lot of sense to consider giving up football. That's a very tough decision for a lot of 2 sport players to make though.

dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

At this point I would rather him focus in basketball full time. The football team will probably be just fine without him, the basketball really needs a guy like him.
TheMaehlMan
Junior

Post by TheMaehlMan »

I re-watched some of Tyree's basketball highlights, and he kind of reminds me of JR Smith. He has a smooth and compact shooting stroke, and can really step-back and drain the three. He's not nearly as good of an athlete as Smith, but there are some similarities.

UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

TheMaehlMan wrote:I re-watched some of Tyree's basketball highlights, and he kind of reminds me of JR Smith. He has a smooth and compact shooting stroke, and can really step-back and drain the three. He's not nearly as good of an athlete as Smith, but there are some similarities.
Pretty good comparison actually from what I could tell.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
ducksvb6
Three Star Recruit

Post by ducksvb6 »

FYI for San Diegans. Tyrell and Tyree will play against Mission Bay High School Thursday night at Mission Bay H.S. We are going.
DAT#6
Four Star Recruit

Post by DAT#6 »

ducksvb6 wrote:Mel Renfo. A+ football and track athlete
Don Reynolds was another good two sport athlete, in Football and Baseball. Also Robbie Closs played Baseball and Basketball.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Tyree and Rel are going to have a difficult time playing both sports, much less being stars at both. UCLA declined to offer in basketball because they feel both have already lost quickness from gaining weight for football, and they didn't feel that if one or both are 230 they will even have a shot at getting on the court. There is a reason you don't see lots of guards who play both sports, you can gain weight without losing strait speed, but a lot of times a guy gives up that first step quickness to be bigger for football.