This offense sickens me.

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

TheMaehlMan
Junior

Re: This offense sickens me.

Post by TheMaehlMan »

Yeah, Altman's such a bad coach that Oregon is 7-3 in-conference and has beaten Arizona and UCLA. Did I mention that we have probably no guys that will play in the NBA next year? Almost half of our team is new, and apparently Loyd is much worse than I thought he was (yes, I had lofty expectations after Artis went out). Do you want to know why this team is actually struggling? Or do you want to be set on your dumb stance of Altman being a poor coach? Oregon was winning a lot of close games this year, and Artis presented a legitimate scoring threat at PG. He could create his own shot, and that helps open up the offense for other guys. You take that out of the equation, and force a backup PG into a role he is not capable of holding down, and you get losses. Our margin for error was not very big as is, and Altman has been maximizing this team's ability given the new pieces and young guys.

Honestly, I find it laughable that you watch the games. Do you understand what you're watching?

Going to miss the Maehl Man
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

uostudent wrote:
duckgrad99 wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:Altman is a part of the reason Loyd has played poorly, because Loyd is trying to run an offense that he's not suited for. First this team needs to learn how to set a screen, then they need to learn to space properly. A simple pick and roll would work much better with Loyd. This spread offense is horrible with Loyd and I'm sick of seeing Altman stick with it despite this offense being so unproductive.

Yes, but I'm 99% sure Loyd would be bad in any offense.
Yup.

Without a PG, Altman is going to have to be creative. Willie Moore isn't a shooter per say, but he's at least somewhat capable of putting the ball in the basket. Normally in a situation like this, you'd want to run your offense through your bigs if they are capable scorers. The problem is that Tony Woods is terrible passing out of double teams. Same with Austin. However, Arsalan Kazemi is an excellent passing big and has very good vision. Altman needs to pound it into Kazemi's head to be more aggressive offensively. In turn, he'll begin to draw more double teams, which will create more open looks on the perimeter for guys like Dotson, Singler, and Emory. Altman should also consider playing Carter alongside Kazemi. In very limited play, Carter has shown that he's at least capable of knocking down the open midrange jumper.

I've been watching the Clippers play quite a bit lately and without Chris Paul, they are at their best when they run their offense through Blake Griffin in the post. Everyone thinks that Griffin is just a dunker, but he's actually developed some postgame and has nice footwork. More relevant to this discussion however, is the fact that he's an excellent passer. Once Griffin gets going offensively, he consistently draws double teams which creates opportunities for guys like Eric Bledose/Matt Barnes to cut to the basket or shooters like Caron Butler and Willie Green to knock down open jumpers.
Woods and Austin do not seem to have the proper training. They have no awareness of their surroundings when they get the ball down low. Woods can score quite a bit, but when he isn't scoring the possession usually ends. Again that falls on coaching, these bigs need to be taught better.

I think a simple screen and roll with rotating guards and some backdoor screens would do well. Heck, put Woods at the elbow, and have Kazemi set a low screen allowing Woods to roll to the basket for an alley-oop would be good. Altman is doing nothing to help Loyd. Where have the alley oops gone though? Early in the season we saw them, not Altman just sticks 100% with this spread offense that does nothing without Artis.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
uostudent wrote:
duckgrad99 wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:Altman is a part of the reason Loyd has played poorly, because Loyd is trying to run an offense that he's not suited for. First this team needs to learn how to set a screen, then they need to learn to space properly. A simple pick and roll would work much better with Loyd. This spread offense is horrible with Loyd and I'm sick of seeing Altman stick with it despite this offense being so unproductive.

Yup.

Without a PG, Altman is going to have to be creative. Willie Moore isn't a shooter per say, but he's at least somewhat capable of putting the ball in the basket. Normally in a situation like this, you'd want to run your offense through your bigs if they are capable scorers. The problem is that Tony Woods is terrible passing out of double teams. Same with Austin. However, Arsalan Kazemi is an excellent passing big and has very good vision. Altman needs to pound it into Kazemi's head to be more aggressive offensively. In turn, he'll begin to draw more double teams, which will create more open looks on the perimeter for guys like Dotson, Singler, and Emory. Altman should also consider playing Carter alongside Kazemi. In very limited play, Carter has shown that he's at least capable of knocking down the open midrange jumper.

I've been watching the Clippers play quite a bit lately and without Chris Paul, they are at their best when they run their offense through Blake Griffin in the post. Everyone thinks that Griffin is just a dunker, but he's actually developed some postgame and has nice footwork. More relevant to this discussion however, is the fact that he's an excellent passer. Once Griffin gets going offensively, he consistently draws double teams which creates opportunities for guys like Eric Bledose/Matt Barnes to cut to the basket or shooters like Caron Butler and Willie Green to knock down open jumpers.
Woods and Austin do not seem to have the proper training. They have no awareness of their surroundings when they get the ball down low. Woods can score quite a bit, but when he isn't scoring the possession usually ends. Again that falls on coaching, these bigs need to be taught better.

I think a simple screen and roll with rotating guards and some backdoor screens would do well. Heck, put Woods at the elbow, and have Kazemi set a low screen allowing Woods to roll to the basket for an alley-oop would be good. Altman is doing nothing to help Loyd. Where have the alley oops gone though? Early in the season we saw them, not Altman just sticks 100% with this spread offense that does nothing without Artis.
I don't think he wanted to change the offense too much since Artis is coming back soon (hopefully) but you'd think he would have gone to something that would emphasize the remaining talents better.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

TheMaehlMan wrote:Yeah, Altman's such a bad coach that Oregon is 7-3 in-conference and has beaten Arizona and UCLA. Did I mention that we have probably no guys that will play in the NBA next year? Almost half of our team is new, and apparently Loyd is much worse than I thought he was (yes, I had lofty expectations after Artis went out). Do you want to know why this team is actually struggling? Or do you want to be set on your dumb stance of Altman being a poor coach? Oregon was winning a lot of close games this year, and Artis presented a legitimate scoring threat at PG. He could create his own shot, and that helps open up the offense for other guys. You take that out of the equation, and force a backup PG into a role he is not capable of holding down, and you get losses. Our margin for error was not very big as is, and Altman has been maximizing this team's ability given the new pieces and young guys.

Honestly, I find it laughable that you watch the games. Do you understand what you're watching?
Yes I'm watching the games and there are plenty of players with NBA potential, including Woods. I'm sorry I don't just use Artis being injured as an excuse for my team losing, but I think this team needs to just work around it and beat teams they are capable of. Artis is great, and it helps having him, but I'm not the one to just sit around and say "Oh well, Artis is out so it's all good". Last I checked games without Artis count just as much as games with Artis. And if Altman was maximizing his team's ability, Woods would be doing a lot better. Altman obviously teaches defense well, as Oregon has played defense very well for most of the season (few games where their defense didn't look that good), but most agree that even with Artis the offense struggled at times. I'm all for the spread offense with Artis, but I don't understand how Altman didn't recognize that the offense needed to be changed once Artis was out, Loyd is not meant for a spread offense. Heck, even a motion offense would be better off right now with Loyd! Something needs to change until Artis is back.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

greenyellow wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:
uostudent wrote:
duckgrad99 wrote:

Yup.

I don't think he wanted to change the offense too much since Artis is coming back soon (hopefully) but you'd think he would have gone to something that would emphasize the remaining talents better.
Thank you! That's what I've been trying to say. It seems everyone just wants to say "Loyd sucks", but Loyd wouldn't being near as bad in an offense he's suited for, which is NOT the spread offense. Maybe I'm being to harsh on Altman, I've never been a big fan of Altman since he got here, but as of now, there is no doubt in my mind that he deserves a little flack for not doing anything to change the offense in Artis's departure. Also, Altman needs to find a way to get Dotson more involved, Dotson seems to have lost some confidence. He has a lot of talent and it hasn't been utilized as of late.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

greenyellow wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:
duckgrad99 wrote:

No he wouldn't, he's very quick and energetic, and with the right offense he's fine. Granted he's no Artis, but if Altman were to put in a difference offense which suits Loyd's strength (quickness and energy and NOT perimeter shooting like Artis) then the Ducks would be doing fine.

Also, it hit me tonight that I can't figure out why any quality big would want to play for Altman. Woods is big, athletic for his size, and skilled. He could be dominant, but Altman's offense is ruining him. He's not learning the proper fundamentals and despite his ability to get good positioning down low, he does not get the ball near enough as his team is passing the ball around the perimeter wasting a possession.
The passing lanes to get the ball down low are now clogged with no competent outside shooter on the floor. Plus, the perimeter players are having a hard time handling any pressure put on them due to poor positioning and decision making. Plus, they haven't been accurate enough lately with entry passes to keep Woods or any of the posts in positions they like to do their preferred moves in the post.
The spacing on the floor lately has been horrible, this is why the passing lanes have been clogged so much and partially why there has been an increase in turnovers.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Phenom wrote:Altman is too blame a little IMO. Very rarely is our half-court offense fluid...even with Artis in there. It was the same last year except we had Devoe to bail us out a lot of the time.

Altman is a fantastic coach, but our offense has never looked all that fluid or potent. Don't know if it's the talent, the coach, or a combo of both.
I think it's a combo. He doesn't have the talent that can shoot the ball consistently enough to keep teams honest with all the players on the floor. There's usually one or two players out there at a time that the defense can sag off and not worry about them hurting them. Plus, he's also been a bit stubborn in continuing to run the same sets regardless of the talent on the floor. Some players just aren't made for his standard offense he runs with Artis and other more skilled PGs he's had.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

greenyellow wrote:
Phenom wrote:Altman is too blame a little IMO. Very rarely is our half-court offense fluid...even with Artis in there. It was the same last year except we had Devoe to bail us out a lot of the time.

Altman is a fantastic coach, but our offense has never looked all that fluid or potent. Don't know if it's the talent, the coach, or a combo of both.
I think it's a combo. He doesn't have the talent that can shoot the ball consistently enough to keep teams honest with all the players on the floor. There's usually one or two players out there at a time that the defense can sag off and not worry about them hurting them. Plus, he's also been a bit stubborn in continuing to run the same sets regardless of the talent on the floor. Some players just aren't made for his standard offense he runs with Artis and other more skilled PGs he's had.
They are more than capable of making threes when open, but with the lack of penetration inside defenders are purely focusing on the perimeter play of Oregon not allowing them to get any open shots.
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

I think we overachieved the first half of the season. We won a lot of close games. I believe that we were picked to finish 7th in the pac-12. We lost a few really talented players and a significant portion of our scoring. Other than Singler, we were starting 2 freshman, a new player in Kazemi, and Woods who isn't really a big minute player. We don't have 1 great player, and one player that can completely take over the game and can be counted on for a clutch shot. The senior leadership hasn't been there. I mean imagine if we had Sim, Joseph, Asholu, etc. I think Altman is doing all he can with the current roster.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

duckgrad99 wrote:I think we overachieved the first half of the season. We won a lot of close games. I believe that we were picked to finish 7th in the pac-12. We lost a few really talented players and a significant portion of our scoring. Other than Singler, we were starting 2 freshman, a new player in Kazemi, and Woods who isn't really a big minute player. We don't have 1 great player, and one player that can completely take over the game and can be counted on for a clutch shot. The senior leadership hasn't been there. I mean imagine if we had Sim, Joseph, Asholu, etc. I think Altman is doing all he can with the current roster.
No one has that killer instinct at the end of games, willing to take the ball late in a shot clock or game. Artis was the closest they had and and now that job, you'd think, would fall onto Singler but he's looked all out of sorts this season and can't be trusted anymore to create his own shot.
wvduck34
Three Star Recruit

Post by wvduck34 »

I don't think the offense is broke so much as its just missing the key piece. Altman runs a system and
relies on all the players to be more than the sum of their parts. Without a point guard who can
control the ball, create shots, open up passing lanes and be a scoring threat; it just doesn't
work. Maybe we should be asking the question as to why he hasn't recruited a backup who can
mimic Artis? At least for a little while .....
thomas time
Senior

Post by thomas time »

The offense has looked UGLY lately, and I find it hard to believe it's all cause of Artis. They just dribble the ball up top and not run plays, try going to Dotson or Tony.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

wvduck34 wrote:I don't think the offense is broke so much as its just missing the key piece. Altman runs a system and
relies on all the players to be more than the sum of their parts. Without a point guard who can
control the ball, create shots, open up passing lanes and be a scoring threat; it just doesn't
work. Maybe we should be asking the question as to why he hasn't recruited a backup who can
mimic Artis? At least for a little while .....
Well considering there is a missing piece currently this offense is broken right now.
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

This is actually really simple. When you have 2 players on the floor AT THE SAME TIME that are NOT capable of drawing iron on their shots if they are further than 5 feet from the basket, then your half court offense is going to suck a$$. You can't expect Emory/Dotson, Woods, and Singler to play 3 on 5 every possession and shoot 50% from the floor. The defense is able to cheat into passing lanes and double potential scorers all night long. Kazemi and Loyd need to be able to take and make a mid-range jumpshot or the losses will continue to pile up.

Based on what I have seen the last 4 games, Emory should NEVER come off the floor. He is the best player by far. I still think Altman should try Singler, Dotson, Emory, Woods, and Kazemi as the main line up. At least we have players that can score the ball, even if handling suffers a little. Moore and Carter are clearly not the answer right now. Those guys have a LONG way to go.
rockthief
Senior

Post by rockthief »

northbeachsf wrote:This is actually really simple. When you have 2 players on the floor AT THE SAME TIME that are NOT capable of drawing iron on their shots if they are further than 5 feet from the basket, then your half court offense is going to suck a$$. You can't expect Emory/Dotson, Woods, and Singler to play 3 on 5 every possession and shoot 50% from the floor. The defense is able to cheat into passing lanes and double potential scorers all night long. Kazemi and Loyd need to be able to take and make a mid-range jumpshot or the losses will continue to pile up.

BTW...Moore and Carter are not the answer right now. I agree with Altman that we are better off playing 3 on 5 on one side of the court. Those guys have a LONG way to go.
^^^ yes. And 0-7 shooting is abysmal. How is it even possible? I think Loyd is the Brady Leaf of the basketball team. He is an ill fit for the system. If that is the case then why is he on the team? 36% shooting for the team. dang!