Oregon @ Washington (W 65-52)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Kyle's Brother
Three Star Recruit

Re: Oregon @ Washington (Wed 8pm pst)

Post by Kyle's Brother »

Kyle's Brother wrote:
gogreen55 wrote:
Kyle's Brother wrote:I hope Altman is willing to swallow his pride a bit and use the "PG"-less line up a bit more against Washington State. We looked absolutely dominant at both ends when we had Dotson/Singler/Emory/Kazemi in together.
I don't know about the "swallow his pride" part of the statement, but I definitely agree that a PG-less lineup should be used more frequently if possible (hard to ask guys like Singler to play even more minutes than they already are though). Willie Moore has been a complete liability on both ends of the floor. As terrible as Loyd has been offensively (prior to tonight), at least he brings it on the defensive end. If Loyd's injury limits him at all, Moore may be forced in to action just from a numbers standpoint. However, he should be played as an absolute last resort, which is basically what he has been used as anyway.
Yeah, the pride bit was probably a projection on my part. I just get the feeling that Dana doesn't like admitting when he's wrong about things. Like the way we've tended to slow games down around the 4 minute mark and hold the ball until the final few seconds of every possession when we have the lead. Seems like he's made a lot of close games out of games we should have run away with by doing that.

But either way, our best lineup without Artis is clearly the one without a "true" PG.

I disagree completely about Loyd's defense, btw. I've never seen someone so widely lauded as a good defensive player get beaten on the perimeter so easily and so often. His man constantly breaks him down, goes to the hoop, draws the second defender, and either gets fouled or dishes to a big man for the easy dunk. It draws our post player out of position and makes it way, way too easy for our opponents to score. It all starts with Loyd playing absolutely abysmal defense in the half court game.

His reputation as a good defender comes solely from having quick hands and stealing the ball in transition defense and stripping people going to the hoop as a second defender. Definitely valuable traits, but completely overshadowed by his absolutely woeful on-ball perimeter defending. If only his feet were as fast as his hands. He should watch the way Kazemi moves his feet and try to emulate him.
gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

Kyle's Brother wrote: I disagree completely about Loyd's defense, btw.
That is fine, everybody is entitled to their own opinion. I don't think anyone on the team, or Altman himself, would agree with you though. As Altman has correctly pointed out multiple times, as much as Oregon's offense has struggled with Artis out, the defense has actually improved, specifically due to the fact Loyd is playing more. Loyd's defense is also why Altman would sometimes play Loyd over Artis at the end of games, even when Artis was healthy. Furthermore, the value of Loyd's defensive effort is magnified when he is taken out of the game and replaced by Willie Moore, who would be a more fitting target for your defensive criticism.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Loyd does get beat sometimes, but hell so does Dotson, Artis, Singler, and Emory and I see those guys get beat more often. Playing 1 on 1 defense is very hard in today's game with how athletic and skilled players are. Loyd's lack of height can be a problem but overall his defense is very well. I've seen him give multiple guards trouble bringing the ball down the court with his pressure.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

So happy for Loyd to have the game he had last night. The kid has been getting beaten like a rented mule on message boards. Hope he is ok and can continue to play the way he has the last game and a half. When Artis comes back we will need Loyd to give solid minutes in relief, if we want to make any kind of run in the NCAA.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

+1 to Loyd. Played much better. And that's all he needs to do, is just manage the team. Let others make plays around you, and let the game come to you.

Good win, although Washington is pretty awful this year. Gotta beat Wazzu now.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Re: Oregon @ Washington (W 65-52)

Post by OregonFan4Life »

I heard Loyd only had a hyper extension and no major injury. Great news if true! Though I imagine he'll still be out Saturday.
woundedknees
All-American

Re: Oregon @ Washington (W 65-52)

Post by woundedknees »

On another note... When was the last time Oregon had 20 wins, this early in the season?
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!